Hello fellow fuel economy enthusiast. It's time for me to sell my 1991 CRX HF and I'm posting it for sale here on gassavers.org a few days ahead of posting it on Craigslist/Honda-Tech/Ebay to give you guys first crack at it since I know you all know how hard it is to come across a non molested or 'tuned' CRX HF (or a Civic VX for that matter) before it’s scooped up because you don’t live nearby or just missed it by a day or two.
COMMENT ON PICTURE SIZE
I spent lots of time hosting each of the 10.1 MP pictures I took with my Canon Rebel XTi on imageshack.us at 1023x768 so that you could see them large and with plenty of detail, but for some reason they only show up on here at 800x600.
If you look in the pictures properties and cut and paste the image URL in your browser you'll be able to see the larger picture.
For those that don’t want to get bogged down in the long description ahead and just want to skip to the pictures let me help you out here by giving you the basics.
QUICK BASIC CAR FACTS:
Model: CRX HF
Mileage is 153,XXX miles
Title is clear (I have a printed copy of a carfax report if you'd like to see it in person), I may be able to get a PDF copy to send it to anyone seriously interested.
WARNING this is a LONG ad because...
I really hate finding car ads that the descriptions are way too vague and short or the pictures shown are way too small, blurry, or just plain odd angles. These ads typically raise more questions than they answer. This long ad write up and large amounts of pictures will hopefully be just the opposite and will answer all questions but if you have any please don’t hesitate to ask or send me a PM/email.
If you want a quicker reply shoot me your number in the PM/email and I’ll give you a call.
REASON FOR SELLING
I had a long grueling search finding a bone stock CRX HF that I could use it for it's intended purpose, great mileage, not 'tuned' or engine swapped. I searched high and low for the holy grail bone stock CRX HF, my over 6 month search took me to all over the US.
I searched and literally went to see them all over. From San Francisco (where I eventually found it), Sacramento (I saw two of them but they had poor engine swaps with issues), Los Angeles (I send a $250 deposit then after seeing it in person and realizing it had structural damage which was very poorly repaired, the seller turned from friend to foe and long story short I never got my deposit back and wasted money on my car rental since I thought I only needed a one way ride to LA), San Diego (I saw two of them), Portland, Seattle, Phoenix, Virginia (I went to visit my girlfriend who lived there at the time so I went out to visit her and to look at two CRX HF's while I was out there but they were all rusted and beat to hell but I was ready to buy and ship it back to California using DAS shipping for $600 coast to coast).
I was/am very picky so I stand behind my CRX for sure. I have spared no expense in looking for a very stock HF and in keeping my CRX very road worthy in order to save $$$ in my commute since my other car, a Nissan 350Z regularly got me 16-20mpg on premium gas. I mostly drove this from Sunnyvale (near San Jose CA) to Santa Barbara for work on a semi regular basis for work so it had to be reliable for me to drive it that far.
Well now I have a whopping 2.1 mile commute to work, so right now I'm spending more money on registration and insurance than it is saving me since I don't drive long distances. I'm definitely not really utilizing it for what I had originally intended when I thought I was going to have a long commute for the foreseeable future, so I figure to sell it while it's still relatively low mileage and in great running condition.
I know some of you guys are from back east so let me state right off the bat that this car has absolutely NO RUST at all. Gotta love CA cars. I’m also willing to help with any shipping arrangements to get it to you if necessary.
- Great mileage (No need for explanation for gassavers.org members but it is EPA rated at 49 city 51 highway)
- Stock drivetrain (Motor is D15B6 and transmission is stock HF running in the low 2000 RPM range at 75 MPH as shown in picture below)
- Comes with recent smog certificate (Some sellers try to sell as-is and leave it up to you to smog it...I wonder why? Because they know it won't pass and it's a headache and expensive list of repairs to get it to pass emissions properly...not an issue here!)
- Drives great (No shimming or shaking of any sort)
- Idles perfect (No fluctuating of any kind)
- Clean overall body (minor scratches/dings/dents normal on a 16+ year old car)
- Glove compartment is in perfect shape.
- Original Paint with no rust whatsoever (surface or anything else)
- Grey Interior (favored by most over the blue interior)
- I have driven this car long distan2ces from San Jose to Los Angeles on isolated highway I-5 as well as San Jose to Santa Barbara on highway 101 with no worries or problems what so ever and would not hesitate to drive it anywhere at anytime. I'm still getting 50 mpg when driving long distances on highway and I easily get over 40 mpg in city driving. It's fully maintained and drives great. Again I plan on putting it up on Craigslist in the next few days but for now you guys are the first ones to see it. The body is clean, no major dents, scratches, just normal wear and tear. Did I mention it has NO RUST! :P
MAINTENANCE WITHIN 800 MILES AND/OR 4 - 5 MONTHS
All this work was performed at Honda Craft of Sunnyvale CA (it's a Honda only shop). I have the receipt for the things I've done to it and also have some of the receipts from the previous owner too.
