Electric V's Hybrid - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Hybrid Vehicles
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2017, 06:06 AM   #31
Registered Member

I would say £10 extra a week isn't bad for an EV, you have to factor in the benefits too, such as larger wider parking spaces closer to the entrance of shops when you do a weekly shop (which I believe is still free in most stores to charge) full free charge when you get a service, being able to charge at home and start every day with a full tank so to speak, free fuel in lots of places, performance, smoothness, refinement, quietness, ease of driving, environmental/local air quality impact, lower maintenance etc. That £10 a week more might be worth it to some.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 08:00 AM   #32
Registered Member

I can have all that without forking out for battery leasing, if I buy an EV with an "owned" battery. That is what I intend doing.
And only 3% of UK supermarkets offer free EV charging to customers.
https://www.zap-map.com/zap-analysis-supermarkets/
And none are within EV range of me!
Are there any near you?

Old 11-23-2017, 08:10 AM   #33
Registered Member

No you make fair points, we both live fairly rural with poor charging infrastructure, this is why I havn't got an EV yet, that and the ones I can afford are not "Sporty" or sexy enough for me haha. I couldn't even charge at home as I have no parking, driveway, garage etc, but I would have a charger put in my place of work with the grant available. I think my nearest Tesla supercharger is almost 100 miles away too. Still £400,000,000 allocated in the Autumn budget towards charging infrastructure, this could change pretty quick.

Old 11-23-2017, 08:14 AM   #34
Registered Member

I think your plan of keeping the Jazz (Fit) as an occasional longer range car is a good one Jocko. My Jazz is quite new (well to me anyway - it's 4 years old) and I've got a bit of the capital I would need to buy a used EV tied up in my present car but it's something I'm mulling over. In fact, if I went down that route, I could even cope with a Nissan Leaf with, say, 10 bars on the battery.
I change my mind every day!

PS

Just to add, it would be a bit like having a PHEV but with 2 vehicles instead of one!
peteo48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 09:02 AM   #35
Registered Member

I too do not have suitable parking, though that will change shortly. Another of the budget items was free charging for EVs, at work, won't be classed as benefit-in-kind, so won't be taxed.
My Jazz is 11 years old and not worth the selling, so for £130/year VED, plus low cost, extremely low mileage insurance, make it worth hanging on to. It will give me something to tinker with!
Once I move to the new house, just south of Edinburgh, I will probably be down to about 10-15 miles a week, mainly for shopping, with free bus travel every time I need to go into the city. The odd 90 mile round trip, once every couple of months, will see the Jazz brought out.
Old 11-23-2017, 01:28 PM   #36
Registered Member

Admittedly I've been making the most of our free public transport here, until May next year, regardless of age, anyone can travel on the busses at weekends for free, even as far as Wrexham which is a 100 mile trip. It's a great taxi service late at night when me and my friends have had 18 pints!

Old 11-23-2017, 04:06 PM   #37
Registered Member

Good debate y'all, glad to see it.

Drove 170 miles today to visit the daughters for Thanksgiving. Driving home on a route I am not real familiar with, at night, the wife tells me I need to move over one lane to change routes. I'm in the center of 5 lanes. so I go to check the right mirror, with about 4 seconds to execute the lane change. She has her hand blocking the passenger rear view mirror. Instead of moving her hand as requested, she wants to argue that her hand is not blocking the rear view mirror. As my voice escalates in volume she gets mad about that volume but finally gets her friggin hand out of the way so I can check the lane before moving over.

The sad thing is I predicted this a few weeks back when I told her, what happens when an emergency is imminent and you do not follow my order in order to prevent a catastrophe. Now she wants to debate the voice volume, but finally admits she was not thinking about the passengers outside mirror but the inside rear view mirror.

"You finally got it, You were not thinking, when you should have just done what I told you".

"you could have got us both killed tonight".

End of stupid debate.

Nothing to do with this thread but just need to vent a little. Keep it going mates.
Old 11-23-2017, 09:16 PM   #38
Registered Member

That tends to be a US problem, not seen in the UK, regarding use of lanes. In the UK, on multi-lane roads, we drive on the nearside lane, moving out a lane only to pass slower traffic. On a busy road you have slow traffic (trucks) in lane 1, cars and such in lane 2 and overtaking traffic in lane 3. Most drivers (though not all) stick to those rules.
Drivers coming up on your inside are most unusual, except in slow moving traffic, such as approaching junctions.
When I drove in the States I was flabbergasted at the lack of lane discipline. I was told, "Just drive in whatever lane you feel comfortable in".
YouTube videos are full of drivers being overtaken, at speed, on both sides, simultaneously. And the resulting accidents.
In the UK, if you have to "Undertake" as we call it, you do so very carefully, fully expecting someone to switch lanes without seeing you.
Regarding nearside mirror, my wife loves to gather her stuff and get ready to leave the car, just when I need my nearside mirror most. When trying to park between other vehicles!
And so back to thread!
Old 11-23-2017, 11:14 PM   #39
Registered Member

Another reason why fully/semi autonomous cars are safer, with 2-3 rear facing cameras all on the outside of the vehicle, blinds spots are a thing of the past.

Old 11-23-2017, 11:39 PM   #40
Registered Member

Love the set up on the new Tesla truck.
It will need a law change in the UK to replace mirrors with cameras.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MPw5xY9.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	2452