Left foot braking anyone? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2008, 12:13 PM   #11
Registered Member

left foot braking is dangerous for one main reason.

In a panic situation when you need to SLAM ON THE BRAKES, there's a high likelyhook you'll actually mash both the gas pedal and the brake pedal since you're not making the usual transition with the right leg over the brake pedal in your everyday driving technique.

When I'm driving, if I'm not accelerating, my right leg is hovering over the brake pedal. No acceptions. That's what the "dead pedal" is for in an automatic afterall... rest your left leg there, while in an automatic, your left leg is not to be used.

Also - left foot brakers do have a tendancy to ride the brakes, I've observed many times, a commercial vehicle (or company vehicle) w/ the brake lights on while accelerating... I then proceed to dial the "how's my driving" number and report them as left-foot-brakers... which unless you drive a postal truck, is probably NOT VERY SAFE.

'96 Chevy C1500 (5.0L 5sp)
'08 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
'01 KTM Duke 2
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 12:36 PM   #12
Registered Member

Left foot and right foot braking is learned. It's either learned well or not. Some can't even drive well, period.

There's no propensity for the right foot to be necessarily better at using the brake than the left, but an individual trying to do that task, left foot braking, on an irregular basis isn't going to be good at it as they are with their normal operations.

Old 10-09-2008, 04:30 PM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEDan View Post
Hey ya'll I've been lurking for a while now. I was reading up on drafting be cause I love to draft. I'm one of those *******s who draft >6 Feet away.

I only do this because I practice left foot braking, that is braking with my left. I find that I brake at the very least .75 seconds faster than with just my right. This is primarily a automatic driving technique. Anyone else here use it?
Sure sign of a rank amateur. There is nothing faster or safer about it.

Jim T.

Ignorance is lack of knowing; stupidity is false logic
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 10:31 AM   #14
Registered Member

Left foot, right foot, doesn't seem to be a concious decision on my part. When I need to slow or stop at least one of my feet find the brake pedal without my thinking about it.
Interestingly, when I drive a manaul transmission and the left foot is dedicated to the clutch pedal, there has never been that instant of hesitation to also simultaneously and subconciously move the right foot over to the brake in the middle while the left pressed the clutch, yet driving an automatic transmission there has never been a move to slide the right foot over to the middle because the left foot is at work.

Easy solution to the pedal riders: Make the brake switch command the fuel injectors to idle flow. Both of my diesels do this anyway, makes trail brake oversteer when autocrossing more difficult, but keeps both Grampas and E.M.T. drivers honest.

And why is the word "ambidextrous", not "ambisinistrous"?
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 10:43 AM   #15
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
Easy solution to the pedal riders: Make the brake switch command the fuel injectors to idle flow.
Gas engines don't tolerate lean mixtures like diesels do.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:13 AM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Gas engines don't tolerate lean mixtures like diesels do.
Tell THAT to honda with their lean burn technology.
imzjustplayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 11:30 AM   #17
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by ************* View Post
Tell THAT to honda with their lean burn technology.
Ok, I should have added "(except for Honda's 1990s Civic VX lean burn engine and GM's DI V6)".
Old 10-10-2008, 06:08 PM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Ok, I should have added "(except for Honda's 1990s Civic VX lean burn engine and GM's DI V6)".
Honda has other vehicles that have lean burn such as the insight manual hybrid and a few others.
imzjustplayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 09:47 PM   #19
UEDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim T. View Post
Sure sign of a rank amateur. There is nothing faster or safer about it.

Jim T.

Now now, be nice to me! I'm an amateur!

Honestly, dont ride the brakes if there is not need to quick braking I rest left away from the brakes. In highway traffic I hover my left like 1cm above the brakes.

And I have been in many emergency situations before. I slam the brakes with my as I am releasing the accelerator. As your learn LFB releasing the the acc as you brake becomes muscle memory.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:07 AM   #20
Registered Member

are you crazy?????

I'm new also, and don't mean to flame-------buuuuuuttttttttttt

A few weeks ago several drivers attempted your driving style on a PUBLIC highway. In a 55mph construction zone, barrier-ed all up on both sides, no where to go, two lanes, no shoulder. The last vehicle in a row of 6-10 was a TRIPLE TRAILER TRUCK. The first was a SEMI. I guess they were all in a hurry.

Result??

Two DEAD, four injured.

Unless you have some majic spell you can cast on the fools behind you, what you set up in front of you can/will affect you. The two dead were at the FRONT of the car-train. They achieved ultimate economy for the rest of us.
They consume nothing now.

Leave race inspired tactics/style at the track, with equal ability drivers.

Illegal/stupid/dangerous driving in public provides no long term benefit.

Blkzr1 is offline   Reply With Quote