Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > News and Articles > Car Reviews
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2006, 04:32 PM   #21
Registered Member

Re: Yeah, nissan does suck. I'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
Yeah, nissan does suck. I'd say subaru also, they make great stuff but AWD does not equal gas mileage,

I can't wait for the camry review.
Dude, don't dis the Subarus! I can consistently get 32 MPG in my AWD 2.5L Outback Automatic. Not bad for a tank.

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 04:38 PM   #22
Registered Member

the new nissans suck, except

the new nissans suck, except the new Vq35DE which was in a maxima. That engine is so good. Once you put i/h/e expect to see 40whp more from the stock 200whp. Add engine management and you get 260whp. Truly a blessing.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 04:38 PM   #23
*shrug*

I am not "dissing" the

I am not "dissing" the subaru, just saying that awd drivetrain losses seem not worth it unless you're going ice racing or something.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 04:47 PM   #24
Registered Member

Seriously 32mpg for a AWD

Seriously 32mpg for a AWD car like a subaru is crazy. I'd like to go 55mph and pump my tires up to 50psi but there is a huge safe factor. If I lived somewhere out in small town I would be pacing you guys.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 08:17 PM   #25
Registered Member

OK, Calm down...

It's a proven fact that AWD can account for an approximate 18% decrease in fuel economy compared to FWD only. Many Subies are turbocharged, which also makes it easy to lower economy by sucking down more fuel...BUT -- nearly the entire Subaru line does what it is designed for very well -- in low traction situations, it handles it, and if you drive it right, yes you can get good gas mileage. I'm impressed with their sponsorship with Rally America, and really, their durability allowed for a 3-podium finish (as usual).

Compaq888 -- the argument was that Nissans get lower fuel economy than its competitors, which is entirely true. They tend to design for power and excitement, instead of efficiency. Right now I'm renting an Infiniti FX 35, which has the VQ engine like the Maxima. I agree that it is one of the best engines ever conceived, but it's not efficient. Breaking 20 mpg is tough, but it will accelerate and handle like magic. The VQ has won countless awards for its design, and will probably be a benchmark for many years.

Anyways, I'm almost done with my Camry review. Sneak preview: there will be an unvailing of a "Special Award"...

RH77
Old 03-06-2006, 09:47 PM   #26
Registered Member

2006 Toyota Camry LE

2006 Toyota Camry
Trim Level: "LE"
EPA Vehicle Class: Midsize Car
Engine: DOHC 2.4L, Inline-4 rated at 154 Horsepower / 160 lb-ft torque
Transmission: 5-Speed Automatic with torque converter
EPA Mileage Estimates (City/Highway/Combined Cycle): 24/34/28
Test Loop: 90% City, 10% Highway
Max Cruise Speed = 70-75 mph
Weather Conditions over 3-days: Sunny and Clear: 40-80F
Driving Style: Average
Location Test: Rural Mississippi
Miles Driven = 330
Gallons Used = 10.076
Calculated MPG = 32.8

Conclusion: As advertised, this car lives up to its promises. So far, this is the best economy tested, can seat 5, with a sizable trunk. The 4-cylinder was even responsive. Behold, the Camry, an RH77 Editor's Choice Award Winner.

Editor's Notes: What can I say? Finally a fuel-efficient import. The Camry is the benchmark upon which many vehicles try to uphold. More people in the U.S. buy this car than any other car (for reference, the best selling vehicle in the U.S. and the world for that matter is the Ford F-150 Pickup). But the Camry has nearly a cult following. Folks buy them, drive them forever, and go then get a new one. The standard of reliability is first rate. Fit and finish, and mechanical durability has a long-standing track record. I'm really reaching here to find negative points, but there are some small items. First, the design (inside and out) is bland, blend-in, under-the radar, no-frills excitement. The only flashy thing on this car is the electro-luminescent guages, which is kinda cool. Room is plentiful and the car experiences body roll in cornering. It may just be this editor's perception, but Toyota may have tightened-up the suspension on the base Camry over the last 2-3 years. On a favorite twisty road, handling limits were explored, and surprisingly, after the body roll, the tires bit-down and the car tracked the intended line. Even throttle-lift yielded mild oversteer. Yes, in a Camry -- some oversteer. Steering input produced adequate feedback and the torquey base engine had power from idle to redline. The stereo was tinny-sounding and painful at times, and reaching the controls was just that, a reach. But steering wheel controls eliminated the need to adjust the radio from afar. Throttle tip-in was abrupt. Based on GPS speed readings, when the speedometer showed 70 mph, actual speed was really 64 mph. Could this affect mileage? Perhaps, but probably not significantly - and your warranty would run out sooner. But who needs a warranty in a Toyota? The seats were "Toyota" comfortable, meaning pretty flat and unsupportive. But, the transmission perfectly matched the engine: 5 gears are better than 4. Moreover, the safety features that I didn't even notice like ABS with brakeforce distribution, seatbelt pre-tensioners, and speed-proportional power steering -- Standard.

