Going for a new range record! - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2010, 05:14 AM   #21
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Hey Fetch are you sure that your wife isn't sneeking in some gas while you are not looking?

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:28 AM   #22
Registered Member

LOL... How fun would that be... Find a friend trying to hypermile a truck and slowly sneak in a few extra gallons for a few tanks getting him something like 40mpg and then stop and laugh as he wonders what the hell is wrong with his truck when it drops back down to low 20's...

Old 06-04-2010, 08:13 AM   #23
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanGeo View Post
Hey Fetch are you sure that your wife isn't sneeking in some gas while you are not looking?
It has been established that my wife will not get gas until she absolutely has to. Once or twice, she took my car to work and left me hers, which was all but out of gas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben98gs View Post
LOL... How fun would that be... Find a friend trying to hypermile a truck and slowly sneak in a few extra gallons for a few tanks getting him something like 40mpg and then stop and laugh as he wonders what the hell is wrong with his truck when it drops back down to low 20's...
That's hilarious. If gas was not so darned expensive, I'd do that to my neighbor with a Yukon Denali.
IndyFetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 01:26 PM   #24
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Yeah my friend is out of the country and her daughter used the Prius and left it down to the last bar on the gas gauge . . . then her son who has a key to it that we thought was lost drives it without Mom's permission and runs it down to a single bar blinking. Here I am trying to change the 7667 miles on the engine oil and there isn't enough gas to warm the engine up in it. Plus it costs $1000+ to replace the Smart Key if the only one left was lost. The kid needs a serious attitude adjustment especially after backing it into something hard and denting the rear bumper and splitting the rear fender at the seam just after Mom bought the car after leasing it. NOT putting any of my money into that gas tank at this point just to have the kids burn it up when they come home on weekends.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 09:17 AM   #25
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fetch View Post
I topped my tank off until it had approximately 11.5 gallons in it. I ran 400 miles on 6.5 gallons, not 5.0.

How well is your car maintained? Mine has LRR tires (others here have noted that LRR tires make a huge difference), new plugs as of last year, cap, rotor, wires, and NAPA 5-wire O2 sensor from 2008, new exhaust (2008), tires (2008), K & N drop-in filter (installed in 2008; cleaned every 6K - 9K miles), springs and shocks (2010), aligned at zero degrees toe front and rear (2010), etc. etc. etc. I ran Seafoam through the fuel tank, crankcase, and intake once in 2009 and once so far this year.

I run Pennzoil conventional 5W-30, changing every 3,000 - 4,000 miles. I had just changed it before I filled up. My VX does not burn a drop.
Did you change your gas tank because I believe vx have a 10 gallon tank. I top my tank off every time and the most I ever put in there is 9.1 gallons ( I drive it till it's very empty ). Well anyway I don't have LLR tires on my car, I think it would help if I do have LLR tires.
GasSavers_viperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 11:44 AM   #26
Registered Member

I just put 13.8 gallons into my "11.9" tank. 1.5 over the rated capacity is easy if you top it off and run it low.
palemelanesian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 03:16 PM   #27
Registered Member

I typically fit a gallon over the tank limit. I could get 13.5 into my 11.9-gallon tank on my '99 Civic Si, and I have put over 14.5 into my 13.2-gallon '05 Civic Si.

I just filled it up again this weekend prior to leaving on acamping trip. I filled it up at about 1/3 tank, and it averaged 55 mpg for the tank after the 77-mpg average. This was with my wife driving and trips of 25 miles to work and back.
IndyFetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:21 PM   #28
Registered Member

To Viperguy's remarks;
Any chance you've been smelling gas around the car recently?
I live less than a block from a 24 hour filling station. I've been ignoring the very very slight fuel odor intermittently around my car. I was doing some other maintenance two days ago and noticed dark spots around the tank straps in the undercoating on the tank.
I dropped the tank to find rust holes I could put a flat bladed screwdriver through (with some force, they were pin-holes before I scraped at it) at the base of the half-moon shape of the rear of the tank. At first it looked like the rear seam, but it was actually the area above that tucked under the car. I also replaced the filler neck clamps with new ones. I'll give an updated FE report soon. I usually get 52-53mpg on fuel ups. I drive 60mph on the highway, 45psi tires, full grille block, etc. I'm hoping this brings up my numbers! I once got 65mpg on a one-way trip of about 100 miles. I fueled up before I left, and filled up immediately upon getting home. This tells me time is a factor. (the more time I leave a full tank in the car, the worse my FE number would be)
Check your tank, lines, etc. Try to move your injectors while the car is running and see fuel spray out. Replace those seals too!
Worth a shot, eh?
B
benfrogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:24 PM   #29
Registered Member

For those who aren't aware, the Civic VX (Federal) is CAFE rated at 72mpg on the highway. CAFE ratings are impossible to achieve in most cases at speeds exceeding 55mph. The Volvo S60 I drive, I can achieve or slightly exceed its CAFE Highway MPG rating of 38MPG if I drive 53-55mph. On my Honda Civic and on the FJ cruiser, it's the same story. Keep in mind that in all instances of my achieving these numbers, I had the cruise control engaged. So in short, if you want to get those high CAFE MPG numbers, you need to drive 55mph and drive like a true hypermiler. Keep in mind that I didn't utilize any engine off coasting. I used high tire pressure and light-moderate acceleration with lots of coasting
imzjustplayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 06:23 AM   #30
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by ************* View Post
So in short, if you want to get those high CAFE MPG numbers, you need to drive 55mph and drive like a true hypermiler.
You also need to drive where there's perfect weather and no other traffic...