- Original transmission broke internally so I replaced w/used stock HF transmission (It was very difficult to locate and obtain another HF transmission but I was persistent and got one from a 1988 CRX HF) ($250 plus installation labor)
- Both new axles (figured it was cheap insurance even though the previous owner had installed new ones not too long before I bought it from them) ($200 plus installation labor)
- New Honda OEM rear main seal replaced ($26 plus installation labor)
- New Exedy clutch (Had to due to different spline count on 88 transmission) ($100 plus installation labor)
- New pressure plate (Had to due to different spline count on 88 transmission) (see clutch)
- New bearings (Cheap insurance) (see clutch)
- New flywheel (88 Transmission case is too small to reuse the 1991 flywheel) ($90 plus installation labor)
- Just passed CA SMOG inspection (CA is the most stringent for this test and it passed with flying colors). ($60)
- Replaced the non-catalytic converter exhaust the previous owner had installed (he must have paid a SMOG shop $$$ to have it illegally pass) with a stock CRX Si exhaust set up including brand new Catalytic converter (no wonder I passed SMOG so easily!), Modern Muffler receipt included. ($300)
OLDER MAINTENANCE WITHIN LAST 6K - 8K MILES AND/OR 12 - 16 MONTHS
- New timing belt (w/ parts receipt and old parts as proof)
- New water pump (w/ parts receipt and old parts as proof)
- New axles (w/receipts but I had to replace due to different spline count on 88 transmission)
- New clutch (w/receipts but I had to replace due to different spline count on 88 transmission)
- New Bosch Platinum spark plugs (receipt)
- New spark plug wires with lifetime warranty (receipt)
- New distributor cap (receipt)
- New distributor cap rotor (receipt)
- New FRAM air filter (receipt)
- New FRAM fuel filter (receipt)
- Oil changed regularly
EXTRAS AND/OR UPGRADES
- Complete set of 13" VX wheels. Straight and true. Comes with caps and with very good tires with about 80% treadwear still remaining. You all know how hard it is to come by a clean set of these very light weight OEM alloy wheels. A set just went for $443 plus shipping on ebay.
- DX seats in excellent condition replaced stock worn out HF seats (properly mounted with all 4 bolts holding seat securely, not half assed with welding or using less then the total bolts) ($200)
- Alarm with key fob
- Alarm activated power locks
- Coilovers on all four corners
- Stereo with very nicely installed Kenwood tweeters on doors and in rear cargo area.
Brutally honest here because I hate liars trying to pass off junk or problems on others by not disclosing known problems or issues.
- Front bumper has grill insert and one of the fake air ducts cut out by previous owner
- Front/Rear bumpers (on one of the sides) have a good 2" - 3" scratch on them.
- Front bumper clear lens cracked (drivers side)
- Drivers side B pillar is missing but I bought a replacement from a fellow CRX owner just have not installed it, so it comes included (shown in the cargo area in some of the pictures)
- Climate control cracked…ok broken but this is typical of CRX's. I might have another as a spare, if I find it it’s yours too.
- The clutch could use an slight adjustment since I didn't do or (know how to do it), it makes a slight clicking sound that goes away when (A) it warms up or (B) you press the clutch in (and it's only audible when in first gear at very slow speeds like under 5 mph). There's nothing wrong with the transmission or motor (as explained to me by both Honda shop mechanics and shop owner), they said since it's a used transmission it will get better as I drive it more and all assured me all is fine. It's nothing serious as my gas log shows me still averaging 40+ mpg city and 50 mpg on highway trips, but again I want to be very clear and upfront of things so you can't say I didn't point anything out. I ran into that a lot and hated wasting my time when they could have been honest with me. The original transmission that I replaced sounded like you threw metal utensils down a sink and turned on the garbage disposal!
- The windshield has a crack in it which it has had since I bought it but it hasn't bothered me enough to replace it, plus it's not in the drivers view.
- Slight tears in the door panels (see pictures)
- Slight tear in drivers seat bolster fabric but the foam in intact. (see pictures)
After comparing what other CRX HF's are going for (I have saved the CL ads of comparable CRX HF's) I think $3200 is a fair price considering the regular and major maintenance done and overall condition. From browsing this forum I know there are some members on here that will think this is too much for a 1991 CRX HF and will reference KBB.com values, I think most of us know it’s the market demand that determines the actual prices.
Price is negotiable if you prefer to save $$$ and buy it with stock steel wheels instead of the VX wheels shown or if you buy it with another set of DX seats I have that are not quite as good of condition as the seats installed now.
I paid more for it when I got it and have put a lot more into it getting it to the shape/condition you see it now but it’s time I give it up to someone else that will appreciate it and get good use out of it.
I'm in Sunnyvale CA 94086, between San Francisco and San Jose.
OK that's enough describing, here are the pictures.
Passenger Side View 1
Passenger Rear View 1
Passenger Front View 1
Drivers Rear View 1
Passenger Rear Quarter Angle View
Drivers Rear Quarter Angle View
Under Hood Extremely Clean
Engine Bay Is Stock Stock Stock & Clean
Drivers Side View
I have a spare B pillar piece
Passenger Side Front
Passenger Side Middle
Passenger Side Rear
Passenger Front Side Angle View
Drivers Side Front
Drivers Middle View
I have a spare B pillar piece.
White in pictures are reflections not scratches.
Drivers Rear View
White in pictures are reflections not scratches.
Drivers Side Angle View
Rear Quarter Angle
Gage Cluster & Gas Receipt
273 miles on trim odometer using 5.69 gallons = 47.97 mpg!
I would have broken 50mpg easily but I running late and was driving an average of 75mpg (See Next Picture) and I still had my drag inducing Yakima bike rack installed plus I had some heavy items in the cargo area.