Reverse drafting - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2006, 09:21 AM   #1
Registered Member

Reverse drafting

Change to the right lane in front of a slow vehicle (keeping a respectable distance of course). You are now free to drive at the reduced pace of the vehicle behind you. You are no longer responsible for blocking faster traffic; it was flowing around this vehicle anyway.

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 09:21 AM   #2
Registered Member

Reverse drafting: how to slow down on the hwy and not hold up traffic

Haha... I do that all the time. lol. I thought I was the only one.

Lately though, I have been really pleased because the highway patrol has REALLY stepped up their presence around here. It's not unusual for me to see 5 to 7 motorcycle cops on one 10 mile stretch of highway. It's nice, because now I can go just over the speed limit and not have other drivers pissed off at me.

LincolnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 09:25 AM   #3

In the area I am in the slowest cars on the road are not large trucks they are hybrids, me, and cars in need of repair, grandma's, or pickups with trailers towing boats, horses, or race cars.

Most transport type of trucks are doing 65+ on 55mph. If the speed limit is 65 most vehicles are doing 80+.
ketel0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 09:38 AM   #4
Tuggin at the surly bonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketel0ne
In the area I am in the slowest cars on the road are not large trucks they are hybrids, me, and cars in need of repair, grandma's, or pickups with trailers towing boats, horses, or race cars.

Most transport type of trucks are doing 65+ on 55mph. If the speed limit is 65 most vehicles are doing 80+.
Maybe if you put up a sail, you can surf the bow wave of a big rig.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:56 AM   #5
Registered Member

It's a speed limit sign. I guess most people think that it is the minumum speed you can drive. It was nice driving wise when gas hit $ 3.00 there were quite a few driving in the right hand lane at the posted speed.
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 10:03 AM   #6
Driving on E

Who has ever been passed by a semi?

I have.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 11:24 AM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Yeah and I flash them the brights when it is clear for them to change back to my lane after they pass - they seem to like that a lot and blink their running lights back at me. Only problem I have with going the speed limit is freeking people keep passing and pulling back in my lane WAY too close and throwing rocks into my windshield. You think they were pulling into a parking space . . . where did I put my forward mounted rocket launcher! What really pisses me off is I get into a draft behind a couple of trucks leaving about 2.5 to 3 seconds distance and a jerk pulls into the space between us and moves me back out of the draft.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 11:45 AM   #8
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to tomauto Send a message via MSN to tomauto Send a message via Yahoo to tomauto
Semi's get pissed at me They would get stuck behind me for a while, and then when the traffic clears, they quickly change other lanes in a very dramatic manner.

I've been driving at least 60 on 70mph highway. They definately aren't the slowest on the road. After all, for them, time is really money!!
Beater: 1988 Honda Civic DX Hatback - Stripped - 30mpg

RIP: 1996 Honda Civic LX 42mpg - you will be missed

https://tomauto.smugmug.com/Cars
tomauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 02:06 PM   #9
Registered Member

i am almost without fail the slowest person on the road. I'd love to go below the speed limit but i don't think that's an option with the kinds of idiots around here. the only time it's ok is when it's raining, most people around here slow down, except for trucks, they fly by when it's raining.
white90crxhf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 12:20 PM   #10
Registered Member

Metro - for the first time, I'll have to respectfully disagree.

Truck drivers around here tend to speed up rapidly before a hill to maintain momentum for the upcoming hill. If I get in front, I'm not accelerating as fast in my "pulse" phase and the lorrie driver gets right on my bumper (making me pretty nervous).

The solution would be to ID major trucking companies that have governors on their tractors; for example, Swift Trucking governs their trucks to 61 mph (possibly to save on FE :-D) BUT...having driven a truck with a governor, the ability to "Glide" is still there; example: the governor is on the fuel delivery, not the speed. If gravity takes over, the truck can coast faster than its limiter allows. Again, there I am in the crosshairs or with a Mack bulldog up my arse.

Otherwise, it's a decent strategy.

RH77