New member. New car. - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 11-05-2022, 05:16 PM   #1
Registered Member

New member. New car.

Hey all,

New here and I’m looking forward to using the tool.

I’ve been searching the forums and can’t seem to get a good answer to what seems an obvious question. How do I record the first fill-up that came with the car? I picked up my brand new wheels with a full tank last Saturday. Today, I filled her up for the first time. But… when I log it and add my odometer reading (345 mi) it shows “last odomoeter reading: 345” instead of 0, so it shows my mpg as 0.0 instead of 30.3. I tried to log an initial fillup (which the dealer paid for) but I don’t know the details of it, obviously. Should I just fudge it? Put 1 mile ODO and 14.0 gallons (full capacity) at some average price even though I didn’t pay for it?

Seems like the app needs a way to distinguish the first/baseline fill from all the subsequent fills to give accurate numbers.

Or am I missing something obvious?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. Side question: how long does it take for a make/model to be added to the database. My 2023 Kia Forte GT is not listed so I had to enter manually. I put in the vehicle request but not sure what will happen with it.

rhymeswithjello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 02:53 AM   #2
Registered Member

Welcome. Just disregard the petrol that was in the tank when you picked up the car. They said it was a full tank, the fuel gauge was reading full, but was it actually topped off?
Start from your first fill-up. After all, over the life of the car, it is going to make no difference to the actual mpg figure you get. Hope you have many happy and safe miles of motoring with your new car. Makes me jealous!

Old 11-06-2022, 03:41 AM   #3
Registered Member

Welcome to Fuelly. You could use the trip odometer method of tracking instead. Just input the miles just driven and the fuel you just added. This will give accurate figures and if you miss one or two fuel ups down the line, your figures won't be affected. Just remember to reset the trip odometer after paying for fuel

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 07:11 AM   #4
Registered Member

I never use the trip odometer on my car because it is too easy to accidentally reset it. Disconnecting the battery does it, careless switching between Miles, trip or mpg does it as can an electrical glitch. I prefer to use the odometer which never resets.
Old 11-06-2022, 09:51 AM   #5
Registered Member

Thanks all.

I wound up logging a fill up in there at mile 1, using the average cost of gas on the day/location I bought the car and the full tank volume. (I can rationalize that I paid for it as part of the price of the car). And I can be pretty sure that it was full to the top because it always defaults to about 420 on the distance to empty display when I fill up and that’s what it was showing when I drove the car off the lot. This way I know my MPG for the first tank was about 30.3 which seems like what I would have expected. I know it would all come out in the wash eventually but if I can have a complete record, I prefer it. I don’t plan on missing any fillup logs since no one else drives my car.

That said, it seems like Fuelly should have some way of accounting for the first fillup by letting you modify the previous odometer reading.
Old 11-06-2022, 01:13 PM   #6
Registered Member

Glad you sorted it. I noticed you have the car down as a manual? Is this correct as manuals are quite rare in the US apparently. If not you can edit the vehicle anytime and you won't loose any data.

Old 11-08-2022, 04:36 AM   #7
Registered Member

It is most certainly a real manual transmission ...as has been every car I've owned since 1995.

It's one of the reasons I bought the car and model I did because it's one of the few 2023 models being offered in the U.S. market with three pedals, and possibly the only one that can still be purchased for under $30,000, with some legitimate performance (1.6T 201 hp) and higher-end interior/exterior features. Plus, I just think it looks really snazzy!
Old 11-08-2022, 01:50 PM   #8
Registered Member

That's cool to know. Apparently if you drive manual in the US, you're considered an "enthusiast". It's just normal here. It's a topic and/or debate that arises quite often on the forum and splits opinion every time...