Fuelly Problem With Chevy Volt. - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Hybrid Vehicles
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2017, 09:30 AM   #11
Registered Member

The issue is that Fuelly can't track two different fuels at the same time. Without knowing the amount of electricity used by a plug in over a tank, the resulting MPG figure is useless for anything beyond bragging rights. Even for tanks that get pasted the current filters.

trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 01:41 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trollbait View Post
The issue is that Fuelly can't track two different fuels at the same time. Without knowing the amount of electricity used by a plug in over a tank, the resulting MPG figure is useless for anything beyond bragging rights. Even for tanks that get pasted the current filters.
Fuelly isn't being asked to track two fuels at once...just gasoline. And in view of the email that they sent to SSonnentag, there is, in fact, a limitation to the Fuellly software's ability to track ultra-high-mileage vehicles...just as I suspected. Now, maybe while they're in there solving this issue they can also add a function for eliminating unwanted vehicles.

golfzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 08:58 AM   #13
Site Team

The issue with the Volt and other plugin hybrids is that we have an MPG filter in place to reject readings that are "too high". A vast majority of our users do not have vehicles that can achieve triple digit MPG readings. The filter was put in place to prevent obviously inaccurate MPG reading from distorting the Fuelly results for a vehicle type.

We are looking at the best way to change this.
EMY92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:35 PM   #14
Registered Member

Your efforts in this regard are appreciated. These cars deserve their just due. I replaced a diesel powered vehicle that was averaging 24 mpg with my '17 Volt. Even figuring in the increase in my electric bill, the Volt is saving me $120 every month in "fuel" costs. And, it's far more pleasant to be in than the other vehicle was. A definite "win/win".
golfzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 06:06 AM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfzilla View Post
Fuelly isn't being asked to track two fuels at once...just gasoline. And in view of the email that they sent to SSonnentag, there is, in fact, a limitation to the Fuellly software's ability to track ultra-high-mileage vehicles...just as I suspected. Now, maybe while they're in there solving this issue they can also add a function for eliminating unwanted vehicles.
Fuelly has two purposes. The first is tracking fuel consumption for the users. The second is to aggregate that data into a form that car shoppers can use to research real world fuel economy for their next ride.

The outlier filters are in place to keep input errors, and fraudulent entries, from skewing the numbers for the research purposes. They even filter out the extreme fuel efficiency figures in research to give a fairer view of economy expectations.

PHEV numbers for ICE fuel alone are useless for those doing research if there is no mention of the electricity used. The simplest solution for Fuelly is to require PHEV users to input a percent EV use number, and display that in the car's banner with the ICE fuel economy.

This way the actual kilowatt-hours used doesn't need to be tracked, but people doing research can get an idea of the grid electricity's impact on the ICE fuel economy. Those PHEV owners that don't input an EV percent should have that data excluded from the public database. At the very least, a note in the banner that the EV percent is unknown or incomplete.
Old 06-24-2017, 05:45 PM   #16
Registered Member

Thanks for the Volt intel. VoltStats is cool but I like Fuelly too. I bought a used 2016 Volt in December and the tracking has been good - except for one fill up. It's number 34 on June 1 on the screenshot below:

The gas mileage should be 453.29 for that one. Is that too high for Fuelly to accept or did I miss a setting somewhere?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Bill
Rochejaune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 03:41 AM   #17
Registered Member

I remember a problem on another forum where a Mercedes diesel owner who used a lot of biodiesel only reported the diesel he bought (not biodiesel) but not the biodiesel he got for free and processed himself. He was reporting mileage over 1000 MPG. Not really accurate unless you report the total of liquid fuel consumed.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:05 AM   #18
Registered Member

That's how the E85 flex fuel loop hole for CAFE works though.