eco fuel saver prototype - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2015, 12:32 PM   #1
Registered Member

eco fuel saver prototype

I am a 75 year old retiree who has been working for some time on a new idea for helping drive more efficiently and save fuel.
I have just posted a short video demonstration of my latest prototype on on youtube and would be grateful to have opinions and suggestions for further improvement.
You can view it by entering into the youtube search bar, eco spot saver head up

Thanks

surfdriver14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 12:51 PM   #2
Registered Member

I watched the video. The hud idea is good, saves you having to look down at the dash I guess. But the concept itself is old, most cars have thier own version of this built in now, but it's still a good idea if it could be retro fitted to older vehicles without such feedback.

On the eco version of my car, there is a small horizontal strip below the speedo. As you accelerate, the strip lights up either green, orange or red depending how you're driving.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 09:24 PM   #3
Registered Member

Draigflag, Many thanks for your thoughtful reply. Actually, the gadget is ideal for retro fitting to older cars vehicles, especially as it is a simple inexpensive and non powered It sits about mid way on the dashboard. The HUD can be seen in the screen but it is not very bright and there is some double image. This is much improved by fitting a semi transparent reflective film such as the Garmin one I have used. The fact that it is a mechanical device means the movement is analogue which I believe is more driver friendly than most digital read outs. Also, The damping of the movement of the indicator is chosen for appropriate response, so as to be not too lively with over run.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:40 PM   #4
Registered Member

Interesting. So how does it work then? Assuming it's not plugged into the car, and doesn't use any info from the ecu, is it just the gentle motions of accelerating and braking that cause it to move?

Old 08-31-2015, 09:49 PM   #5
Registered Member

It is based on a regular ball in tube inclinometer, aligned to the direction of travel. Incidentally, Also, I forgot to draw attention that, unlike most other savers, braking is also shown, a vital part of control for fuel saving. The zero point at the centre of the green is a sort of sweet spot where there is a balance between forward acceleration and braking.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:31 AM   #6
Registered Member

Interesting, Surfdriver.

Turn it into a app by using a smartphone's accelerometer. Use subtle sound alerts to note either good or bad driving skills.
ChewChewTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:44 AM   #7
Registered Member

Sounds a good idea but sadly I don't have the knowhow to do that. That's why I went for a mechanical solution I could make myself. I am convinced the cnocept and presentation I have developed is good and if you or anyone out there can reproduce this on an app I will give all the help I can. I like the idea of the sound alerts. Many thanks.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:52 AM   #8
Registered Member

I mix with the startup community in the Silicon Valley. Startup ideas are, as the old saying goes, "a dime a dozen". Success is in the execution. The startup failure rate is 98%.

Thanks, but no thanks. It's ALL yours. Not enough upside for me. But could be a nice learning project for an ambitious, local high schooler in your area. You might give that a try, Surfdriver.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:59 AM   #9
Registered Member

Yea it's a nice idea, and top points for effort, but sadly, if it's not digitalized on a smart phone now, people generally aren't interested anymore sadly, it's just a sign of the times. I mean you can start your car, do the windows up and down, turn your lights on etc using your phone these days. I can barely keep up with it myself!

Old 09-01-2015, 12:29 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draigflag View Post
Yea it's a nice idea, and top points for effort, but sadly, if it's not digitalized on a smart phone now, people generally aren't interested anymore sadly, it's just a sign of the times. I mean you can start your car, do the windows up and down, turn your lights on etc using your phone these days. I can barely keep up with it myself!
As warm and fuzzy as "saving the planet by using less oil" or "save some money" may sound, by observing how most of the public drives you can tell they aren't interested.

It takes the same amount of effort to campaign a great startup idea, one with lots of blue sky and few friction points, as it does to campaign a poor startup idea. Take your pick!