Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-17-2006, 09:57 AM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
Why are you still driving a car?

First advice people seem to be given when they ask how to improve their mileage is to pick a rout that they can drive slower, coast more, and when you check the average speed of those who are getting really really good mileage they seem to be averaging around 25mph, and are driving alone in an empty car, and I'm reminded of a saying "don't use a hatchet to remove a fly from a friends forhead" it's not the right tool for what you are trying to do, just because you have a hatchet in hand doesn't meen you should try to use it for everything, how much better is it to drive a small car with one person in it then it is to drive an SUV with one person in it? if you can get away with an average speed of 25mph in an empty car why do you need a car at all? take a Bicycle, electric bicycle, moped, scooter, or small motorcycle, I know that some of the new gas scooters are advertized as only getting 65mpg, but those are the very very bottem of the line scooters, made in China by compenies with no quality controle, I've worked on a few, and you can't even get parts! but I've talked to people who fill up every 100 miles, and say they never put over a gallon of gas in their scooter, they are also cheaper to insure (or not insure in alot of states) cheaper to park, most don't require any additional drivers license, license plates are much cheaper (or get something of an age that you can get collector plates that never expire), and in the coming years more and more 4 stroke epa aproved engines are going to be used, within a few years it sounds like Honda is going to only use fuel injection.
I've put around 2,000 miles on my motorcycle this summer by useing it for short trips around town getting half again better mileage then my car, or about 20 gallons of gas saved in 2000 miles, saving my car for use on the highway, and when I need to haul people, or stuff, or when it's raining.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote