Too Funny! Has to be shared. - Page 5 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 02-03-2017, 03:09 PM   #41
Registered Member

So a 16 year old can drink if an 18 year old "adult" is present?

I think in the US they would call that child abuse or neglect. It might be legal for an underage child to have a drink while under his-her parents supervision.
Lots of these murders are young adults (and children) who are gang members and criminals otherwise, whose moral background is absent or missing altogether.

Long ago there was a group of hookers in Chicago, I believe 6 adults, with something like 12 kids stuffed into closets while the adults serviced their "johns".

Together the 6 women collected over $6000 a month in welfare and child support (state paid) payments, while their children lived in their own filth. It was truly disgusting.

In all the time I have been armed as a concealed carry permit holder, I have never witnessed any crime of any type, possibly with the exception of traffic incidents. Since 1990 I never had to brandish or even imply I would use my legal weapon. Not once in almost 30 years.

I did have a customer once tell me that he had thought of robbing me, but since I always treated him fairly when working on his car that he did not try. I showed him the 45 auto under the counter and told him I was sure glad he did not try and we kept our relationship crime free. That's the truth whether you wish to believe it or not.

If you mapped the locations where the vast majority of murders in the US occur, a large portion are in a few areas of concentration, that are easily avoidable for most of us. Look for laws to be passed that allow weapons to be discovered quickly and preferably without the carriers knowledge so apprehension can come without warning and hopefully without an armed conflict.

Old 02-03-2017, 03:47 PM   #42
LDB
Registered Member

You will also find virtually all the criminal use of guns are traceable to voters of one particular leaning, the wrong one.

LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 04:05 PM   #43
Registered Member

Ok I respect your points. It still seems absolute insanity in this day and age for a human to feel the need to carry a loaded weapon, to defend themselves against fellow humans, at least to me, but the UK is a very peaceful nation.

It's like the other objects you mentioned, yes anything can be used as a weapon, and why take those objects away from the good people too? I'm perfectly ok with not being allowed to carry a knife, a hammer, or any long object in public unless I have a valid excuse, if I'm not allowed, neither are the bad people. By reducing the number of dangerous weapons in public places, you also reduce the risk of them objects being used as weapons if that makes sense.

If there were any stats to back this up, you might have a case. But the US has a tiny population, but the biggest jail population in the world, so guns are obviously no deterrent for criminals and neither is the thought of being electrocuted to death or spending life behind bars. How do you think the government should protect children? I see some Schools have airport style metal detectors and armed guards outside schools, would it be unreasonable to have a watch tower at ever school like they do in prisons?

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 04:36 PM   #44
Registered Member

In the small close proximity to myself it's like a miniature "crime free zone".

I generally do not carry with me (no reason to since retirement), only in my vehicle, unless as I have done many times, I am carrying a significant amount of cash (max was $10,500). When making night deposits of up to $5000 I would drive around the bank to look for a robber hiding in the bushes or other places. I stop at the night deposit box and make my deposit in less that 5 seconds, with my insurance policy in my other hand.

Last stuck another human being in anger was 1963 after I was blindsided, accidentally side hand chopped him in the larynx (blind shot) and watched my friend gasping for breath until he started turning gray, when he finally regained his breathing ability.

I was 13, thought I had killed him for a short time, never struck another human being since, 54 years ago this year.

Gun is an old S&W Chief's special, that actually belonged to the Hampton chief of Police, who gave it to my father in law after he was the victim of a home invasion robbery. He (father in law) passed in 2000. The same chief sang the eulogy at his funeral.
Old 02-03-2017, 05:26 PM   #45
LDB
Registered Member

But see, the fatal flaw in your logic is that by you not carrying a prohibited knife or baseball bat or toaster in public in no way lessens the criminals doing so. It's part of the whole being a criminal thing, ignoring the laws the honest people obey.

Do you have a fire extinguisher in your home? In your car? First aid kit? Why have the proper tools and equipment to protect yourself, your home and your family when all you need to do is call 911 and wait? Not sure what the UK version of 911 is so substitute appropriately.

I understand for you it doesn't but for many people it makes total sense to be properly trained, equipped and prepared to protect one's family completely, not just against fires and scrapes.

Old 02-04-2017, 12:12 AM   #46
Registered Member

Well I'm going to leave it here guys, we're never going to see eye to eye on this matter, but I thank and respect you all for discussing it with me.

I just wish the US were willing to do a trial, just to see the results. Perhaps not remove guns, but stop manufacturing and selling ammunition for a year. 100,000 people, and 10,000 children is alot to die or have life changing injuries every year, but if it's worth it to have the right to "self defence" then I guess it's just collateral.

Old 02-04-2017, 04:45 AM   #47
LDB
Registered Member

The flaw in that scenario returns to who is the problem. The criminals who cause all of the problems wouldn't participate. The only result would be more people hurt and victimized due to even less ability to protect themselves. The honest citizens who would follow the law, even if unhappily and unwillingly, are not and never have been the problem. But it's been an interesting discussion.

Old 02-04-2017, 07:24 AM   #48
Registered Member

Yeah, Paul. I know how ya feel.

I suppose I can now letcha in on a secret about EVs. Teslas are selling well in America, because, with an electric motor taking up much less space, we can now carry more ammunition in the spacious front boot.
ChewChewTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 02:22 PM   #49
Registered Member

C'mon Doug, it's called a "frunk" (front trunk) another word to add to the Collins English Dictionary, along with the thousands of other new words being invented every year

Old 02-04-2017, 04:07 PM   #50
LDB
Registered Member

I think it's only called a "frunk" by a "drunk". Doubt I'll ever have one but it will be a trunk regardless of position.