Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Hypermiling
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2008, 05:46 PM   #61
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project84 View Post
I have complete confidence that if I was doing all highway, I'd be seeing 36 to 37 MPG. My best highway mpg to date was 33.xx mpg to Louisville and back w/ windows up, A/C used the entire trip, tires at door jamb spec (26 front 28 rear I think?) one passanger, cruise control used the entire trip, and ambient temp was 90*F both ways. That was 2 years ago when the car had all kinds of bugs and before I knew about hypermiling. My best mixed tank back then was 27 mpg...

Advance to today, my most recent mixed tank was probably 90% city and got 31.xx mpg. That's 4mpg improvement over 2 years ago. Even though it's not realistic, lets just say I get 4mpg improvement on my best highway tank, that would land a solid 37mpg.
If the boldface is true, then I think this could be a large factor in P&G not working for you and your overall frustration with your mpg. I have my tires at 55-60psi which makes a world of difference. Of course my car isn't safe to drive at this pressure, but it sure saves on gas and makes P&G very worthwhile since it extends the glide so far. With your tire pressure, your glide is not lasting long enough to make up for the fuel used pulsing. You are pulsing too frequently and your glide is not lasting long enough for it to pay off.

What does the max PSI on the tires say? I think you would be better off inflating your tires to about 3psi higher than what the max says on the tires. Keep in mind you generally want more pressure in the front than the back when the back is lighter than the front. I wouldn't be surprised if your tires wore out less, were just as safe (possible slight loss of traction in wet--but you should find a wet parking lot and test it out) and your FE would jump dramatically. I don't understand the logic of going by what it says on the door jamb. Does the door jamb know what kind of tires you have on the car?

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 07:27 PM   #62
Registered Member

I upped the tires pressure about a year and a half ago to sidewall, and since joining this site I've taken them from 44 to 48, and for my recent trip, I put in 50psi cold.

I don't think P&G works much for me because on my daily commute, there just isn't much opportunity for it. To work it's mostly slight inclined roads or twisty roads which, although I love feeling the G's I have to respect my car has 140k on the stock shocks/springs.... and the trip home I have LOTS of P&G opportunity, but cannot take advantage of any of it due to traffic.

'96 Chevy C1500 (5.0L 5sp)
'08 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
'01 KTM Duke 2
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 06:25 AM   #63
Registered Member

P&G has worked wonders for me. See my gaslog - first tank with full P&G gave me my first 50mpg tank, and I haven't been below 50 since.

My guess as to why you're not seeing results - first, you have an automatic. Second, it sounds like you have some engine problems. How much that affects it, I'm not sure.

See also Larry's Saturn SL2 manual: http://www.gassavers.org/garage/view/188
His son is driving it now, with these results: http://www.cleanmpg.com/index.php?pa...)&viewcar=1582
palemelanesian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 08:13 AM   #64
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian View Post
See also Larry's Saturn SL2 manual: http://www.gassavers.org/garage/view/188
His son is driving it now, with these results: http://www.cleanmpg.com/index.php?pa...)&viewcar=1582

Wow. 71 mpg. Any notes on the driving conditions (hwy vs. city), techniques used (EOC?), and info on the car (stick or auto)?

Nice results.

I'll be driving to upstate NY this weekend, but with a canoe on the roof. Should be interesting to note the effect on mpg.
dosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 11:26 AM   #65
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosco View Post
Wow. 71 mpg. Any notes on the driving conditions (hwy vs. city), techniques used (EOC?), and info on the car (stick or auto)?

Nice results.

I'll be driving to upstate NY this weekend, but with a canoe on the roof. Should be interesting to note the effect on mpg.
Yah, it does sound very interesting as to what they are doing? And with not much mods to the car? Gotta be like my dad's sl2 manual/2 dr...
SolidLiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 05:55 PM   #66
Registered Member

SL's are all 4 door....? SC's are the coupes.

That person's MPG is INSANE, and as you can see, he's got a lot of work done to it.

I'm at a total investment w/ my car of around $1500, and that's after purchasing for $500 and I'd guess all my repairs to be near $1,000 so far, including tires.

It's nice to see stuff like that though, gives you a new appreciation for the car and what it's actually capable of in different settings.
'01 KTM Duke 2
Old 07-14-2008, 08:55 AM   #67
Registered Member

1. It's a manual
2. he has lightweight rims on it
3. scangauge
4. IDEAL location. CleanMPG held this competition at his house.
5. extensive use of EVERY technique that's documented.
6. some extra mojo-factor. I'm doing my best, driving very much the same way, and I can't touch him.
palemelanesian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 05:12 PM   #68
Registered Member

bump....

Finally filled up the tank from the trip home from Cleveland to KY w/ another nice mileage figure!

sorry... just had to brag a bit!
'01 KTM Duke 2
Old 07-23-2008, 08:23 AM   #69
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project84 View Post
bump....

Finally filled up the tank from the trip home from Cleveland to KY w/ another nice mileage figure!

sorry... just had to brag a bit!
Nice work man, I'm sure eventually you'll hit a breakthrough where nobody else will keep up.... I have to catch up to you already, with the same freakin car!
SolidLiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 09:00 AM   #70
Site Team

Nice job! Also beating the pants off my '94 SL2, I'm gonna hafta get a WAI system going...

-Bob C.