Automatic Transmission Fluid - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-12-2008, 12:18 PM   #1
Registered Member

Automatic Transmission Fluid

Keeping in mind that the purpose of this entire site is to save money.......

The Automatic Transmission Fluid, as well as all other lubricants your vehicle uses, plays an important role in making the vehicle operate to design specifications. Simple logic, eh?

I have not played the game of trying every product. What I do is paper research, ie. test results, tech info and so-on. And recommendations from people I know.

Here is what I learned from using one product in one vehicle.

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Dakota
Engine: 3.9 V6
Transmission: 4speed automatic W/Lock-up.

Modifications:
*Gibson Headers. Which gave me 2 MPG more, and much better performence.
*Flowmaster Muffler. Gave 1 MPG improvement, but only at illegal speeds. The racket eventually drove me mad.
*Jacobson Pro Street Ignition. Smoothed the naturally rough V6 and gave about 1 MPG. Better wires helped, by themselves.
*Amsoil By-Pass Filter System.

Miles Driven: 623,000.
Original Engine. Original Transmission.
When I sold it, the truck still averaged 18.7 MPG. That is about a mile less than in it's youth.

The secret of the slightly higher than average MPG and long life was Amsoil Lubrication.

Their ATF is rated for three times the manufacturers recommended change time. The Dakota's ATF had over 100,000 miles on it and oil analysis said it was fine for continued use.

The Point? If you can go three times, or more, as many miles as you have between oil changes. Isn't that more economical?
Wouldn't Algore be happy you aren't supporting terrorists by using so much oil?
Would it be good if your transmission lasted longer than those guys using old fashioned ATF?

623,000 miles on original engine and transmission, using Amsoil by-pass filters and lubrication.
+Everybody knows something you don't know.
+Artists prove truth can be in forms you don't understand.

Low-Risk Option Trader
Retired Pro-Hunter featured in; 'African Hunter', by James R. Mellon III. and listed in; Rowland Ward's Records of Big Game.
shatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 08:33 PM   #2
Registered Member

old fasioned atf is just that though. amsoil is comparing to dexron/merconIII

dexron VI is also 2X as good as dexron III http://www.alldatadiy.com/alldata/AF...3523/121139078

anyone who has a 06 or newer vehicle, purchased atf since 06, or had their trans. serviced since 06. should have dexron VI

now amsoil may or may not still be better than dexron VI.

comparing amsoil to dexron III seems old fashioned to me

Old 10-12-2008, 11:54 PM   #3
Registered Member

I have personally never had a gain in MPG from synthetic ATF, including Amsoil. I wish everytime I convert vehicles over, but I have yet to see it personally.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:05 PM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
I just do a 3 quart drain and fill every 10k miles when I do an oil change.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:52 AM   #5
Registered Member

Shatto....My whole drivetrain is synthetic and I couldn't tell if it gave me any measurable difference in fuel economy overall, so I do not think just changing atf fluid to syn would make a difference. This is just my personal opinion/experience.

Sounds like you got a lot of mileage out of that truck. That's pretty darn good.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:33 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatto View Post
Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Dakota
Engine: 3.9 V6
Transmission: 4speed automatic W/Lock-up.

Miles Driven: 623,000.
Original Engine. Original Transmission.
When I sold it, the truck still averaged 18.7 MPG. That is about a mile less than in it's youth.
That's awesome!
Old 11-22-2008, 06:12 PM   #7
Registered Member

The transmission, especially an automatic I imagine, has very little drag so there wouldn't be much MPG change between fluids. There could be a dramatic improvement with a manual, as evidenced by manufacturers changing to ATF and special low viscosity oil.

In the case of Amsoil, the benefit for me was being able to go 3-times longer, or more, between changes. And the ultimate longer life. Remember, you got clutches and other wearing parts and pieces in there.
623,000 miles on original engine and transmission, using Amsoil by-pass filters and lubrication.

Low-Risk Option Trader
Retired Pro-Hunter featured in; 'African Hunter', by James R. Mellon III. and listed in; Rowland Ward's Records of Big Game.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:24 PM   #8
Site Team / Moderator

Actually, I wonder if taking a step backwards wouldn't be better for FE as far as fluids go. I know a couple of people who've done this. They replaced Dextron II / Dextron III fluid with Ford Type F fluid.

The logic given was this. To create smoother shifts the fluids are engineered to let the transmission slip more. Ford Type F doesn't let it slip as much, and shifts harder, but supposedly its more efficient. I've never seen any real data on it though.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 06:37 PM   #9
Registered Member

I would not mess with the newest stuff.
My Tundra has an exclusive transmission fluid that is 'lifetime' and they stress that other fluids will damage the transmission. I ain't going to risk the cost of the transmission to play; even with my beloved Amsoil, who does not have an application listed for the new Tundra. When they do, I'll switch.
Same is also true for motor oil. 30 weight oil can wreck the new Hemi and other 10 and 20 weight requirement engines. Mercedes has already lost lawsuits for engine damage caused by the wrong oil being installed by dealers.

Low-Risk Option Trader
Old 11-23-2008, 10:05 AM   #10
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to jeep45238
I know this much - I stick within the manufacturer's specs for fluids, and use the most premium fluid I can find for those specifications.

I change my oil ever 4000 miles and my transmission fluid once a year. Not counting the abuse I gave the car in high school, the car's perfect.

jeep45238 is offline   Reply With Quote