manual tranny question - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 01-17-2008, 03:56 AM   #11
Registered Member

I think that the main reason why cars don't have manual transmission coolers is that they are generally not needed. Manual transmissions are a good deal more efficient that automatic transmissions, and don't produce nearly as much waste heat. So for most purposes, just dissipating the generated heat through the case is good enough.

I should mention that it may be possible to set up a manual transmission cooler fairly easy on an older Honda. The 1990-1993 Intgra transmissions actually employ an oil pump to generate oil pressure in order to control the speed sensitive power steering. This oil pump is located on the speedometer cable pickup, and, on a non-power steering equipped car, could be set up to pump oil. This oil pump could pump oil between the fill and drain plugs, and through a cooler and filter. And there is a chance that this pump could be installed on any Honda cable transmission. But it wold not be possible to use it on a newer Honda, as these cars use an electronic speed sensor o the transmission.

StorminMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 04:06 AM   #12

Hmmm, never thought of using the VSS / PS booster pump to pump oil through the transmission. The lines are tiny going to that (1/4" ID?) though, but I guess anything is better than nothing.

GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 05:44 AM   #13
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
If it is really hot out when you are hauling then I would be concerned and you might try a heavier weight oil. Sorry but I have to mention Synlube since it is a higher quality high temperature lube with great friction reducers which will improve mileage and reduce heat from friction before it is created.

Something else to consider is cleaning the outsides of the transmission and rear end and painting it black to radiate heat better and maybe an air scoop or even an electric cooling fan. First though would be a remote temperature gauge to monitor the tranny and rear end temperatures.

BTW running at higher RPM will not help the rear end at all, will only help the input shaft of the tranny a little but will help cool the engine better. The reason is that the torque is still the same loading the output shaft and gears plus higher revs can aid a little in cooling by flinging more oil around but can also increase heating of the oil in the tranny.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 11:38 AM   #14
Registered Member

nah it will be fine... its a jeep, a mechanical billy goat!!! i would just do a quck check to see if there are any leaks anywhere and then check and regrease the u joint on the driveshaft(s) if you can (some are sealed).

just check the level of the tranny and rearend and fill with whatever the book says if you need to then drive off into the wilderness!!!
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 11:47 AM   #15
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to kamesama980 Send a message via Yahoo to kamesama980
with proper oil changes, you pretty much can't burn up a manual transmission or differential hauling within the GCVW. even a 4 cyl jeep can tow 2500 lb like nothin.
mechanic, carpenter, stagehand, rigger, and know-it-all smartass
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
kamesama980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 05:10 PM   #16
Registered Member

Here's a follow up: the minivan that was having trouble pulling the trailer, left me in the middle of an intersection today. I guess that I will never get another auto just because of the complicated/unreliable factors.
no wonder it wouldn't pull that trailer.
-Becoming the Archetype
thecheese429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 05:56 PM   #17
Registered Member

I can't stand them automatics, and we are plagued with them. People talk about Americans being hard working, but we drive the sloppiest, laziest, least efficient and least reliable, but heaviest and most expensive transmissions. Hmm...
Old 01-18-2008, 01:08 PM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skewbe View Post
I can't stand them automatics, and we are plagued with them. People talk about Americans being hard working, but we drive the sloppiest, laziest, least efficient and least reliable, but heaviest and most expensive transmissions. Hmm...
you forgot we're the biggest market for fast food and cars they do everything under the sun for you.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:38 PM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skewbe View Post
Not only that, but automatics are quickly becoming more and more mandatory. More and more, you just don't have a choice but to live with an automatic transmission. For instance, you can't even get a full-sized truck anymore with a manual transmission. You just have to wonder whether small cars and sports cars will one day have mandatory automatic transmissions as well.
StorminMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 08:50 AM   #20
Registered Member

look at sports cars available...9 out of 10 have tiptronic automatics (tiptronic is a brand name but u know what i mean) instead of manual. 6 speed manual is rare.

the exception is the REALLY high end cars with a computer controlled clutch/manual like audi with the DSG and a few others. still not my taste tho