Going for a new range record! - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2010, 02:47 PM   #11
Registered Member

Cool

The results are in:

I chickened out before driving to my cousin's house and filled up. It took 8.2 gallons and clicked off. I put 8.7 gallons in it really slowly, and it kept overflowing.

Final tally:
680.4 miles
8.824 gallons
77.1 mpg

Even if I would have stuffed 9.3 gallons into it, which I thought I would be able to to, my mileage still would have been 73 mpg. At that rate, and knowing that I had at least 1 gallon left in the tank, I could have driven 750 miles on the tank.

IndyFetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 05:03 PM   #12
Registered Member

don't be too overzealous. it may not be the best thing for your pump to run near empty.

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 05:21 PM   #13
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Great work!

You ought to put this data into your gaslog here.
Old 05-30-2010, 05:19 AM   #14
Registered Member

The problem behind me doing gaslogs is that my wife and I are always switching cars, and she is not as diligent as I when it comes to filling the tank all the way up or recording the mileage. The numbers would be terribly inconsistent. Also, I take the car(s) to the track from time to time (as I will be doing again on Tuesday).
Old 06-02-2010, 10:20 PM   #15
Registered Member

I think you're just B****ing because I have a VX and I think it's impossible to get 70 plus MPG from it. Unless you're driving down hill only or you're pushing it half of the time than I find it impossible to get that kind of MPG. 400 miles per tank is a good tank for me. If you rack up 400 miles and you're only at hal than I find that impossible. That's just too unbelievable to me but if it's true more prop to you.
GasSavers_viperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 04:44 AM   #16
Registered Member

Sorry, just wanted to use that picture... lol

I get 400 miles per tank pretty easily in my DX sedan, and that is probably about 90% city driving too. So if you cannot get 400 miles per tank in the VX, you might want to look into some maintenance or adjust driving style a bit.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:41 AM   #17
Registered Member

BS Content = 0%.

My previous best tank average was 66 mpg. When I'm at the wheel, I regularly exceed 55-60 mpg. (500+ per tank). I drive between 55-6- mph on the interstate, but will go up to 65 mph when I have a good drafting buddy. I coast down hills in gear, or shut the car off on longer ones. I downshift and coast or shut the car off when approaching stoplights. I'll bet that I hit the brakes maybe two dozen times during the first 400 miles of the tank.

As mentioned, I have removed the A/C belt, and I have tires with relatively low rolling resistance (80,000 mile warranty) inflated to 45 psi. The car has been lowered, reducing its frontal area. Except for 60 miles of driving on that tank, I was the only one in the car (no excess weight).

Also, as I mentioned, I expected to put 9.3 gallons in it or so when I filled up. The pump kicked off at 8.3 gallons (I thought the pump was overly sensitive), and I continued to fill it slowly until it overflowed at 8.7 gallons. Perhaps it was warmer when I filled up at the end of the tank than it was at the beginning.

That being said, I also mentioned in one of my posts that if I had put 9.3 gallons in the car as I had expected, I still would have achieved 73 mpg. Heck, if it took me 10 gallons, the entire capacity of the tank, I still would have averaged 68 mpg.

My wife is back to driving the car now, or else I would have had follow-up tank numbers for you. As it is, I already borrowed the car on Tuesday and took it O'Reilly Raceway Park and drag-raced it again. I did not get any pictures or video the last time I went. I hope to post the videos soon.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:41 AM   #18
Registered Member

I believe it 100%.
palemelanesian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:16 AM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fetch View Post
BS Content = 0%.

My previous best tank average was 66 mpg. When I'm at the wheel, I regularly exceed 55-60 mpg. (500+ per tank). I drive between 55-6- mph on the interstate, but will go up to 65 mph when I have a good drafting buddy. I coast down hills in gear, or shut the car off on longer ones. I downshift and coast or shut the car off when approaching stoplights. I'll bet that I hit the brakes maybe two dozen times during the first 400 miles of the tank.

As mentioned, I have removed the A/C belt, and I have tires with relatively low rolling resistance (80,000 mile warranty) inflated to 45 psi. The car has been lowered, reducing its frontal area. Except for 60 miles of driving on that tank, I was the only one in the car (no excess weight).

Also, as I mentioned, I expected to put 9.3 gallons in it or so when I filled up. The pump kicked off at 8.3 gallons (I thought the pump was overly sensitive), and I continued to fill it slowly until it overflowed at 8.7 gallons. Perhaps it was warmer when I filled up at the end of the tank than it was at the beginning.

That being said, I also mentioned in one of my posts that if I had put 9.3 gallons in the car as I had expected, I still would have achieved 73 mpg. Heck, if it took me 10 gallons, the entire capacity of the tank, I still would have averaged 68 mpg.

My wife is back to driving the car now, or else I would have had follow-up tank numbers for you. As it is, I already borrowed the car on Tuesday and took it O'Reilly Raceway Park and drag-raced it again. I did not get any pictures or video the last time I went. I hope to post the videos soon.
Well I drive 60-70 on the hwy (80%) (20% city). My tires are at 41psi (175/70/13). The best I have gotten is 53mpg, I average 46-47mpg. At half tank I get about 240miles LOL. If you're really pulling that kind of number than much prop to you. From my experience it's just impossible for me to get 400miles on a half tank LOL.
GasSavers_viperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 03:48 AM   #20
Registered Member

I topped my tank off until it had approximately 11.5 gallons in it. I ran 400 miles on 6.5 gallons, not 5.0.

How well is your car maintained? Mine has LRR tires (others here have noted that LRR tires make a huge difference), new plugs as of last year, cap, rotor, wires, and NAPA 5-wire O2 sensor from 2008, new exhaust (2008), tires (2008), K & N drop-in filter (installed in 2008; cleaned every 6K - 9K miles), springs and shocks (2010), aligned at zero degrees toe front and rear (2010), etc. etc. etc. I ran Seafoam through the fuel tank, crankcase, and intake once in 2009 and once so far this year.

I run Pennzoil conventional 5W-30, changing every 3,000 - 4,000 miles. I had just changed it before I filled up. My VX does not burn a drop.