Civic VX engine D15Z1 with an automatic transmission swap? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2008, 11:01 PM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to suspendedhatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCAT View Post
With that JDM ECU and engine swap, can I just get it Ref'd by the CA Bereau of Automotive Repair to pass smog?
JDM ECU's are slightly different than USDM. But besides that they are technically illegal because they have a different tune on them. Besides the visual test they most likely would also fail on NOx. You'd have more luck just passing your car off as normal at a regular smog shop. Most smog techs would never notice. A ref would notice immediately.

Civic VX, D15Z7, 5 Speed LSD, AEM EMS, AEM UEGO, AEM Twin Fire, Distributor-less, Waste Spark
suspendedhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 10:23 PM   #12
beb
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspendedhatch View Post
Besides the auto ECU you'll also need the auto tranny controller that resides under the driver's side dash.
What Civic's had this? I was looking up a circuit last night in an EG Electrical Troubleshooting manual, and out of curiosity tried to find such an auto tranny controller, but could find no sign of it - not even a tap on the power or ground circuits for one. A spot check of a few automatic EK parts lists (HX and EX) didn't show one either, while as Loserkidwac points out, there are auto tranny control signals coming from the ECU for both EGs and EKs.

beb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 09:09 PM   #13
beb
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78si View Post
Its a simple swap if he can find a JDM p07 and auto tranny. It would be plug and play, ...
Supporting suspendedhatch's statement about a different tune on JDM ECUs is this bit from an article by David Blundell, "Introduction to ECU Chipping":

"Honda is no exception to these rules about tuning. Basis for this can be seen very clearly by comparing European/US fuel and timing maps to Japanese timing maps for the same engine. Japanese have gasoline that is on average a minimum of about 10 octane points greater than gas sold in the US. Comparing JDM and USDM/EDM timing curves generally show the JDM maps having several degrees more spark advance, reflecting the manufacturer's expectation of better quality gasoline."

It doesn't sound like typical P07 is chippable, either, according to the tunning community (FWIW, the JDM D15B VTEC-E used in their ETi - which is the closest thing to the D15Z1 (never sold in Japan) - looks to have used a P84, so the limitations on modifyibility of a P07 may not matter).
beb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 11:22 PM   #14
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to suspendedhatch
There is a TCM under the driver's side dash. If I remember correctly it's a little blue box with a grey plug, held down by two 10mm nuts.

As far as I can understand it, P07's are not currently chip-able because the onboard wideband O2 controller required a different board and different code.

Civic VX, D15Z7, 5 Speed LSD, AEM EMS, AEM UEGO, AEM Twin Fire, Distributor-less, Waste Spark
suspendedhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 08:19 AM   #15
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Loserkidwac
Quote:
Originally Posted by suspendedhatch View Post
There is a TCM under the driver's side dash. If I remember correctly it's a little blue box with a grey plug, held down by two 10mm nuts.

As far as I can understand it, P07's are not currently chip-able because the onboard wideband O2 controller required a different board and different code.
To my knowledge you are referring to the the ignition interlock box that prevents you from pulling the key out in gear...its attached to the plate that covers where the clutch master cylinder would be...

03 Mazdaspeed Protege
91 Honda CRX Si
95 Honda Civic VX *RIP 5/20/08
94 Honda Del Slow D15z1 Swapped
Loserkidwac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:51 AM   #16
Registered Member

92 civic dx automatic

I just found this thread. I noticed that its been inactive for a few months now, but I found the information very useful.

I have a 92 dx automatic. I have installed a b15b vtec-e jdm engine , P84 ecu and kept stock dx transmission.
When I plug-in the P84 ecu, I can't get the car out of Park. If I plug the stock dx ecu, the car shifts from park. This leads me to believe that there is a transmission control box missing that "suspendedhatch" was talking about. Also, I asume that the JDM auto tranny has electronics and sensors in it that wire up to the P84 ecu to tell the car the gear position.

I heard that the JDM auto tranny is a 4 speed.
There is also some reference of a 7 postition configuration inside the transmission to optimize gearing.

Does anyone know anything about this?
Remember, the JDM transmission I am talking about is for 92-95 EG.
As an alternative, do you think its posible to use an EK 96-00 auto tranny with my set-up?

It would be nice to have the P84 ecu schematic or pinout to confirm this information.
JomammasConcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:28 AM   #17

back from the dead....has anyone ever done this build and had it working?

metalslug is offline   Reply With Quote