Deer whistles - do they really work? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2007, 08:43 AM   #1
Registered Member

Deer whistles - do they really work?

Deer whistles. Anybody have experience with them, good or bad? We have them on both vehicles. We live in an area that has a high amount of road kill. Fortunately, we have not come close to hitting a deer in either vehicle.

I have read lots of conflicting anecdotal reports. What have you found?

m

Old 06-19-2007, 08:52 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Raccoonjoe Send a message via MSN to Raccoonjoe Send a message via Yahoo to Raccoonjoe
Deer whistles....I honestly couldn't tell ya if they work or not. I have seen quite a few vehicles hit deer with the whistles installed, however........

I've always found that the best way to avoid hitting a deer is to make sure you can see them. I'm currently running a set of 100 watt spot/driving lights on the front of my Jeep....I can see the deer 1/2 mile away (or more, in the right conditions). Also, remember to stop if you see just one deer....IME, they usually run in groups of 2 or 3. That's saved me quite a few times now......

Old 06-19-2007, 09:47 AM   #3

From EB1677 - "Animal Warning Devices" by Leonard Askham:

"A scientific advisory panel from the World Society for the Protection of Animals states, after extensive review, that there is no known data 'that shows that such devices can actually stop an animal crossing the road, which is the main purpose of the device.'"

"The state police in Ohio, after months of testing, found no significant decrease in patrol car/deer accidents after the warning devices were installed. In fact, more accidents were reported by the officers after the whistles were installed than before for the same period of time and stretches of highway. Tests conducted in Utah, Georgia and Wisconsin also concluded that deer whistles don't work."
Maillemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 12:48 PM   #4
*shrug*

The main thing I think is to make sure at night you aren't overdriving your headlights. Slowing down is the best thing, and we shouldn't have a problem with that,
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 12:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maillemann View Post
"The state police in Ohio, after months of testing, found no significant decrease in patrol car/deer accidents after the warning devices were installed. In fact, more accidents were reported by the officers after the whistles were installed than before for the same period of time and stretches of highway. Tests conducted in Utah, Georgia and Wisconsin also concluded that deer whistles don't work."
Those idiots musta put 'em on back'erds!
GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 01:04 PM   #6
Registered Member

Deer still walk out in front of the car, but I have seen NO elephants WHATSOEVER. So I think they are worth it since elephants are much scarier anyway...
Old 06-19-2007, 01:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maillemann View Post
"A scientific advisory panel from the World Society for the Protection of Animals states, after extensive review, that there is no known data 'that shows that such devices can actually stop an animal crossing the road, which is the main purpose of the device.'"
Back in the day ... settin' on Granpap's lap listenin' to huntin' tales . He'd often tell how he could get an animal to stop for a clear shot by a quick shrill whistle . Even demonstrated the technique .
Well I know for a fact it does work quite often enough that I will not *ever* attach a whistle to the front of my car ! Last thing I want is to have anything stop in the middle of the road whether it be a car/truck, deer...moose ... bear ...or elephant even ! Just so I can end up hitting it with my car . The advice for slowing down and not over driving your vision is the best ( at night OR day )
MnFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 01:52 PM   #8
Registered Member

I think the concept (seriously now) is that wherever the deer is, the whistle will cause it to stop. The idea being that what you are most worried about is one jumping out in front of you, rather than one that is standing stock still in the road.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:59 PM   #9

Yup ! but on a two lane road do you aim for the ditch (and other two or three deer ) oncoming traffic or the standing stock still deer in front of you ? Iffn I had my druthers -I'druther take my chances that the deer *won't* jump in front of me ...YMMV
MnFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 04:56 PM   #10
Registered Member

dont work just a gimmick. i usualyl slow down if i see one near the road. even then thier dumber thna abox of rocks... my sister stopped dead because one was standing in the road and we were waiting on what to do either drive around it or honk or somehitng but outa the blue one plowed right into the side of her door even tho she was stopped...sscared the crap outa us...

if i find myself in a situation where im going at a decent speed on a 2lane road and i come up on a deer that i know i cant stop for im gonan lay on the horn and lock the brakes...one of the loud noises is going to make em move....i will never swerve for a deer if im going fast. id rather take the risk of the deer moving or me hitting it and doing just some hood damage than possibly loose control and plow into a tree or flip the truck...

VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote