What kind of car protection do you have that prevents getting your car stolen? - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2006, 06:58 AM   #21
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onegammyleg
Hii MakDiesel ..

yeah , most bazooka tubes are quite small and light.
Most thieves dont come fully prepared unless they have seen it b4 and know what they must overcome to get the goodies.
Probably at best they will come with a set of wire cutters and and pliers , so if you throw an allen headed bolt in their somewhere they will be quite skrood.

or one up them w/ a tamper-proof one way flat head (and have access on the bottom). Ha! suckers....

MakDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 09:20 AM   #22
Registered Member

Why not go nuts and use ?shear off head? bolts ,, then no one can get it out

onegammyleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 09:58 PM   #23
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher
If you're fooling around with car audio as a student you aren't as poor as you say. Return the stupid thing and buy some books.
ROFL

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 10:53 PM   #24
Registered Member

Hi theclencher..
You can get some real cheap car hifi gear now...
Chinese speakers can be very cheap , but unfortunately they sound like sumone is strangling a cat.

Old 10-03-2006, 11:09 AM   #25
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher
If you're fooling around with car audio as a student you aren't as poor as you say. Return the stupid thing and buy some books.
I only buy toys once the bills are paid, and school started back last month. Besides, I need something to drown out the turbo semis and road noise inside my 222k mile, partially-gutted, Honda tin box during my mostly highway 320-mi weekly commute to school/work.
However, I am not a liar, quoth Wikipedia:

The current poverty rate is measured according to the 2006 HHS Poverty Guidelines[5] which are illustrated below.

Persons in Family Unit 48 Contiguous States and D.C.
1 $9,800
2 $13,200
3 $16,600
4 $20,000
5 $23,400
For each additional person, add $3,400

Being as I am on par to make less than $9,800 this year by several hundred, I am, in fact, poor, and in college (and therefore a student).

MakDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 05:09 PM   #26
Registered Member

A little update. I rewired the alarm a little better and hid a lot of wires. The autolock is working out great.

Next I plan to get a battery backup for my alarm because I know how easy it is to quiet an alarm. I also plan to get a kill switch.

The kill switch will obviously be installed after the battery back up. I want me to be last person that finishes up the security on the car and know where everything is.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 07:15 PM   #27
Registered Member

Hi Compaq888

Put the siren in a hard to reach location and in such a way that would prevent sumone from filling it up with expanding foam from a spray can.

What I have done in my alarms is have the alarm siren output wire switch an external relay.
The relay then has two sepeate fused wires on its output that go to two seperate sirens.

If the baddies get access to 1 siren and ground the wire going to it (which normally could destroy the output switching transistor in the alarm) it will just blow 1 fuse but the alarm will continue to be alarming.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:58 AM   #28
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
I bought my civic with tinted windows, and it's nice for those times that I have $1000 worth of tools in the back (most of the time) but really my main anti-theft device is, when my car is not parked in the driveway I put the keys in the ashtray insted of on the dash like I do at home, if I'm in a large city that I don't know well then I'll lock the doors and remove the stairo/cd face plate and toss it under the seat (CD player being most likey to be stolen), but if someone wanted to steal it, they will steal it.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 09:14 AM   #29
Registered Member

thats all i do, but i want that flamethrower protection system that used to be available in either brazil or africa. Need to try and find a vid.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:51 PM   #30
Tuggin at the surly bonds

I had an old car stolen once. It was maybe worth $1,500 ... $1,800 tops. I got $3,650 from insurance after my deductable. Schwinggggg...

So who would I be protecting with an alarm? If anything, what the advent of "all cars having alarms" brought us is car-jacking. I'd like to go back to the old way please.