put water in gas for better fe? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2008, 08:50 AM   #11
Registered Member

You might be able to get some improvements in fuel economy (have anyone tested that?) but it's still far away from the promised 50% increase in fe that many water as gas programs promise.

They try to make you believe that the engine will actually use water as fuel which is not possible. It might be usable as an addative but that's all.

Where I live in Finland we usually add a little alcohol to the tank during winter. This makes any condensed water in the tank blend with the gas allowing it to be burnt with the fuel.

So you could add water with alcohol to have it blend with gas.

A cup of alcohol 2-3 times per winter is enough to get rid of condesation in most cases.

Simon

Handy gas mileage and automotive calculators at MilesGallon.com lets you find out the real mpg of your vehicle, calculate the fuel consumption and cost for a trip and how about a tool that gives you the total cost per mile for a specifice vehicle over its lifetime.

milesgallon.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 02:17 PM   #12
Registered Member

I actually believe the increase in mileage in this case comes from the water being evaporated. No, water isn't combustible - but when it passes through the fuel line and injectors, it heats up and burns off as steam, essentially steam-cleaning your fuel injectors and removing carbon build-up, which reduces fuel efficiency. Continuing to put water in the gas tank will not maintain that efficiency - you'll get the same degree of efficiency when running gas-only after cleaning the EFI system.

94CelicaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 03:24 PM   #13
Registered Member

Good point, there's the cleanup effect.

I am fairly convinced however, that steam is a better "working fluid" than the other exhaust gases, so capturing the energy in expanding steam can get you the same cylinder pressures for less fuel burned. Of course, you have to have a plan to reduce fuel input, the ECU might not agree with your intentions. But as I mentioned above, there's a limitation to the amount one can introduce before it quenches combustion too much when evenly mixed introducing it as HHO would kinda get around that.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:29 PM   #14
Registered Member

It's the amount of the "type" of steam injected that counts. The amount of "none detonating inducing heat" that can be transferred back into the combustion process is tremendous. The CO oxidation speeds up. Flame front speeds up. But it takes proper mixtures. Not easy to control at all engine load conditions.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:09 AM   #15
Registered Member

A lot of the comments here gives me the impression you could get quite good improvments in fe with water injection.

If that's true, why isn't any auto manufacturer doing this? Water injection is only used when boosting engine performance in competitions, right?

At least that's the only real-world usage I have ever heard of.

Simon
Handy gas mileage and automotive calculators at MilesGallon.com lets you find out the real mpg of your vehicle, calculate the fuel consumption and cost for a trip and how about a tool that gives you the total cost per mile for a specifice vehicle over its lifetime.

Old 03-21-2008, 08:17 AM   #16
Registered Member

Reread

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic94 View Post
http://water4gas.com/2books.htm?hop=mserv
put water in gas for better fe?

i just spent about 30 mins reading that, i think its total bs.

but if it really works im for it
After reading for 30 minutes you still got it wrong. Nowhere does it say you put water in gas. HHO is the breakdown of water into what it is made from. You add the HHO gases to the intake manifold as a gas and your car runs on Gasoline and HHO and the HHO causes the fuel to burn more effeciently and cooler . The idea of running the engine with water as a liquid is not stated nor possible.
rangerbentman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 01:46 PM   #17
Registered Member

Liquid water injection is actually used in reality to boost performance. It cools the air in the cylinder which makes it denser thus allowing more air and oxygen in.

If that also increses fe is something I don't know.

To run on HHO gas as stated on the sales page is something I have never heard of, but judging from the astronomical FE increase promised (double mileage) on the sales page it is probably all BS and snake oil.

Simon

Old 03-21-2008, 02:11 PM   #18
Registered Member

Brown sugar / snake oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by milesgallon.com View Post
To run on HHO gas as stated on the sales page is something I have never heard of, but judging from the astronomical FE increase promised (double mileage) on the sales page it is probably all BS and snake oil.

Simon
brown sugar and snake oil have little to do with the 50% gain. Driving habits and HHO can increase your mileage as has been demonstrated numerous times. % gain is more accurate at 15-35% which is still better than what I get now. Sales pages are to get your attention ( which it did ) and hopefully cause you to do some due dilligence before taking it for granted that what you are buying is 100% real. Lottsa stuff on the net about HHO as fuel enhancer.
rangerbentman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 02:57 PM   #19
Registered Member

Have anyone of here tested a HHO converter with a scangauge and measured the difference it makes?

It would be interesting to see some independent test results.

Simon