Will you buy an SUV now that their value has plummeted? - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2008, 08:31 PM   #21
Registered Member

The one you could get me into is a '92-up Ford Bronco. I had a '92 Eddie Bauer and it was my favourite modern vehicle I've had. Very comfortable and exceptionally tough (trust me, I found out). Plus, equipped with a 302-automatic, mileage was a not-too-unreasonable 13.3 over the time I owned it, which was before I knew jack about driving for economy. I had a high tank of 18.5, too.

Although I'd go for an el-strippo XL this time and add the XLT gauge cluster with tach. I like my el-strippos, plus I like the bench seats better than the EB's buckets (though those buckets may be the most comfortable I've ever sat in...).

'09 Harley Nightster - 48mpg and 1/4 miles in the 12's
jcp123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 11:10 AM   #22
Registered Member

I would never consider an suv. If I truly needed more utility and hauling capability I would just get a pickup truck. A second gen dodge 2500 regular cab 2wd with a five speed and the 12v cummins sounds excellent for the job.

Kohote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 11:17 AM   #23
Registered Member

I'd like a 7.3PSD Excursion. I'm keeping my eye out for one now. I do tow, and that would work as a back up for my bus in a pinch. But they aren't high production items, so most will probably keep them because they can just drive them into the ground...in maybe 350-500k miles.

I understand that the Minneapolis FedEx facility is getting out of their Sprinters too. A friend of mine used to buy their used up I6 Ford vans for his photography business. He bought a Sprinter, and while the mileage was good, it's eating him alive with a tossed crank, failed transmission, limp mode with fuel filters, parts problems, bad service because of a lack of infrastructure for supporting a package that was Freightliner, now Dodge.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:22 AM   #24
Registered Member

Damn that's not so nice to hear about the Sprinters, I was hoping they'd get affordable in a few years for an RV conversion.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:07 PM   #25
Registered Member

Yeah, he was a test for some of us on the racing side. Just over 100k, the crank. No warranty, no support. Oh, and no parts. So, rental vehicles. For his year, there are three different kinds of brake pads, and they don't coincide with a serial number or anything; totally a rotating change of suppliers at different points of the assembly process.

I don't think anyone is rushing to get them anymore. When MB decided to go the Dodge route, it pretty much meant that a possible expeditor vehicle that could be repaired quickly now had to seek service in the city with few regular parts available.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:44 PM   #26
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
I'd pick one up but I don't really need one. Hell, I want the 4 banger tracker gone but I'm gonna see if someone loses control on a frozen street this winter before I try and sell it.

I like to talk deals to hone my skills for car shopping and I got a guy with an 01' Suburban with 65k miles on it down to 4k. It's a steal at that price but it's in the way of his new civic hybrid being parked so he wants it gone. I think he sold it already.