2008 Smart fortwo 400 mile review - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-07-2008, 07:54 PM   #31
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three6Eight View Post
There are few cars that arent Ferrari's and Lambos that can get a crowd.

Deloreans, Kodiak Pick Up Conversions, Hummer H1's and Smartfortwos.

The other day I saw a crowd at walmart around a car and I wanted to see what it was and it was a Smart, crazy how small they are. I wouldnt mind having one, no money though
whatever you do dont drive a chevette to a chevy dealer to buy parts i came out and a swarm of salespeople were surrounding it

also if your ever in one and see another one, its a unwritten law you must wave to them even if its hailing out mostly because you know you and the other guy are thinking the same thing: holy hell theres another one still driving around!!!

VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 06:00 AM   #32
Registered Member

I have a couple questions for anybody driving a fortwo:
Have you compared the manual and power steering? Is the power a must?

Are you using regular or premium gas?

trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 09:05 AM   #33
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMX View Post
In my opinion, you shouldn't just rate the car on one day of long driving. There are many problems that can possibly come up after driving a car for a while, as well as realizing little things you actually don't like about a car.
ha i disagree. i first days driving review is very valuable! its not like he didnt disclose that or anything. of course there are going to be other pros and cons that will arise later. nobody said this was the end all review on the smart.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:03 PM   #34

VetteOwner - I'll still even love Chevettes whatever bad things you say about the little Smart. I ACTUALLY saw a Chevette today! Driver was looking at me as I was looking at the Chevette when it went by. There are about 3 around these parts - I cover a lot of ground too, about a 100 mile radius and I know most back roads etc.

trollbait - I didn't personally try it, most that I know that did compare said you don't really need it. The other people I know that got them with their cars said the P/S is really nice in parking situations. IMO, one more thing to break that is difficult to get at.

Yes, I use Premium. After paying for diesel in my other cars, I don't mind. Also a few of my other non-diesels gas guzzlers that I don't list here require Premium. Old cars - high compression.

thisisntjared-
Thanks for the positivity.
BumblingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 06:33 PM   #35
Registered Member

a buddy of mine has a blue (and I mean blue) vette. it is his baby. he was getting 42mpg or so before he did some other stuff to it. he has a love for the chevettes that rivals my love for the metros. you gotta love your first car.

there is nothing like the look on someones face when they see a 25 year old car shine from a fresh coat of wax, it is truely an amazing thing. especially one that is not considered a "classic muscle car".

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 07:46 AM   #36
Registered Member

wowza that is blue! lol my paints cracked and chipping but its shiney lol. i see hes got the BMW rims on there.

yea i get alot of strange looks too :P
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:15 AM   #37
Registered Member

he tells people that it glows in the dark. (and it kinda does)

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 06:28 PM   #38

UPDATE!! I turned over 2000 miles today. I decided to go ahead and change the oil as it isn't touted as some special break-in oil (like a Honda). They apparently put in synthetic from the get-go. I put a slightly bigger capacity filter in with Amsoil 5W-30. I've put 7 tanks of gas in this thing and am averaging 42mpg COMBINED driving.

Things I wish it had:
CENTER ARMREST
CRUISE CONTROL

Those are the two big things. As far as changing up what I initially said about the car 2000 miles ago - I WOULDN'T CHANGE A THING.

I have a feeling the handling would be a little squirrelly for people used to driving behemoth sedans, but after driving my Insight for a few years it handles like that so it doesn't bother me. I just learn how to adjust, my Corvette and Hot Rod drive similar on windy days.

Something that has been great on this car is it promotes people to drive like human beings and not maniacs. I get approached about 5 times a day and get asked, "What MPG do you get?". If they show a genuine interest in the car I show them the horrible window sticker that says 33/41MPG then show them my fuel logs and explain driving at the speed limit can help them achieve awesome results with their current vehicle then give them the tips on what they can do to their car to get better mileage.
BumblingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 07:34 AM   #39
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazabi Owner View Post
Something that has been great on this car is it promotes people to drive like human beings and not maniacs. I get approached about 5 times a day and get asked, "What MPG do you get?". If they show a genuine interest in the car I show them the horrible window sticker that says 33/41MPG then show them my fuel logs and explain driving at the speed limit can help them achieve awesome results with their current vehicle then give them the tips on what they can do to their car to get better mileage.
propegate the change!!! good stuff!

anyway i am suprised you are getting 42mpg combined. how much of that is highway? either way that is awesome for a young motor that is great!
Old 05-14-2008, 12:39 PM   #40
Registered Member

Good result!

Cruise should be available aftermarket in a few months, and wider wheels and tires give better handling (but might cost 1 MPG).

Mine has OEM cruise (the first generation car had this little-chosen option in Europe) and wider wheels and tires. I love it. Over 60 MPG, without really trying.

1966 Peugeot 404 Coupe Injection
Mike T is offline   Reply With Quote