Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2008, 08:19 AM   #1
Registered Member

How the EPA test for MPG

Very interesting!

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/how_tested.shtml

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/fe_test_schedules.shtml

Drive better than the test get better gas mileage!

Old 04-04-2008, 08:27 AM   #2
Registered Member

Yeah, EPA cycles are like traffic light grand prix these days, then they adjust downwards. Nothing that hugely improves steady state MPG is gonna show up much in them, and aerodynamics barely figure. The worst thing is that they're tending to make it look like that practically every compact to fullsize car gets "somewhere between" 20 and 30mpg, which probably makes the buying public figure they'll get a fullsize because it's "only 2mpg worse than the Aveo"

I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 08:28 AM   #3
Registered Member

no doubt the "old" EPA figures still hold significance. any member on this site(or any hypermiler for that matter) certainly could research vehicles using the old numbers.

those old estimates can be achieved and possibly improved just by driver mod alone, generally speaking of course.
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 08:37 AM   #4
Registered Member

My 350z is rated at only 26 mpg highway, and I have always gotten 28mpg @75 mph average. Once in while it goes to 26, sometimes 30- and my scangauge always shows it at 31-33mpg for some reason. Maybe since I use cruise control all the time, but otherwise I'm not sure why my mpg's are better than rated.
gto78 is offline   Reply With Quote