ZX2 Front Fender Skirts Completed and Results. 3/15/07 - Page 5 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuelly Community Support > Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2006, 06:16 AM   #41
Registered Member

I see some rubber against rubber wear marks on the sidewalls of your tire. Have you considered spraying some dry lubricant (silicon, graphite,etc.) on the wear zones of the inner tube material of your skirts to reduce the friction when the tires are making contact with the skirt. Also how well are the skirts working when driving on snowy roads with the typical snow buildup in the wheel wells?

Old 11-25-2006, 06:59 AM   #42
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basjoos
I see some rubber against rubber wear marks on the sidewalls of your tire. Have you considered spraying some dry lubricant (silicon, graphite,etc.) on the wear zones of the inner tube material of your skirts to reduce the friction when the tires are making contact with the skirt. Also how well are the skirts working when driving on snowy roads with the typical snow buildup in the wheel wells?
Can't tell you yet about snow conditions on front skirt as it(only have 1 so far) has only been on the car 2 days. No snow. But I have had the rear skirts of the same material on the car for a quite a while. They have endured mud and snow numerous times with no ill effects.

Thanks for the suggestion of a lubricant. I used Armorall when I put it on but did not have anything else at hand. I had been thinking of finding some teflon. I am not very sure that the rubbing will present much of a problem. There is no contact with the tire except when turning and any turn at any speed should be of relatively short duration.

I am still in the trial and error stage with this. But I have driven over 300 miles in 2 days. Good sign for me of reasonable durability .

I am hoping that the sealed up aero approach will be worth something not readily available with other systems.

I do plan on better looks for it when I am satisfied with what I have.

O man!! just thought of something. My wife may have teflon or similar non-stick spray. Better go look for it.

CO ZX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 11:52 AM   #43
Registered Member

Even better than the Teflon lubricant would be sewing a 1/16" thick sheet of PTFE (Teflon) over the area of tire contact on the skirt. At that thickness, PTFE is flexible (but not not stretchy), is very low friction, and is reasonably priced.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:22 AM   #44
Registered Member

Day 3. Front Skirts. New info and pic of front skirt progress 12/05/06. Page 1 of this thread.
CO ZX2
Old 12-29-2006, 09:33 AM   #45
Registered Member

DAY 4. Front Skirts. New info, pic and drag chart posted on page 1, this thread. CO ZX2
Old 12-30-2006, 10:51 AM   #46
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to The Toecutter
I think that chart is for a specific model of Volvo, but it gives a good indication of where sources of drag are coming from for most cars. There will be variances from car to car, of course.
The Toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 03:46 AM   #47
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toecutter
I think that chart is for a specific model of Volvo, but it gives a good indication of where sources of drag are coming from for most cars. There will be variances from car to car, of course.
I can't remember exactly where I got this chart. I think I tried to save the web page, wouldn't save, so I just saved the chart. Newer modern cars are quite similar so this should be a reasonable guide.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:26 PM   #48
Registered Member

Day 5,new info, Front Fender Skirts

Both front skirts finished and results. 3/15/07, new pic and info, see page 1 of this thread.
CO ZX2
Old 03-15-2007, 06:55 PM   #49
Driving on E

I like the front wheel skirt... can you give us more details on it's construction?
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 03:57 AM   #50
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion View Post
I like the front wheel skirt... can you give us more details on it's construction?
Matt. I have spent considerable time on this project because I believed in it. It has proved to me to be a worthwhile investment of that time. I will be happy to provide more details.

However, I would like to modify the name of the thread (Colorado ZX2) to:
ZX2 Front Fender Skirts Completed and Results. 3/15/07

This new name would give a more accurate description of the content. I probably shouldn't have integrated this project into my Introduction in the first place, not exactly the best place for a tech project.

This thread has been around so long, I wonder if there are those who think they have seen it too many times already. Therefore, they don't bother to look at additions or updates.

Can you assist me with this change? I am not a computer whiz and all I have been able to change is the title within the thread. Thanks CO ZX2