Showing off the VX improvements... - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2011, 04:23 AM   #21
Registered Member

Re: Showing off the VX improvements...

I applaud your efforts. They seem to be well thought out, and practical (cept for maybe the grounds which seem to be a waste of weight to me.. just clean up your ground cable(s)?)...

Its shame at the grassroots level we cannot be more scientific in measuring results.. its just not feasible as you point out.. not to mention, filling a tank the same each time is not even feasible.. its one of the items Id like to get a handle on.. just got 48 mpg last tank in my 90 HF.. but it was getting 42.. was it better fuel? Better driving? Or did the pump shut down early? With such a small tank even a quart can impact... ugh.. so what you are doing.. (charging ahead) makes the most sense.. well done.

barchetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 04:41 AM   #22
Site Team / Moderator

That's why we focus more on the 90 day average on this site. Minor hiccups like overfill/underfill and such are averaged out over 90 days and are negligible. If you are looking for instant data as to driving technique and such most vehicles now are compatible with a ScanGauge which can give you that live data from the engine computer.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:07 PM   #23
Registered Member

Any new pics?
caeaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:21 PM   #24
Registered Member

Sure, I've got a couple that I posted in another thread recently:
New interior wider view rear view mirror:

New interior drivers' mirror:

Outside shot of new inside mirror/black coroplast:

Because I never put these photos over here; this is from the block heater install:

Extra ground to EM in the hopes of providing a better ground for the 02:

Current picture of the air box I'm running, seems to be helping:

A random photo of the inside of my CAT:

That's all for now. I need to take some more photos of the underside paneling. I have a couple of repairs to do and photograph sections I haven't yet.
B
benfrogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 04:28 AM   #25
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

Quote:
Originally Posted by benfrogg View Post
Outside shot of new inside mirror/black coroplast:
Why not paint the bolt heads black? They won't be invisible but they'll match.

or, use white coroplast to match the car, and paint the bolt heads white.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:15 AM   #26
Registered Member

HC-
It's been too cold to paint here; I'll dress the screws up in the spring.
I've got a few other misc painting projects that are waiting on warmer weather.
B
Old 03-10-2011, 11:36 PM   #27
Registered Member

when you grounded that bolt on the exhaust manifold, did you make sure to remove all the rust from the nut, and the bolt itself? Also, can you do us a favor and tell us the OHMs value of the o2 sensor to ground? My suggestion is to use one probe on the body of the o2 sensor (anywhere there is metal) and then some ground bolt that is on the car, make sure the bolt is COMPLETELY clean both where it screws in and where you make contact with the probe. Report back the ohms value you get.. I'm gearing up for a thread on o2 sensor grounding.
imzjustplayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:45 AM   #28
Registered Member

The threaded stud and nut were both clean on their contact points when I installed it.

Prior to installing it, I had 0.00 from the body of the 02 to negative battery ground. There was no difference between installing the wire and not having it. (as far as the multi-meter was concerned) I suspect my multi meter just isn't sensitive enough.
However, I had already installed a couple of extra grounds to the block from the battery prior to this ground. Those were probably the actual fix.
All I can say about whether or not it works is that it can't hurt. There were no quantifiable results to speak of. The "seat of the pants" feel made me think it was different, in the good way, but nothing I can test scientifically other than the multi-meter.
I'd suggest that people use a multi-meter on the body of the 02 to the negative lead on the battery prior to adding grounds/cleaning things up. If there's no higher resistance to ground, I'd say adding extra grounds would do nothing but add weight.
If, on the other hand, there was even a slight amount of resistance, it would be well worth someone's effort to correct it, for obvious reasons. I guess that's where I'd focus.
Anyway, hope that helped.
B