Is Anyone Here Buying an Elio? - Page 5 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2016, 05:36 AM   #41
Registered Member

Cost should be this car's big advantage though. We won't know for sure until the Elio actually reaches buyers, but a used mini car like the Mirage or Spark will still burn more fuel with the cost of full car insurance and registration versus the motorcycle ones for the Elio.

hose minis are more car, but the Elio's target market isn't single car households. It's a dedicated commuter for those households that have a much thirstier ride, large truck, SUV, or minivan, for full car duties.

The 200+ mile BEVs are coming, but cost north of the average new car price here. Used, short range BEVs are more of a threat to the Elio on purchase price.

trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:17 AM   #42
Registered Member

Yea I think if the twizy were available over there, used examples would harm Elio's target market as you can get one now for £2500-£3500, and it's design is similar in that it's small compact, seats 2 and is meant for short urban journies or commuting.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 11:50 PM   #43
Registered Member

We had a Twizy outside the office here a few weeks back and I have to say the numbers didn't stack up very well for buying a new one.

10,000 euro and then 40 euro a month to hire the battery (5k miles).

For comparison, if you can get 70mpg the same mileage would cost you 31 euro a month in diesel! Which is achievable and you get to carry three friends and a take away!

Seating two is a stretch and if you want waterproof you have to buy the optional doors and windows! Can't find a price for those?

There are two here in Galway, one belongs to the Renault garage and the other one is owned by a Cafe and used for advertising.

And bringing the thread right back on topic, the Elio, I'll believe it when I see it. I think it's a very laudable aim that he has, but I don't think they will be able to achieve both the price and the mpg. I do keep checking the website for news though as I do hope they can get something out and not disappoint the large number of people who have already paid money up front for one.

Apologies for the doom and gloom post. I promise I'll be the first to cheer when one of these vehicles hits the spot. (Anyone remember the Sinclair C5).

Oliver
Old 07-12-2016, 05:07 AM   #44
Registered Member

Does that used price for the twizy include the battery?
Many would opt for the Elio over it because the 50mph top speed wouldn't work for them.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:25 AM   #45
Registered Member

No I don't think you can buy a twizy with the battery, but the battery lease is probably the cheapest of any BEV at around £45 a month (mileage depending) and costs half of what it costs to charge a leaf, and takes half the time, but can also only do 35-50 miles per charge. Again, getting back to my electric car cost warning topic, they make a great used buy, but you'd be foolish to buy new when you look at used examples, some of which only have a few hundred miles on.

Old 07-12-2016, 02:01 PM   #46
Registered Member

That Twizzy is cute. I have to admit though. It reminds me of an elaborate golf cart.
We got people here using golf carts. Some of the retirement communities have tons of them. The people buy ones done up like what they did for a living. One guy told me his dad had to get a fire engine golf cart. I asked if it had lights and a siren on it? He said: "No...But my dad just had to buy those and put them on it."
Old 07-12-2016, 11:13 PM   #47
Registered Member

That's all electric cars are really, glorified golf carts, or Milk floats! Incase you didn't know, a few decades ago in the UK, milk was delivered on electric floats in glass bottles direct to peoples doorsteps, the quiet motor wouldn't wake people at 5am during deliveries.

Old 07-13-2016, 05:49 AM   #48
Registered Member

Seeing how there are ICE golf carts, aren't all cars gloried golf carts then?
Old 07-13-2016, 06:23 AM   #49
Registered Member

No ICE cars are glorified quad bikes.