Plug wires - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2006, 06:55 PM   #1
Registered Member

Plug wires

Any body need to change their plug wires and want to try these.
http://www.lubedev.com/smartgas/approach.htm

Didn't have a lot of time to look but did a quick google search and could not find anything on them. Looks interesting.

zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 06:58 PM   #2
*shrug*

Eh, I don't see the theory for it anywhere, plus I tend to distrust that site in the slightest sense, so without theory (Which the site usually has) I'll say meh for now.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 06:43 AM   #3
Registered Member

I keep meaning to do a resistance test on old wires compared to new wires, but I still haven't bought the new wires and I have no idea how old the wires in my car are so it wouldn't be a seriously definitive test.

I can't imagine that they seriously degrade as much as wire suppliers would have us believe. Wouldn't wiring in houses be constantly degrading as well and need replacing much sooner than 40+ years?
Old 05-29-2006, 06:45 AM   #4
Registered Member

I agree. I know what the acetone did for me. Wish I could find some info on the wires. Even if it did 25% of what professed it be good.
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 06:52 AM   #5
*shrug*

People at my shop complain that any more they don't make cars to be durable, they make them to break so that you have to buy a new one...mehbe the same conspiracy theory applies here,

But on a serious note, I do believe plug wires will eventually go bad, but I think that's more a function of the fact that they really get juiced hard, fast, and often.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 06:57 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
But on a serious note, I do believe plug wires will eventually go bad, but I think that's more a function of the fact that they really get juiced hard, fast, and often.
True. They are in a constant "on-off-on-off" function and this tends to be harder on electrical components than always on.
Old 05-29-2006, 08:51 AM   #7
Registered Member

Most spark plug wires are NOT really wires! The insides have carbon and some fibers around them then the silicon. the more you move them or they are vibrated, the more the carbon can separate and resistance goes up. That's why performance wires are spiral core which as the name implies has a stainless steel wire wrapped in a spiral then several layers of silicon.
katman@everestkc.net

For AMSOIL products
https://www.lubedealer.com/kat

For Herbs from the Amazon
https://www.168336.amazonherb.net
GasSavers_katman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 08:58 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katman
Most spark plug wires are NOT really wires!
Thanks katman! I didn't know any of that at all. Guess I'll have to cut one open and take a peek one of these days.
Old 05-29-2006, 07:28 PM   #9
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
wire core's

Plug wires are carbon core because they are resister wires, if they were lower resistance, like pure copper, you would hear your engine running everytime you turned on anything electronic, like your radio, that is part of why older motorcycles still used copper stranded plug wires.
it is commen for the insulation to be the first part to wear out, it gets cracks and you get arcing, that is why you can tell when you need new plug wires by when your car runs poorly in the rain, and if you look at your running engine at night, and see arcing, you need new wires.
if your house wiring was exposed to heat, oil, water and grit, you might have to replace it every few years because the insulation would degrade to much.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 11:07 PM   #10
Registered Member

I changed most of my ignition components it looks like it improved my mileage a bit. I changed the spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap, distributor rotor. I hate bosch stuff, my plugs and wires are now NGK, it's much better quality than bosch.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote