O2 Sensor Extender? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-03-2008, 07:21 PM   #11
Registered Member

Running your fuel & air mixture lean could also cause you to get burnt valves if you get it too lean. I have been told that you need the O2 extender or something to fool the computer if you are planning to run hydrogen or the computer will recognize more oxygen in the exhaust and pour in more gasoline, defeating the benefit of the hydrogen.

#47 on my way to #1
Ford Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 06:42 AM   #12
Registered Member

O2 sensor extender

Where do I find them?

mrea46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 07:13 AM   #13
Registered Member

The cheapest way to do it is to buy a spark plug antifouler at an autoparts store (I bought a pair of them for $3.50 at autozone a few months ago). If I recall correctly, it needs to be an antifouler for 18mm spark plug holes so it will match your oxygen sensor threads. You will then need to drill out the center of the antifouler with a 1/2 inch drill bit so the tip of the oxygen sensor can stick down through it.

Don't forget to use anti-seize compound when you install the antifouler or else you may not be getting it back out after a few years.
GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 06:04 PM   #14
Registered Member

I THOUGHT those things looked just like the old antifouler plug caps!
Old 06-10-2008, 05:08 PM   #15
Registered Member

What you fail to understand is that in the late 70's-early 80's when carbs were in use there was not a map sensor, intake air temp sensor, O2 sensors or a ECU to change the AF ratios. The carb had adjustments for a single AF ratio. So why is it that they put all of those sensors on our vehicles????. That's right....to keep you from getting better Fuel Economy. Didn't they tell us that all those sensors were to help us improve FE. All that crap keeps us from improving FE and increases our maintenance bill to get all of it worked on....force us to take it to them. It is all about money flow to them and us not getting great FE.
Here is a simple analogy.. In 1924 the Model T ford was being mass produced and the vehicle got 24 MPG. The average vehicle on the road in 2007 gets 25 MPG...
On the other hand do you remember the telephone in the 1930's???? Black rotary dial piece of junk, right? In 2008 the cell phones are some of the most sophisticated devices known to man. Sooooo.....in 84 years they can't do anything on a mass scale for FE. Give me a break!!!!! FE is clearly suppressed. In 1954 a guy named Henry Pogue had a modified carb that got 94 MPG and 100 MPG. There are over 200 patents for vehicles that get over 100 MPG. Where are these patents??? I am glad you asked The patents are owned by Ford, Chrysler, GM, Exxon/Mobil, Texaco and BP. They purchase the patents from the original inventor and "shelf the patent" It is being done on purpose. If you can't see that for yourself then ask yourself how great of a company you would be if you never improved your product for economy??? The average company would be shut down. In this case we have big oil, g0vt and the auto manufacturers all working together on this one. It is all about control. Plastics and rubber products are derived thru oil. Pharmaceuticals are an oil derivative. Now if you can control the oil then you can control the entire world. They have controlled the media(TV, Newspapers, magazines since the early 1930's) And you thought that just because the g0vt is the authority that they are telling the truth. That is it for my rant today. It is all being done by design.
Dwayne
1fixitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 11:38 AM   #16
Registered Member

lol I'm a dumbass sorry I totaly just posted a thread exactly like this one... oh well. This was very helpful though and I am going to try this today if I can get to the store soon. (my cars in for some break adjustments, damn midas couldn't do it right the first time)
Old 07-07-2008, 11:47 AM   #17
Site Team / Moderator

Arrow

You realize that a patent only protects a design for a few years. This allows the "inventor" of a technology to make some money on it by getting royalties. The patent expires after a few years... 15 or 16 if I remember correctly. If that is the case then anything patented before 1982 should be public domain now. "Shelving a patent" only works in the short term. If it was truly a conspiracy then once the patents became public domain all sorts of aftermarket companies would be selling these "shelved" gas saving devices.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 08:26 AM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fixitman View Post
In 1924 the Model T ford was being mass produced and the vehicle got 24 MPG. The average vehicle on the road in 2007 gets 25 MPG...
Seriously??

How much did a Model T weigh? How fast would it go? How much power did its engine make?

Now look at those numbers for a modern car.

What you'll find is that the Model T was far lighter while producing substantially less power than a modern car. A modern vehicle must drag around several thousand pounds of "extra weight" (you know, for that stupid thing called "crash safety").

If you put a modern engine into a Model T, what kind of mileage would you expect?

Quote:
FE is clearly suppressed. In 1954 a guy named Henry Pogue had a modified carb that got 94 MPG and 100 MPG. There are over 200 patents for vehicles that get over 100 MPG. Where are these patents??? I am glad you asked The patents are owned by Ford, Chrysler, GM, Exxon/Mobil, Texaco and BP. They purchase the patents from the original inventor and "shelf the patent" It is being done on purpose. If you can't see that for yourself then ask yourself how great of a company you would be if you never improved your product for economy???
Dood. You gave away the secret, now agents hired by big oil are going to find you and "get" you.

I'm sure if you put your tinfoil hat on, though, you'll be OK.
dosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 02:16 PM   #19
Registered Member

this got really off topic... so anyone have some helpful real world results from this yet? I can't seem to get my o2 sensor off so I may just skip it sadly
Old 03-16-2009, 06:16 AM   #20
Registered Member

Talking ((the Truth About Os Extenders ))

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyadc View Post
Do the O2 Sensor extenders really increase your mpg?
This is how Oxygen Sensors work, regardless of what people are saying all over the Internet (they are all saying it because they heard it from someone who heard it from someone who heard it from someone else but no one really knows).

Oxygen Sensor "only" measure the amount of "heat" coming out of the pipe. As the Oxygen Sensor heats up due to a reach mixture (above 600f) starts to produce a small voltage (from 100mv in some cases up to 3v). Any time the ECU reads below 450mv it will take it as the engine running "lean", why? because the air coming out is so cold (due to high oxygen) that the sensor will not heat up to high, giving a low voltage output.
When the ECU compensates by giving more gas the engine starts to run more reach, making the output gases hotter and therefor heating up the OS sensor who then starts to produce more voltage. The ECU will do this until the output voltage will average to 450mv (perfect mixture according to the CPU programming).

Now, to the point that I am trying to make. If you install an extender, this will pull the OS a bit out of the pipe, less hot gases will go through it (if any) making the OS work a bit colder ... yes, you guessed it, it will output less voltage telling the ECU that the output is high in oxygen (or at least that's how the ECU will see it). The ECU then will try to compensate by giving gas and yes, you guessed it again.... that does not sound like it will be saving you any gas, now does it?

OS extenders => "Bad Idea"

cooltechie is offline   Reply With Quote