My WAI - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-02-2009, 12:45 PM   #21
Registered Member

have you told them that you are getting around 40 percent over EPA?

I had my tires realigned and the manager wanted to talk to me about the stuff I had done to my car to get such good mileage. I told him that the alignment was killing me. I was only getting 34-35 MPG. my EPA estimate says I should get about 25.

the big 38 on the side of my car does get some attention especially since it is an atuo trans.

I would say to the mechanic and the tire supplier, if it couldn't handle it then why is it printed on the side of the tire? I still stay a little below what mine is rated. I keep mine at 45 or so and side wall is 51 (odd numbe isn't it)

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:49 PM   #22
Registered Member

I tried that, and to be fair, he's always really busy and hasn't had a proper chance to explain to me why he thinks it's a problem. I don't really take his concern seriously, so haven't made a point of getting it out of him. He is interested to see what a belly pan would do, but is also a little freaked by the idea of a grille block.

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:32 PM   #23
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
as far as I know, the scangauge shows crank horsepower not wheel horsepower. I think there was a discussion about that but I am too lazy to look it up (plus I am supposed to be working right now)
I'm pretty sure that the ScanGauge horsepower reading is worthless for comparing cars, it's not giving you crank or wheel horsepower, just a vague idea that you can use relatively and only on your own car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximilian View Post
My mechanic mostly thinks I'm crazy, but he's still interested. His tire suppliers have convinced him over inflating tires is a bad idea (even if within the rated pressure), so he hassles me about it.
I suspect he hasn't tried it, at least not on modern tires and vehicles. I've been doing it for 400,000 of my 600,000 miles of driving experience and it's always been great for handling and wear (and most of the time I wasn't concerned with fuel economy at all).
Old 06-03-2009, 07:39 AM   #24
Registered Member

Didn't I see in one of the WAI threads that the insight's WAI is behind the radiator so high power levels overwhelm it and cools the air off again? Has anybody tried doing that themselves?

co de pen den cy

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
Old 06-03-2009, 01:51 PM   #25
Registered Member

Got my SG2 today and my IAT is 112 F after about 15 miles of driving (drove to fill up and zero the SG2). Not positive that's steady state or not, but 112 F seems about about what I'd expect based on my oh so sophisticated "touch the duct test" from the other day. What temp should I be aiming for anyway?

co de pen den cy

Old 06-03-2009, 01:55 PM   #26
Registered Member

Based on what I'm seeing in the WAI threads, 112 is lowish. Maybe the manifold heat shield isn't getting hot enough? What if my WAI was the heat shield? Be easy enough to do.

co de pen den cy

Old 06-03-2009, 02:03 PM   #27
Site Team / Moderator

From reading other posts there seems to be a bunch of others that say around 180 is good, and almost everyone says that over 200 the performance suffers too much.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 06:37 AM   #28
Registered Member

I removed my manifold shield and repositioned the split duct to cover the same area. It didn't like all the manhandling, but this is only temporary anyway. I ran the O2 sensor out the same way the original did.

co de pen den cy

Old 06-05-2009, 07:02 AM   #29
Registered Member

if you already had a heat shield, you do have another option.

many that already have heat shields simply unbolt the top of it and bend it back. then place the ducting directly into that.

so far this year, the highes temps I have seen have been in the low 160s so it takes time and what is the average daily temp. the delta that I am seeing on average is 70 degrees over ambient if that helps

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 07:06 AM   #30
Registered Member

I wish I could, but I don't want to screw with the original in case I need to avail myself of the warranty. In that case, I'll rip my WAI off and bolt it back on. I'm actually keeping it in my trunk and have tools to reattach ti should I fail on the road.

co de pen den cy