Reverse drafting - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 09-09-2006, 12:44 PM   #11
Registered Member

I didn't say so in my original post, but I adjust my speed to match the vehicle I'm reverse drafting, including trucks behind me on hills. Common courtesy.

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 02:23 PM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to The Toecutter
Quote:
Who has ever been passed by a semi?
I've had one turning into my lane without using a signal while I was there. I had to swerve into a ditch to avoid the *******, who I could clearly see in his mirror as he flipped me off(also verifying I wasn't in his blind spot). Wish I had my gun in the car at the time; I'd have blown his tires out.

The Toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 02:42 PM   #13
Registered Member

Hard to Please

I see your point Metro, but I'd probably end up giving more throttle than I'd like to match the speed, and kill the FE on the upswing side. Now, coming down the hill, I'd have a "backdoor" and maybe go well above the speed limit to have a leg-up on the next hill. They'll pull the semi over first.

Anyways...

99.836% of drivers out there are hard to please. I'm constantly feeling guilty being the slow guy, because I know how I used to feel about, well, how I am now. My experiment with 57 mph in the 70 zone on I-70 for 200 miles really brought out the worst in society. The US and Canada aren't ready for people who drive under the limit, as we all know.

I get the best FE out on the 6-laner -- I stay in the middle lane so I can let people pass on the left and get on the highway on the right (and adjust according to special situations). In town, people tend to be more tolerant because traffic is thick anyway.

I think we just have to try a few things, do a quick psychological profile of the drivers around us, and try to get the best FE possible.

I have a very important rule though:

Sometimes preventing road rage is more important than FE.

RH77
Old 09-09-2006, 02:51 PM   #14
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to The Toecutter
Quote:
Sometimes preventing road rage is more important than FE.
Lord knows it's almost gotten me killed on multiple occassions.
The Toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 04:14 PM   #15
Registered Member

Is it really that bad where you live?

The worst response I've ever seen in my rear view mirror was a guy go apoplectic when he caught up to me coasting to a red light - a light which he also had no choice but to stop at.
Old 09-09-2006, 04:56 PM   #16
Registered Member

I drive a Metro I think people understand why it is slow. I still would like to get a bumper sticker that says "Avoid the rush pass me now, I'm peddling as fast as I can!" Perhaps it would be appropriate to turn on the emergency flashers if we are significantly slower than traffic. What are the rules regarding emergency flashers?

On the subject of being passed... I was driving on the Washington DC beltway (not in my Metro) the posted speed limit was 55, I was going 70 and a cop passed me going at least 75. Scared the heck out of me.
GeoMetry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 05:10 PM   #17
Registered Member

I love the bumper sticker idea!

I use my 4-way flashers on a pretty regular basis to encourage cars to go around me when it's clear (e.g. 2-lane highways). When I do this, I also move the car in a very obvious manner to the extreme right side of the road as an additional signal.

In the city, the technique is somewhat different - I'll signal right and pull to the edge of the road as if I'm going to pull over and park, or turn into a driveway. I often put the brake lights on as well (without engaging the brakes).

I also sometimes use turning lanes to let a following car pass me. As long as there's no other driver around who might misinterpret my move, I signal, pull in the turning lane activate the brake lights, then tuck back in behind the car when he goes by.

I've found it extremely rare that the following driver won't go around without fuss in these situations.
Old 09-09-2006, 06:29 PM   #18
FE nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG
I love the bumper sticker idea!

I use my 4-way flashers on a pretty regular basis to encourage cars to go around me when it's clear (e.g. 2-lane highways). When I do this, I also move the car in a very obvious manner to the extreme right side of the road as an additional signal.

In the city, the technique is somewhat different - I'll signal right and pull to the edge of the road as if I'm going to pull over and park, or turn into a driveway. I often put the brake lights on as well (without engaging the brakes).

I also sometimes use turning lanes to let a following car pass me. As long as there's no other driver around who might misinterpret my move, I signal, pull in the turning lane activate the brake lights, then tuck back in behind the car when he goes by.

I've found it extremely rare that the following driver won't go around without fuss in these situations.
Using the flashers was one of the things Wayne had me do when we went out for my FE "clinic." That, along with pulling to the edge of the road(RR-ridge riding), we had no trouble with people going around and leaving us alone. In fact, I don't think we even got any "salutes."

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 07:04 PM   #19
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
Quote:
Originally Posted by zpiloto
It's a speed limit sign. I guess most people think that it is the minumum speed you can drive. It was nice driving wise when gas hit $ 3.00 there were quite a few driving in the right hand lane at the posted speed.
thats really just a suggestion.

but i agree metrompg, regardless of how fast your are going, you should ALWAYS be considerate!!! i get really frustrated when a car is going 30 in a 35 mph no passing zone for 5 miles. some people make me want to shoot myself in the face!! so does the guy going 52 in the left lane while passing a mac truck(who is very slowly accelerating to 60) in a 55mph zone. i guess people are only really this rude in nj....

anyway i really appreciate that the majority of you are mindful of surrounding motorists and make efforts to be courteous. you are the best example of slow drivers i haver ever known!
Old 09-09-2006, 07:35 PM   #20

We just made a round trip to york, pa today and we were going 65 in the right lane (speed limit) and we felt like we needed our flashers on. We were high beamed flashed, honked at, flipped off, and swerved around in the most aggresive ways. Now mind you traffic was light and this was a 4 lane highway, at no point were we obstructing anyone. The left lane was always clear.

Got 41.5 one way and 43.5 the other. So F em .

ketel0ne is offline   Reply With Quote