On an aside, you can get a 3.3L V6 in the SE and a manual transmission for the bold family driver, but let's not talk about the efficiency there.

The shining achievement of this modern marvel is it's efficiency. Somehow, despite its size, torque, and rev-happy 4-cylinder, it managed a stellar 32.8 mpg at 90% highway cruise of 70-75 mph and 10% city operation. The engine is the DOHC 2.4L Inline-4 found throughout the Toyota lineup, and provides both low-end grunt and, when required, high-RPM power. Need to pass on a 2-lane road? Floor it -- the tach climbs fast, and it will not leave you sweating in the opposite lane. Let it cruise, and the 5th gear (overdrive) kicks-in and drops the tach. Aside from some other makes, just a small request from the gas pedal and it downshifts -- no questions asked
-- then you're back into the 1500-2000 RPM range after you relax. Toyota has to be commended for their efforts in fuel efficiency, brand-wide. w00t, Toyota. W00T.

RH77
Old 03-06-2006, 10:43 PM   #27
Driving on E

Re: 2006 Toyota Camry LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77
w00t, Toyota. W00T.
This had me laughing.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 01:31 AM   #28
Registered Member

Re: I am not "dissing" the

Quote:
I am not "dissing" the subaru, just saying that awd drivetrain losses seem not worth it unless you're going ice racing or something.
Or if you have a steep driveway....:-) Before the Subaru, there were many days when I could not get up my driveway in the 90 Accord or the 90 Integra with snow tires. I had to shovel and then put out the ice melt and wait for the concrete to show up before attempting it again. Few times the Accord slid back down into the house, puting a nice dent in the fender.

Since the Integra wasn't an auto, it had to go cause the wife doesn't want to learn to drive a stick.

Also, before the Subaru, my wife managed to go off the road on a few occasions and needed a tow truck to pull her out. Now, even if only flurries are in the forcast, she takes the Subaru instead of the Prius. She has never had a handling problem in any wheather. It will only get 3k miles a year from now on. BUt it is noce to have around in the winter and to haul things.

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 06:39 AM   #29
*shrug*

I will say AWD is nice, and

I will say AWD is nice, and the wagony thing is a much better solution than an SUV. Sometimes I've longed for AWD, like when I almost bit it on an offramp in the camry because it has no traction...I guess I got lucky I could get it under control. And then there are the times when it's icy and I slide and spin and that's never fun (in the crx).

Anywho, the camry looks pretty good, I wonder how the manual versions stack up against the autos. One thing I noticed when shopping for corollas and civics was that dealers did not carry manual corollas, which was a big turn off for me,
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 12:38 PM   #30
Registered Member

Re: I will say AWD is nice, and

Quote:
Anywho, the camry looks pretty good, I wonder how the manual versions stack up against the autos. One thing I noticed when shopping for corollas and civics was that dealers did not carry manual corollas, which was a big turn off for me,
A check of the EPA detailed estimates actually show the 5-speed manual getting 33 hwy MPG vs. the automatic's 34 - so there's actually a loss. My only guess is that the gearing is shorter in the final gear.

For some reason, you almost have to special-order a manual mainstream Toyota: non-sport models of Camry or Corolla. If you ever build one online, it's a difficult process to locate your final product. Statistically, the Corolla gets significantly better mileage in the manual: 32/41/36. The auto is 30/38/33. But, as we all know, America is stuck on driving with an automatic, so they'll make more of them.

RH77

« - | Car Reviews Forum! »