Fiddle Stix - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2009, 05:51 PM   #1
Registered Member

Fiddle Stix

I noticed purely by accident, that when I added an accidental sware word in my thread that an automatic program recognized my cursing and turned it into ***. At first I was saying "What?" then started to laugh, my enthusiasm for haveing Ferrari beaten grabbed me with the emotion of 7 years waiting for Ferrari to slip.

Then it brought back memories of a phenominon in Hollywood called "TV Safe", during the 80's Cable was big and movies destined for playback on late nite TV were now the mainstream cable viewing like TBS, TCM, and AMC. These companies had to spend thousands of hours editing out all the cuss words, so a suggestion was made to shoot a TV safe take and edit it in the movie when it was time for its cable showing.

Now most of the movies edited for television were sublime, like Frieakin, Gosh, Oh my Goodness, but one movie "Cats Eye" turned a predictable B grade horror into a comedy. The F word was replaced with Fiddle Stix, GD was replaced with Dangit and JC was replaced with Christmas. I mean it was funny and I wish I could find a copy of the TV Safe version.

But when it comes to the king of all TV Safe curse masters it has to be Josemite Sam. Jumpin Jehosefat, Rackin Sackin Frackin Frickin Frack, much like A Christmas Story, "Dad turned cursing into a symphone of sware words", Yosemite Sam was the master of one off cuss words.

I don't know about you, but with all the stuff on Cable and useless channels out there, why don't they have a Warner Brothers channel? Bugs, the Road Runner, Daffy Duck, Tweety Bird, Peppy LePew, Speedy Gonzalez, Sylvester, Droopy, Foghorn Legghorn, and of course Barney Bear. They wern't loaded with messages and lessons, they were more like Mad Magazine, a funny look at reality.

GasSavers_Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 05:45 AM   #2
Registered Member

Oh yes and who could forget Elmer Fudd, "My name is Elmer J. Fudd, millionaire, I own a mansion and a yatch".

Duck Season, Wabbit Season, Duck Season, Wabbit Season, Wabbit Season, Wabbit season, BANG!!!

I could go on for hours, oh well completely off subject.

GasSavers_Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:18 AM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
They do have a Warner Brothers channel. Two, in fact...one is "The WB". The other, I was just reading about the other day...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartoon...(United_States)
Quote:
By the end of the 1980s, Ted Turner's cable-TV conglomerate had acquired the MGM film library (which included the older catalog of pre-August 1948[1] color Warner Bros. cartoons), and its cable channel Turner Network Television had gained an audience with its film library. In 1990, it purchased animation studio Hanna-Barbera Productions and acquired its large library as well as most of the Ruby-Spears library. By October 1, 1992, Cartoon Network was created as an outlet for Turner's considerable library of animation, and the initial programming on the channel consisted exclusively of reruns of classic Warner Bros. (like Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies), MGM (like Tom and Jerry and Droopy Dog), and Hanna-Barbera cartoons (like The Jetsons and The Flintstones), with many Hanna-Barbera TV cartoons like Wally Gator used as time fillers.
I never knew that it was affiliated like that nor why it was created, I thought it was just another specialty channel that had to buy rights to show stuff.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:42 AM   #4
Site Team / Moderator

A couple of those characters have been banned in the US for portraying racial stereotypes...

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:43 AM   #5
Registered Member

The movie Fargo cracks me up when played on TV. The F-bomb is replaced by "Fruity," and "Flippin," and even "Pointy."

"I'll take your flippin wife and fruity kid and shoot them all in the back of their pointly little heads!"

Classic
IndyFetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 11:20 AM   #6
Site Team

I think every American should be subjected to one episode of Road Runner every week.

And although I'm not sure of the legal enforceability of a "ban", I haven't seen any Fat Albert shows in a long time either. Those were the days...
Old 09-30-2009, 01:57 PM   #7
Registered Member

cartoon ban? how about this old one...

tom(tom and jerry) comes to mind when he's playing a chellow, singing to a female cat "is you is, or is you ain't my baby?"
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 02:40 PM   #8
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobc455 View Post
I think every American should be subjected to one episode of Road Runner every week.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:31 PM   #9
Site Team / Moderator

Arrow

Warner Brothers has pulled certain characters from syndication, so its not aired on TV, and they can control what's released on DVD.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:35 PM   #10
DRW
Registered Member

who needs TV when we have youtube?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9zwT9-Mrww

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8D93...eature=related
that oughta offend someone