Hand Activated Throttle Control - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > Experiments, Modifications and DIY
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2006, 02:00 AM   #11
Registered Member

I looked at it last night and tried to install it. It is massive as it was made for a truck. Anyway, the resistance from the huge cable won't allow for proper operation of the accelerator pedal, the return spring would need to be much stronger. I will need to adapt a bicycle type brake cable to the head unit. This will take some time.....

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 04:36 AM   #12
Registered Member

The solution is my new design...the throttle detent spring.

I'll send you instructions for $100. This is highly technical...designed with consultation from several NASA engineers. Patent Pending.

a new policy....I intend to ignore the nescient...a waste of time and energy.
ZugyNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 06:09 AM   #13
Tuggin at the surly bonds

If the throttle return spring (TRS) is too much, what if you removed the TRS from where it attaches to the throttle body? Then put a return spring on the gas pedal itself. If the gas pedal cable is stiff enough it should push the throttle closed when you release your foot.

Now rig your hand throttle cable with a chain as suggested above. The hand throttle friction/lock would not have to fight the TRS tension. It's simple and stupid but if it works, it may not be so stupid.

If you want high-tech, put a clutch from an A/C compressor directly on the throttle pulley-like thing:
- Clutch-engaged = throttle lock system set.
- Clutch-disengaged = system works normally.
- Add solid-state or relay logic to latch the clutch with a push button and disengage it with switches (on gas pedal, brake, clutch pedal, hand brake, etc.). Maybe. Or not.
Old 02-03-2007, 06:01 AM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
Putting the return spring on the far end of the control is a safety consideration. Allowing the controlled device to potentially stick open leaving the operator with no control is a liability that engineers won't accept.
Welp, it was SOO cold yesterday that my throttle stuck open . With the cable only pulling there was nothing for it except to pulse the injector kill switch till I could pull over and get under the hood and work it free. Must be some moisture in that cable or something...
Old 06-02-2007, 08:01 AM   #15
Registered Member

Gee, guys. How about using a throttle control cable? It's a push/pull cable with a knob on the end. You pull the knob to open the throttle, then twist it to lock it in position. I put one on a Pinto back around 1980 during the first 'gas crunch'. (I took that baby from 15mpg all the way up to 25mpg!) I've always suspected a throttle control will give better mileage than a cruise control, but it was kind of a nuisance slowing down so much when going up the hills. And, of course, there is no automatic release when you hit the brakes.

I would sure love an adjustable second spring on the throttle. Then I could just push the pedal down to my chosen position, and hold it steady without any thought. I could always open it further if desired, but it would take a conscious effort. I'll have to look into that again...

s2man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 05:24 PM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2man View Post
Gee, guys. How about using a throttle control cable? It's a push/pull cable with a knob on the end. You pull the knob to open the throttle, then twist it to lock it in position. I put one on a Pinto back around 1980 during the first 'gas crunch'. (I took that baby from 15mpg all the way up to 25mpg!) I've always suspected a throttle control will give better mileage than a cruise control, but it was kind of a nuisance slowing down so much when going up the hills. And, of course, there is no automatic release when you hit the brakes.

I would sure love an adjustable second spring on the throttle. Then I could just push the pedal down to my chosen position, and hold it steady without any thought. I could always open it further if desired, but it would take a conscious effort. I'll have to look into that again...
We should get one of the electronic gurus to come up with a simple signal generator to wire to the cruise through a switch to the vss wire. As long as the signal stays the same the throttle should be held in the same position by the cruise and you can still deactivate it by tapping the brake.

friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 05:59 PM   #17
Registered Member

I have the remedy for this and it comes in form of a 12 volt push/pull type solenoid, controlled by a switch.

I work with hydraulically lifting box trucks that cater air craft, these trucks use this solenoid to advance the throttle to a designated RPM to speed up the hydraulic system operation. It is secured to the engine on the throttle side of the carb and cable operated. You hit the switch, it pulls the arm in, pulling the cable which is looped around the throttle mechanism on the carb and sets the RPM to 1900.

I see no reason why you couldn't wire one of these up to an on/off switch instead of a momentary. Hell, even w/ a momentary switch, if you mounted it on the steering wheel it would be very safe to operate.

I'll check the brand name on the solenoid this week and get info.
'96 Chevy C1500 (5.0L 5sp)
'08 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
'01 KTM Duke 2
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 08:19 PM   #18
Registered Member

find a Fiat 850 Spyder and take the one out of it
cheapybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 07:08 PM   #19
Registered Member

I am going to try the bike cable thing with my hx I cant find any honda's in my pap yard.

It would be great to trick out the stock Cruize control to have it cutoff ect when you hit the brakes.

i do have a old Cruize control on the shelf my grandfather gave me I will have to look at it.
Old 06-08-2008, 05:22 PM   #20
Registered Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2man View Post
Where can I find one of those?

LarryClapp is offline   Reply With Quote