--- "vortekz" Generators Tested!! --- Pictures!! - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Aerodynamics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2008, 12:10 AM   #11
Registered Member

Please don't let this thread die, and when you have MPG data, please post them. I am very currious. Especially if you have highway MPG data at 65MPH+, where these aero mods matter most.

I noticed that Mazdas tend to have good aero already. I also think they are good cars to draft behind (especially the mazda3 hatchback).

I am not conviced any more that having an attached flow on the back window necessarilly translates to better Cd. So having MPG data would be compelling evidence for me to experiment VGs vs a rear spoiler.

sonyhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 04:54 AM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyhome View Post
I noticed that Mazdas tend to have good aero already. I also think they are good cars to draft behind (especially the mazda3 hatchback).
That doesn't add up. If they had good aerodynamic design, they wouldn't pull a draft well at all.

Old 08-07-2008, 05:09 AM   #13
Registered Member

Well, they're kinda like cambacks, so if you stick your head at the end of their wedge... hum.... I mean enter their stagnant air before the top and bottom flow reconnect (cleanly) then you should get sucked in. F1 racers draft each other.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:49 AM   #14
Registered Member

They actually won't do anything for your miles per gallon. You will spend more on these "generators" than what you will save in gas. They are only used to direct air towards a spoiler to create more downforce...

since I see a spoiler, you're going to generate more drag leading to worse miles per gallon. Here is the demonstration on how the generator was come about for the EVO and the window spoiler on the 06/07 STI:

As you can see, the rear window spoiler works better in getting the air where it needs to be. It is also measured by downforce seen here:

The EVO has 46.86LBS of front end lift and 9.68LBS of rear end lift at 90MPH, at 124 MPH it has 90.42LBS of front end lift and 18.7LBS fo rear end lift.

The STI has 57.64LBS of front end lift and 38.06LBS of rear end downforce at 90MPH, at 124MPH it has 111.1LBS of front end lift and 73.26LBS of downforce

So the answer is to actually get rid of your generator and your wing if you're trying to get better miles per gallon.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:22 PM   #15
Registered Member

^ The thing is, my wing is not made to create downforce, its just meant to look "pretty".

With that in mind, if the air is directed more towards the spoiler it will create a hatchback type of aerodynamic flow; which as we all know (Prius) is one of the best shapes for low Cd. of drag.

Now, you are however absolutely right about what you are talking about (creating more downforce), but only if the wing is made to create downforce in the first place. Mine is completely flat, while the evo's and sti's are at an angle- to provide downforce.

So all in all, I think they do help in reducing turbulent airflow without adding extra downforce which would net in an increase in lower Cd. But hey... only my next few gas tanks will tell

I will keep up the gas log and let you all know, and I am moving to Fort Worth next week so that will be a good highway trip that I can get good data for.
Old 08-09-2008, 09:54 AM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudAccord View Post
They are only used to direct air towards a spoiler to create more downforce...
If you read the Mitsu PDF you'll find that was not their original intention.

Quote:
To save energy and to protect the global environment, fuel consumption reduction is primary concern of automotive development. In vehicle body development, reduction of drag is essential for improving fuel consumption and driving performance, and if an aerodynamically refined body is also aesthetically attractive, it will contribute much to increase the vehicle's appeal to potential customers.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:21 AM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL8Brick View Post
If you read the Mitsu PDF you'll find that was not their original intention.
reducing drag and creating downforce makes no sense to me.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:52 AM   #18
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyhome View Post
Well, they're kinda like cambacks, so if you stick your head at the end of their wedge... hum.... I mean enter their stagnant air before the top and bottom flow reconnect (cleanly) then you should get sucked in. F1 racers draft each other.
what is the .cd of an f1 car? with all of the down force i bet its not that good.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:14 PM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisntjared View Post
what is the .cd of an f1 car? with all of the down force i bet its not that good.

Yeah no F1 cars have a VERY bad .cd of drag, but it is because they create so much downforce.

So in other words, its VERY good to draft behind one of those F1 cars, if you could , since all the air is being displaced upwards instead of flowing straight back.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:17 PM   #20
Registered Member

In other words, forget about installing VGs, draft behind low riding cars with spoilers, in particular if they have VGs...

Maybe similar reason is why I feel drafting mazda3's on the road is better.