O2 Sensor Extender? - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-16-2009, 07:36 AM   #21
Registered Member

Cooltechie- we welcome new ideas here but could you give us some web links to references that correspond to what you stated above?

GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 06:00 PM   #22
Registered Member

Smile Saving gas

O2 extenders dont work. I tryed 1 on an 03 Malibu and noted no change not even with my scan gauge. I tryed 3 different H generators I built and no change, but I could really blow-up some water bottles. A 3.3K ohm (not 220 ohm) resistor on the air intake temp. sensor works though. My GTP got 6% better MPG after already having a cold air intake and it cost $1 at Radio Shack and any Joe can do it in 1 min. It will think your air intake is always 70degrees. It thinks the air is richer and uses less fuel to keep the preset air to fuel ratio at 14.7. I have noticed no change in HP though. Also u can pop the screen out of the mass air flow sensor for air flow. U can build u a RAM air intake for $40 at O'Reilly's. U can get or make a crancase breather to save gas. U can catch blow-by with a cheap Mason jar if your car has a vaccum line off of the PCV valve which will also help HP.
When I used to drive my 03 Malibu it got 8 MPG Hwy over EPA after my mods for $50 and a great HP improvement.
Zmaxx also makes a big HP improvement. Hope these cheap tricks help u

Afterburner GTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 06:02 PM   #23
Registered Member

Almost forgot I used a 10K resistor which brought my air intake temp down to 30 degrees and my A/C wouldn't come on, so don't over do it.
Afterburner GTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:01 PM   #24
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
I like how the performance guys use O2 extenders to increase performance by richening the mixture and MPG gurus use them to lean the mixture to increase mileage.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:07 AM   #25
Registered Member

As far as I can figure it's all about the relative activity of the O2 either side of the sensor, since it's biased between exhaust gas oxygen and atmospheric oxygen. By pulling the O2 into a cooler exhaust flow it may under estimate the amount of O2 present. It will depend on where your O2 sensor is located and the flow at that point in the exhaust system. On the outside of a bend you might not be able to pull it back enough to make a difference, in a turbulent flow, you might not be able to pull it back enough. There will be a fine line between getting the exhaust side a little cooler and cooling it enough so it doesn't work... in which case you're running rich in open loop or holding startup open loop sooner.

My preferred method would be to increase the activity on the backside of the sensor by keeping it as hot as possible, shrouding the backside against the exhaust pipe so all the air it sees is superheated and the O2 is more active. Vehicles with an O2 sensor in front of the motor may see a benefit from grille blocking due to stopping airflow cooling the O2 sensor backside and getting more warm air around it.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 02:06 PM   #26
Registered Member

I thought those O2 extenders were mainly just for people running without a cat? The ECU checks the second O2 sensor to monitor the catalysts efficiency (there should be less O2 after the cat "burns" any left-over hydrocarbons.) Thus, if you remove the cat you can get a check engine light because the ECU thinks the cat isn't working right (both sensors reading the same O2 level.) Putting the second O2 sensor on an extender fools the ECU into thinking there's still a converter because it's seeing less O2 again.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:39 PM   #27
Registered Member

Help, more info please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afterburner GTP View Post
O2 extenders dont work. I tryed 1 on an 03 Malibu and noted no change not even with my scan gauge. I tryed 3 different H generators I built and no change, but I could really blow-up some water bottles. A 3.3K ohm (not 220 ohm) resistor on the air intake temp. sensor works though. My GTP got 6% better MPG after already having a cold air intake and it cost $1 at Radio Shack and any Joe can do it in 1 min. It will think your air intake is always 70degrees. It thinks the air is richer and uses less fuel to keep the preset air to fuel ratio at 14.7. I have noticed no change in HP though. Also u can pop the screen out of the mass air flow sensor for air flow. U can build u a RAM air intake for $40 at O'Reilly's. U can get or make a crancase breather to save gas. U can catch blow-by with a cheap Mason jar if your car has a vaccum line off of the PCV valve which will also help HP.
When I used to drive my 03 Malibu it got 8 MPG Hwy over EPA after my mods for $50 and a great HP improvement.
Zmaxx also makes a big HP improvement. Hope these cheap tricks help u
Hi, i just read your post with great interest, i have installed an HHO generator on my Audi and have a real HP boost but i am not seeing the MPG increase they claim. now i am thinking of installing a Volo performance chip to increase MPG, the HHO company said i should use a 02 sensor extender, but that is real hard to do on my vehicle. Do you think a 3.3k ohm resister will work for me with the HHO?
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Andy.
GasSavers_freeradical2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:30 PM   #28
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Man View Post
Running your fuel & air mixture lean could also cause you to get burnt valves if you get it too lean. I have been told that you need the O2 extender or something to fool the computer if you are planning to run hydrogen or the computer will recognize more oxygen in the exhaust and pour in more gasoline, defeating the benefit of the hydrogen.
The problem is not running too lean, it's not running lean enough. Egt temps are only high right about 15-16 to 1 under load. Higher than 16-1 actually run cooler. Nevertheless, unless you have an egt gauge and a wide band sensor you can't tell what you are running. Careful
iveyjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:31 PM   #29
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iveyjh View Post
The problem is not running too lean, it's not running lean enough. Egt temps are only high right about 15-16 to 1 under load. Higher than 16-1 actually run cooler. Nevertheless, unless you have an egt gauge and a wide band sensor you can't tell what you are running. Careful
This is totally false, I sure hope no one melts their pistons because of misinformation like this..... I really don't understand why people insist on commenting on a subject they obviously know nothing about...
BoostedBastardMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 07:19 AM   #30
Registered Member

in fact i have just installed one of those o2 Extenders in my front o2 sensor and my car not only has idle problems but also my EGT has displayed for first time around 780 Cº of combustion temperature!! , so now may i try using EFIE?? , to be honest i dont like to much the idea of keep on playing with the air/fuel mixture, it is risky , do i have anoter alternative to start taking advantage of my hho cell??

Many Thanks & Rgrds

hhostream is offline   Reply With Quote