wife needs a newer car - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2007, 05:27 PM   #31
Registered Member

Interesting thread.

I put my wife in new cars. They may not be the best cars. Or the lux models. But there always. New!!! And for me,,, that makes my life better.

This site has some great auto rehabers. I work my *** off.
Don't make the best money in the world and Im anal about maint. But I have no time for keep older cars running. Ive kept cars well past 300k miles in the past. I just don't have time for that BS now days.

Many folks will cry over the fact that we have over time built in $800 a month for car payments. And I'm to the point of trading them in or selling them off now if they need new tires. And Im not joking about that.

I ***** about my wife.. Her ability to make a new car look 5 years old in a matter of months. But I love her so much. She is my rock.

Take care of the ol-lady.

psy

psyshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 05:40 PM   #32
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemysan View Post
It sounds like your on the right track. Take your time and buy the deal. Thats what I've always done too. My conservative side says hold out for under $8k. The malibu sounds good to me also but I'd probly be just as happy with the 3.5 v6 as the 4 cyl.

You could also consider the previous generation impala. I've heard of plenty of people getting 33-34mpg on the highway with the old 3.4v6. There also common as dirt and HUGE inside.

Here's the saturn BTW. Its a real fair price IMHO.

http://nashville.craigslist.org/car/401769252.html
I wouldn't put my worse enemy in GM junk. As a matter fact. My wife wont drive anything GM. As much as I like the idea of Volt. GM will screw it up. As far as Im concerned GM hasn't made a good car or truck since 1969. We bought a brand new Delta 88 Royal once. What a piece of crap. The damn windshield trim blew off the car driving it home from the dealer and the dash lights burnt out for the climate control system before we could even get the junk home.

I would rather have a Korean car than GM junk.....

Old 08-23-2007, 07:11 PM   #33
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyshack View Post
I wouldn't put my worse enemy in GM junk. As a matter fact. My wife wont drive anything GM. As much as I like the idea of Volt. GM will screw it up. As far as Im concerned GM hasn't made a good car or truck since 1969. We bought a brand new Delta 88 Royal once. What a piece of crap. The damn windshield trim blew off the car driving it home from the dealer and the dash lights burnt out for the climate control system before we could even get the junk home.

haha thats oldsmobile
theyve always been junk IMO

id trust a gm car over alot of other things. my family has 3 and have had 0 major problems (2 of em bing 20+ years old the other 12 years old)

i forgot abotu the impallas. that was my drivers ed car and it rode nice and i liked the steering. lotsa room. the one we had had every option under the sun and the power seats pissed me off (slowas hell but i hate power seats in ayhting.) but id get one if i needed a midsized car.
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 03:24 AM   #34
Registered Member

Quote:
But I have no time for keep older cars running.
That's because you're commuting 3 hours a day to earn enough $ to make new car payments
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 04:14 AM   #35
Registered Member

Quote:
I think it's cuz men are chivalrous and want to pamper their darlings, and also try to protect them from the indignity of mechanical issues. the girls play along and feed into this by promoting the "helpless" female image regarding things mechanical, ensuring that they will never be stuck with routine maintenance chores, or responsibility when things break down.
I'll second that.

I think i made a huge mistake in mentioning a ford escape hybrid to my wife. Now she has been calling around to all the ford dealers. She can't find anything on the lot and thinks she wants to order one for $30k+ (that's for a 2wd, what a rip). That is nuts, it is becoming a fight . Once she sets her mind to something she gets real mad if I try to change her choice. Too bad, because it won't happen.

I haven't heard back from the guy with the cheap prius yet. I guess I'll try the phone over e-mails.

I'm going to research Camrys and accords a little, it would be nice to have some resale value .

jwxr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 05:42 AM   #36
Registered Member

I'm liking the looks of the 2003-2005 civic fully variable gear ratio auto. It is labled "lean burn" too.
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calcu...umn=1&id=20705
I'm having a hard time identifying one when browsing autotrader.com. Is there a way to tell from the vin #? They are probably pretty rare though.

I forgot they make accord hybrids too .

Old 08-24-2007, 09:59 AM   #37
Supporting Member

Quote:

I've ridden/driven GM, Ford, and Nissan my whole life. I've repaired and replaced just as many nissan parts as any other make. Cost of ownership has always been cheaper for me on the GM cars. Sunfire was the best car I've ever touched and I don't care that I did have to replace a few extra parts. That impala will be hard to beat. My wifes sunfire ran like a top and only got mediocre maintenance . What about the noisy struts in these 8 year old camrys, sounds like a popcorn popper ridden in them. Nissans that mysteriously don't seem to get decent mileage anymore after 100k. I don't feel like dealing with that either. I also hate HONDA for costing me $2500 bucks when I was flat broke with there crudtastic transmissions. I go around telling everybody not to buy them. So I'm going to drive what will be nice to me. And GM does it. You just need to find one that has full service records, the more anal the better. Like physhack!

https://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...emysan/saturn/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"for best mileage swap in a d15z1"
lovemysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:05 AM   #38
Supporting Member

2003 civic auto gets blasted

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Re...del=Civic#Tran

https://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...emysan/saturn/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"for best mileage swap in a d15z1"
lovemysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:49 AM   #39
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemysan View Post

OOh, thanks for that warning.

Is the honda "fully variable gear ratio" that interests me, just a fancy name for a CVT? Has anyone dealt with one of these? Hopefully they are more reliable than the regular automatics.

I am also tempted by the scion xb's features and FE, have to see what the wife thinks of them.

Old 08-24-2007, 04:42 PM   #40
Registered Member

jwxr7

A friend of mine was thinking about selling her mint Civic HX. I called her today about it. Thinking maybe about buying it of turning somebody on to it. She decided to go a head and ship it on over to Germany. Im kind of glad she will be keeping it. Its like brand new.

GM cars and trucks are the only ones that have ever left me on the side of the road with a useless car or truck to show for it.