I did the unthinkable today... EOC - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2007, 09:14 PM   #1
Driving on E

I did the unthinkable today... EOC

I've been a firm advocate of not needing EOC for better fuel economy for a very long time... but I just had to try it today.

The car already doesn't have power steering, and I bump started it without any notice at all.

Just sayin... I liked it.

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 09:29 PM   #2
Supporting Member

Matt -

Heh heh heh. That's what makes older cars so fun. The good old days.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 10:01 PM   #3
*shrug*

When will you shell out for the mid?
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 12:00 AM   #4
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
When will you shell out for the mid?
probably going to be a Xmas present for myself... or a birthday present.

So like in a month.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 01:26 AM   #5
Registered Member

I am mixed on EOC... looking at it in a totally technical way, I have trouble accepting that it should contribute to our overall FE. That being said, I use EOC all the time, and it definitely boosts my numbers to levels that would be totally unattainable without it. Definitely one of the best tricks in the hypermiling bag. It was a bit scary at first, but now I actually like the feeling of it. I feel more in tune with the car.

EOC basically means free mileage, so I plan to continue using it until something makes it obsolete...

Keep it up, and keep it safe. Getting in a wreck while using this technique would kinda defeat the whole purpose..
Erdrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 02:39 AM   #6
Registered Member

i EOC only when ending a trip. ie last stretch home, to a parking spot,etc.
don't have many opportunities other than that here. anyway, not sure there's enough evidence to disprove wear on the tranny and starter in ATs to restart especially while still moving.
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 02:55 AM   #7
Registered Member

In the automatic, I was always worried about the "stranded" factor if the starter fails. The starter itself can be refreshed for a couple bucks and some elbow grease, so it wasn't the expense. That concern can be addressed with a replacement schedule (rebuild one starter while using the other) however.

With a stick shift it has been a no-brainer. If the starter quits, bump start it. Folks get into spending gas on speed matching and whatnot, I don't worry about it, there's always a better ratio trans waiting for me in the boneyard anyway if I am killing it And there have been a few folks who have EOCd since new with many miles and no issues to report.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:03 AM   #8

I absolutely love EOC. I do it every chance I get on my commute (which is often). I would say I EOC for at least 10% of my daily commute (I'm being conservative on this guess as I haven't calculated it). The ONLY two FE mods I'm really using are an HF transmission and EOC.

Welcome to the smoother, quieter side of life Matt.

BTW - When EOC'ing up to a light, I often think "this is what it would be like to be in an EV" as far as noise level goes.
GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 04:23 AM   #9
Registered Member

I have just begun as well, using COX2s injector cutoff switch method ( a breeze to setup in the mazda3) allows me to do it without messing with the key - keeping SG running and my cell phone charging. Passengers dont even notice what Im doing! I have found that my power steering remains even in EOC through injector kill switch. My brakes are good too, although I admit that I havnt used them enough during EOC to determine how many applications I have before the boost is out - but I havnt lost them yet.

Thanks to you guys here, I have learned how to bump start smoothly (double clutch or whatever you want to call it). Before that it was a rough jerk that I didnt like and wasnt going to do for long. But now - Like DaX - I do it every chance I get.

I have found with the fuel cutoff in gear coasting (uses 0 fuel supposedly), I coast in gear to stoplights when I know I have to slow down anyway and then stop. I EOC when coasting down hills and such that require maintaining speed on the other side.

I do have a question though. How does fuel cutoff in gear coasting work? How does the engine stay running if there is no fuel injected - or is it so minuscule that it keeps the engine running but not enough to be calculated. I mean whats the difference between the computer cutting the fuel during an in gear coast, and me cutting the fuel in an EOC?

Answering my own question......is it because in gear coasting keeps the engine running by virtue of the drivetrain continuing to turn the motor, while in EOC, motor stops turning?

Thanks.
-Jeff
jeffreymccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 05:37 AM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
How does fuel cutoff in gear coasting work?
From what I've learned "DFCO" cuts off fuel until your RPMs are at a lower level like 1000 rpm but that number varies epending on what you're driving.