Deciding on Ford Maverick engine? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2023, 02:29 AM   #1
Registered Member

Deciding on Ford Maverick engine?

During my search for a Ford Maverick, I found myself bewildered by the array of engine options, particularly with the various alphanumeric labels attached to them. While I am aware that the AWD version utilizes an ICE turbocharged engine, I remain uncertain about which specific option would be most suitable for my needs. I appreciate any insights or guidance you can provide on this matter.

KushnomGhatak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 05:58 PM   #2
Site Team / Moderator

It all depends. What are your needs? What's your typical drive like? These are different, and without knowing this, nobody can make a good recommendation.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 06:59 AM   #3
Registered Member

Are you referring to the engine selection for listed cars on Fuelly? It can be a mess.

The engine codes here are general shorthand for the engine arrangement; not for a specific make. They make sense once you know them, but it isn't common knowledge to the public. Which is probably where the mess starts, as people don't know what they are selecting.

The letter refers to the cylinder arrangement.
H - horizontal, boxer
L - inline
V should self explanatory at this point
R - rotary
The number is just the number of cylinders or rotors. Not intuitive when most are thinking in displacement.

I originally though H was for hybrid, but that is denoted by hybrid, gas/electric, or electric after. Which is way more that needed.

I don't think the software limits the engine choice based on the make and model selection. Users might even be able to add their own code to the list. Then there are cases like the Maverick which had multiple different models through the years and across the globe.

For the new truck, there are just two engine options. Both would be L4 under the Fuelly code. One will have some type of hybrid label included.

As for which to get, depends on whether you actually need AWD or to tow. The turbo is rated around 500 pounds more than the hybrid for towing. For most people, I'd suggest the hybrid for the efficiency.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 04:58 AM   #4
LDB
Registered Member

I don't know how the engine options are created here but for any random vehicle that has 2 or maybe 3 actual engine options from the manufacturer there will be a dozen or more options available here, some of which are not, never have been, and never will have anything to do with the given vehicle. I wish they'd clean things up. It would make research and comparisons much easier and more accurate.

LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 09:15 AM   #5
Registered Member

I don't think the OP was concerned with the options on Fuelly but with Ford's options for the Maverick. he doesn't know what Maverick configuration to go for.
Old 11-09-2023, 09:06 AM   #6
Registered Member

Maybe, but...

"array of engine options, particularly with the various alphanumeric labels"

Leaves room for interpreting what they meant. There are three drive train options for the new Maverick. Can't tell what alphanumeric labels they are talking about. The consumer side of marketing wouldn't use such for the engine. Dealer sources might, and they could be using codes that don't line up with trim and equipment options.
Old 11-10-2023, 04:42 AM   #7
Registered Member

"DURING MY SEARCH FOR A NEW FORD MAVERICK, I found myself bewildered by the array of engine options, particularly with the various alphanumeric labels attached to them."
It was the bit I have changed to uppercase I was referring to.
Old 11-10-2023, 04:54 AM   #8
Registered Member

And that search can include researching the truck here. That is the point of allowing users to track their fuel use for free.
Old 11-10-2023, 05:54 AM   #9
Registered Member

Except, when you use Research Vehicles it doesn't use the Fuelly designations. Mind you, I think the OP was one of the dodgy posts we are getting all the time now. Guys with Indian names from everywhere bar India.
Old 11-10-2023, 05:03 PM   #10
Registered Member

When you go into the the drop down filters for engine, type, etc. you'll see the Fuelly designations for the engines.

Since that is a mess, a model with two engine options can have a half dozen choices there. That does not help with the research aspect of the site.