mods for better mpg - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Motorcycles
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2009, 05:32 AM   #11
Registered Member

This may be off-topic, IMO, riding a motorcycle is mostly about being more fuel efficient. All the performance add-ons in the world doesn't make much of a difference if the rider does not have the skill to ride a moto to its capabilities in stock form.
Besides, most (street legal) motos have plenty of capability to perform beyong street legal status.. where can one safely operate a moto to its full capabilities? on the track? on salt lake beds? both of those locals are likely to be expensive to operate, even for short amount of time.

Valkyrie wants to be fuel efficient.. get a different moto with half the engine displacement, 1/3 or 1/6 number of cylinders.

Old 05-18-2009, 05:33 AM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehallbackhoe View Post
thanks again,going to the motorcycle forums and even mentioning mpg usually gets me the ''who cares about mpg, ride it like you stole it" OR "if you want better mpg, buy a moped" responses, so getting a straight answer is kind of refreshing
It's tough getting taken seriously when talking about fuel economy at a forum that's not specifically about fuel economy.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:02 AM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat0020 View Post
This may be off-topic, IMO, riding a motorcycle is mostly about being more fuel efficient. All the performance add-ons in the world doesn't make much of a difference if the rider does not have the skill to ride a moto to its capabilities in stock form.
Besides, most (street legal) motos have plenty of capability to perform beyong street legal status.. where can one safely operate a moto to its full capabilities? on the track? on salt lake beds? both of those locals are likely to be expensive to operate, even for short amount of time.

Valkyrie wants to be fuel efficient.. get a different moto with half the engine displacement, 1/3 or 1/6 number of cylinders.
riding a motorcycle has very little to do with being more fuel efficient. some motorcycles get less mpg than cars, I ride a honda valkyrie because I like the look, feel, and more importantly, how it makes me feel. I also enjoy getting better mpg out of the motorcycle that I choose to ride. it is like owning a muscle car, that as long as you don't use the power, you can get decent mpg, but you have the satisfaction of knowing that power is on tap if you want to use it. little bikes get blown around by trucks, are not comfortable for long distances, and certainly not comfortable with a passenger. I am getting sick and tired of peolple telling me that I should get rid of my valkyrie just because I want to make it more efficient. if everybody sold their cars, and bought mopeds, we would all be getting great mpg, but I doubt you will get many people to go along with that.
mikehallbackhoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 06:20 AM   #14
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
There's nothing wrong with trying to improve your fuel economy in whatever you want to drive/ride. If FE was your only big priority then it would make sense to revisit your vehicle choice, but for some people, other stuff is more important (which is why I drive what I drive instead of something like a Civic VX).
Old 05-18-2009, 06:23 AM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
I am getting sick and tired of peolple telling me that I should get rid of my valkyrie just because I want to make it more efficient.
Then perhalps you should realize that trying to get a Valkyrie to be fuel efficient is a moot point, like trying to make a race car fuel efficient. Try putting 60 psi. in the tires if that make it more fuel efficient.

Quote:
if everybody sold their cars, and bought mopeds, we would all be getting great mpg, but I doubt you will get many people to go along with that.
Just wait until gas prices goes (and stays) up to $4 a gallon (or above)..
Old 05-18-2009, 06:40 AM   #16
Registered Member

I have made my valkyrie more efficient. I average 45 mpg, but have gotten as high as 54 mpg. but if my mileage dropped to 33mpg, I would not get rid of my valkyrie, it is the best motorcycle I have ever owned. if I owned owned a race car, I would probably try to figure ouy a way to improve mpg.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:26 AM   #17
Registered Member

Improving fuel economy in race cars is a very important part of race strategy. The guy in 2nd place who has to pit for fuel 3 laps before the end of the race ends the race in 27th place.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:34 AM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
I have made my valkyrie more efficient. I average 45 mpg, but have gotten as high as 54 mpg. but if my mileage dropped to 33mpg, I would not get rid of my valkyrie, it is the best motorcycle I have ever owned. if I owned owned a race car, I would probably try to figure ouy a way to improve mpg.
54mpg (370 mile range) on a Valkyrie seems unrealistic, even at 45 mpg (310 mile range).
Valkyrie has displacement of 1520cc, 6 cylinder engine, 6.9 gal. tank, weighs over 720 lb., with 3000 rpm cruising at 60 mph in top gear.. that should yeild about 36-39 mpg being generous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Improving fuel economy in race cars is a very important part of race strategy.
Not so important when the whole drag race is less than a mile.
Old 05-19-2009, 04:14 PM   #19
Registered Member

I only accomplished 54 mpg once, while sedately cruising the back roads with two old couples ,riding a goldwing and a boss hoss trike. but I consistently get 45 mpg, 55 mph, 2500 rpm. riding in the mountains. oh, I also run a 205 60 16 general altimax car tire on the rear. by the way your specs are for an interstate, I run a tourer, which is lighter. I also noticed that my mileage is better than all your vehicles except your scooter, so my efforts of obtaining better mpg from my valk may not be a moot point after all
Old 05-20-2009, 04:33 AM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
I only accomplished 54 mpg once, while sedately cruising the back roads with two old couples ,riding a goldwing and a boss hoss trike. but I consistently get 45 mpg, 55 mph, 2500 rpm. riding in the mountains. oh, I also run a 205 60 16 general altimax car tire on the rear. by the way your specs are for an interstate, I run a tourer, which is lighter. I also noticed that my mileage is better than all your vehicles except your scooter, so my efforts of obtaining better mpg from my valk may not be a moot point after all
I call BS, fuel economy good or bad, at least I keep a record of the gaslogs, show some gaslog of your Valkyrie make it more believable.

A standard Valkyrie has a 5.3 gal tank, 682 lb. dry according to Honda, add fuel alone is over 700 lb., not to mention oil. 55mpg that means you travelled 291 miles per tank, 45 mpg means 238 miles per tank.

So how many miles do you get on a full tank?

How much does your Valkyrie weigh?

Does riding two up make any difference?

Car tire with wider and flat profile would have larger contact patch than a motorcycle tire, more rolling resistance, that shouldn't contribute to fuel economy increase.