49/51 Coolant/Water ratio for a warmer engine? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > Experiments, Modifications and DIY
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2008, 08:52 PM   #11
Site Team / Moderator

Don't laugh, but I noticed a grocery store here keeps gallons of distilled water in the refrigerated case by the express lane. I don't know if they really mean to have distilled water there, and not spring water as most of their help does not speak English. They are probably oblivious to the difference between distilled and spring water.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 05:49 AM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Don't forget that the antifreeze also has pump lubricant and corrosion inhibitors that you need to prevent damage to the engine and radiator. Increasing coolant pressure will add more stress to pump seal and hoses so watch it. Higher engine temperatures does not always result in higher MPG - the fuel injection system came sometimes richen the a/f mixture if the engine runs too hot to help cool it.

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:57 AM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanGeo View Post
Don't forget that the antifreeze also has pump lubricant and corrosion inhibitors that you need to prevent damage to the engine and radiator. Increasing coolant pressure will add more stress to pump seal and hoses so watch it. Higher engine temperatures does not always result in higher MPG - the fuel injection system came sometimes richen the a/f mixture if the engine runs too hot to help cool it.
the best setup in my opinion is 70% water/30% antifreeze + redline WaterWetter (prevent corrosion and lubricate water pump). That's what I've been using for a long time.
holypaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:10 AM   #14
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
Lubricate water pump? Have you guys seen a water pump out of a car? The bearings are sealed from the coolant, the only time those bearings even see that stuff is when the seal blows and then you have bigger problems than bearings being lubricated.

The only thing other than changing boiling and freezing points that antifreeze is good for is corrosion inhibition.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:11 AM   #15
Site Team / Moderator

Just my 2 cents worth here... 33.3% antifreeze is easier to calculate because its 1 gallon antifreeze to 2 gallons water.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 10:50 AM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehallbackhoe View Post
I run evans waterless coolant in all of my diesels. this allows much higher temps before it will boil.
+1

I use it in my gas vehicles as well as my diesels. Won't boil until a ridiculously high temperature, and it slows the release of heat from the coolant. That can raise keep the temperature of the metal high, but continue to remove heat. Water based coolants will eventually boil in hot spots, the coolant doesn't carry the heat, keeping the coolant temperature low, but the engine has hot spots (bad).

I
Old 08-26-2008, 11:00 AM   #17
Site Team

On my "summer car" I run 0% antifreeze. Instead I run distilled water, RMI-25, and water-wetter. I run 0% antifreeze because water gives better heat transfer without the antifreeze.

RMI-25 is a cooling system additive that replaces the other effects of antifreeze like lubrication and corrosion resistance.

Been running that way for almost 10 years now. My water pump and radiator are about 15 years old and still look/act practically brand new.

If you are looking to run hotter instead of colder, you might consider 100% antifreeze (or 80/20). It reduces the heat transfer of the liquid, compared to 50/50.

-Bob C.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:46 PM   #18
Registered Member

things sometimes just shouldn't be messed with as usually when cars over heat first things that gets fudged up is the head/headgasket

putting a higher pressure cap on will only cause leaks to form, generally you go lower pressure if you have a small leak, heck my truck doesnt have any pressure cap on it (drilled it out) and no heating/overheating problems.

dont run pure coolant, bad things happen

if you get below zero temps and dont like flushing/changing out coolant twice a year just leave it at 50/50 or slight variation of. frozen water can do amazing amount of damage so dont risk it if your not exactly sure.

yea even the model A had a bearing water pump and a grease filled bushing to provide lube and keep water in. not sure what your going to lubricate in a cooling system...
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 07:50 AM   #19
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjones96 View Post
Lubricate water pump? Have you guys seen a water pump out of a car? The bearings are sealed from the coolant, the only time those bearings even see that stuff is when the seal blows and then you have bigger problems than bearings being lubricated.

The only thing other than changing boiling and freezing points that antifreeze is good for is corrosion inhibition.
Sorry I should have said lubricate the water pump seal . . . and yes they can leak and wear out really quickly. My first radiator block got my engine over 210F and caused a leak in the pump . . . in my New xB!
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 10:33 PM   #20
Registered Member

Anti freeze alternative for higher engine temps

I found out that the best way to get a higher engine temp is to use straight antifreeze without any water whatsoever. the right kind of antifreeze to get is one made by Sierra, and it is actcually made out of propelene glycol enstead of ethelyne glycol. propelene glycol is real safe and biodegradeable. they use it in food. Cool thing aboit it is it has a boiling point of some 370 degrees. So you can run your engine real hot without any pressure buildup or boiling problems. you have to get all the water out however so there is nothing left to turn to steam.

GasSavers_Vman is offline   Reply With Quote