"Bicyclists think they own the road!" - Fuelly Forums

Android Users - Coming Soon! - Migrating from aCar 4.8 to 5.0

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-15-2007, 10:26 PM   #1
Registered Member
 
Snax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 758
Country: United States
"Bicyclists think they own the road!"

Ever heard anybody say that one? No doubt yes. I've really only heard it once since I started commuting by bicycle nearly full time and my response was that of a fellow driver, acknowledging that there are certainly a number of idiot cyclists out there who really don't even attempt to follow the rules. Lately however, the idea that bicyclists do not own the road strikes me in a more offensive manner. Not because I've had any real run-ins with rude or mean drivers, but because of the simple inaccuracy of the implication.

We, as citizens of our respective countries do in fact own the public roads. It is not limited to those who insist on driving, but every single one of us, adults, children, drivers, bicyclists, pedestrians, and everybody else not in that list. The roads are in the public right of way and are part of the commons. In other words, land owned by the citizens and maintained in the public trust.

Additionally, our amount of contribution to the maintenance of public roads through taxation is therefore a relatively moot point when you consider the wear and tear costs, as well as maintenance costs associated with bicycle useage on the roadways. Yeah, I DON'T pay a gas tax, but I also don't roll a 1 to 3 ton vehicle over the road every day either. I'm fairly certain that my contribution to pothole formation pales in comparison to that. Nevermind the endless days of having to navigate the debris cast off into the bike lane and left to destroy my tires by street sweeping crews.

So, as you may have guessed, the next time somebody says something to the effect of bicyclists thinking that they own the road, I'm going to tell them we sure as hell do - even the complete idiots, so get over it.
__________________

__________________
LiberalImage.com

I think, therefore I doubt.
Snax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 10:29 PM   #2
Supporting Member
 
Hockey4mnhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 760
Country: United States
i just wish i could ride a bike to school and work. lucky!
__________________

__________________
Hockey4mnhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 11:55 PM   #3
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 358
Country: United States
Yeah, I hate it when people complain about it. We do own the road, and legally don't have to use a bike lane either. I prefer to ride in traffic. It's much safer. People turning tend to see you when you're in front of them rather than next to them.
repete86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 04:22 AM   #4
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 5
Country: United States
I just dislike the cyclists that ignore traffic laws
zurno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 07:05 AM   #5
Registered Member
 
zpiloto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,225
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by zurno View Post
I just dislike the cyclists that ignore traffic laws
I agree and I think that is where the animosity comes in. On my commute the common site is for riders to blow through stops signs or stop at lights and then wait and when it's clear run the red lights. I think that the jest of the comment and to that point I agree with um.
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 07:56 AM   #6
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 290
Country: United States
Hmm... this is a tough call. When the biker DOES interfere with the flow of traffic, I tend to get a little mad. I mean, they don't have gas usage to worry about. Making a car slow down to go around you (if you are a biker) wastes gas, pure and simple. If the biker is far enough off to the side of the road, and driving in a straight line, then I have no problem with them. The idiots who weave around and ride their bike in the middle of the road though... THEY are a different story.

Problem could be solved if all cars were eliminated and everyone had to ride bikes. Wouldn't that be nice? I am actually serious in this statement too by the way. Re-work railways around the country (USA) and let the roads that used to get trampled on by cars, be gently trodden on by bikes.
Erdrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 08:27 AM   #7
Registered Member
 
Snax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 758
Country: United States
I must admit to calling more than a few other bicyclists dumbasses in the last 6 months. Typically they look like the kind of people who have had their license taken from them.
__________________
LiberalImage.com

I think, therefore I doubt.
Snax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 09:14 AM   #8
Registered Member
 
omgwtfbyobbq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,516
Country: United States
I dunno about Japan, but over in the states, bikers don't interfere with traffic, they are traffic. I don't see people give the same kind of chit to slow moving vehicles like tractors or certain types of large trucks, probably because they could crush their car like a tun can. I've tried to cycle where I'm hugging the curb and follow all the r00ls, and where I'm out, occasionally running reds, and asserting myself. Lemme tell y'all, it's way better giving yourself a couple more feet from the curb and not bothering to wait around in urban situations, provided the coast is clear, so to speak. Maybe it was because of my location and attire, but I've run reds/stops in front of cops np... There is a fundamental difference between breaking the law in a vehicle that can easily hurt others, and one that can only endanger yourself, which is why we don't need a license or insurance to ride our bikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snax View Post
I must admit to calling more than a few other bicyclists dumbasses in the last 6 months. Typically they look like the kind of people who have had their license taken from them.
You'd be surprised how different someone's cycling and driving styles can be.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaTwo
I think if i could get that type of FE i would have no problem driving a dildo shaped car.
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 09:21 AM   #9
Registered Member
 
zpiloto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,225
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwtfbyobbq View Post
I dunno about Japan, but over in the states, bikers don't interfere with traffic, they are traffic. I don't see people give the same kind of chit to slow moving vehicles like tractors or certain types of large trucks, probably because they could crush their car like a tun can. I've tried to cycle where I'm hugging the curb and follow all the r00ls, and where I'm out, occasionally running reds, and asserting myself. Lemme tell y'all, it's way better giving yourself a couple more feet from the curb and not bothering to wait around in urban situations, provided the coast is clear, so to speak. Maybe it was because of my location and attire, but I've run reds/stops in front of cops np... There is a fundamental difference between breaking the law in a vehicle that can easily hurt others, and one that can only endanger yourself, which is why we don't need a license or insurance to ride our bikes.

You'd be surprised how different someone's cycling and driving styles can be.
As you say hugging the curb is a safety issue you need room to manuver but how is running stop signs and lights a safety issue.
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 09:28 AM   #10
Registered Member
 
omgwtfbyobbq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,516
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by zpiloto View Post
As you say hugging the curb is not safe you need room to manuver but how is running stop signs and lights a safety issue.
Well, it depends on how ya do it I suppose. It shouldn't be a safety issue as long as you use your noggin, but some cyclists don't and will rush straight in w/o giving everything a good look or three.
__________________

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaTwo
I think if i could get that type of FE i would have no problem driving a dildo shaped car.
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.