scanguage or ultragauge? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Hypermiling
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2013, 07:48 PM   #1
Registered Member

scanguage or ultragauge?

Does anyone have any experience with both of these products? I've been doing some pricing and the ultraguage is around $60 where the Scanguage is around $150. Is the scanguage that much better. Are the MPG readouts fairly accurate in both? Thats all I want one for but I'm not so sure I want to spend $150 on one if I can get a similar one for 60. The only difference I see is the ultraguage mounts like a GPS unit and Scanguage is smaller and mounts more descretely somewhere under the dash and is a plus.

Also there is another version of Scanguage out for OBD2 thats $90 bucks in a green package. Does it work the same??

Info is appriciated! I would like to purchase one before my next fill-up and I'm on a quarter tank lol.

krazy Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:13 PM   #2
Registered Member

I have both and I would buy the ultra gauge rather than the scangauge, better value. They both work about the same, the ultragauge has programmable additional gauges if you need them, but I don't need them. I like the screen on the Ultra-Gauge much better, more (6) rather than (4) gauges displayed per screen. Ultra Gauge better deal,

iveyjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:27 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iveyjh View Post
I have both and I would buy the ultra gauge rather than the scangauge, better value. They both work about the same, the ultragauge has programmable additional gauges if you need them, but I don't need them. I like the screen on the Ultra-Gauge much better, more (6) rather than (4) gauges displayed per screen. Ultra Gauge better deal,

Thanks! That is exactly what I wanted to know. The screen does appear to be more visually pleasing on the Ultraguage then the Scanguage and bigger. I'll probably go that rout. However I still may try to find a place to mount it on the dash if I can.

Thanks Again!
krazy Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:54 AM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by iveyjh View Post
the ultragauge has programmable additional gauges
Did you mean the Scangauge? The SG definitely does have programmable additional gauges, the UG did not the last time I looked

I have the SG, which I got back in 2008 or 2009 before the UG came out. I would definitely but the UG instead, now. The SG has quite a few advantages (RJ45 cable with two jacks on the unit facing different directions, pass-through, XGauge, and some functional advantages) but the UG has quite a few advantages too (IIRC the interface is MUCH better, more data available even after you compare to SG's XGauges, etc), and the UG is a fraction of the price. Linear Logic, the company that makes the SG, has been very good to their customers, but I don't think that's enough to overcome that price gap either.

As I remember, the cheaper SG product is kinda lame.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:07 AM   #5
Registered Member

I have both as well. one in each car. I am biased to the scangauge but it is probably because I had it first and played with it for around 2.5 to 3 years before the ultragauge. I will say on price point alone, the ultragauge is a clear winner. the functionality is very similar but some of the finer points are what I like about the scangauge.

the scanguage has a feature where it will tell you the average on a particular driving trip. it automatically resets after the car is off for about 3 minutes or so. the ultragauge has a similar feature but you have to manually reset it. I also like the fact that the buttons are on the front of the scangauge and it has a removable cord. I have a cord routed through my car so that it is relatively aesthetically pleasing but I can still remove it (via a second cord) to check engine codes in other people's vehicles.

honestly if you don't have experience with either and are starting fresh, I would go with the ultragauge because it is a cheaper way to get into having an MPG meter in your car.

side note: the cheaper scangauge with only 1 or 2 displays....I'm really not feeling that one though I have no first hand experience with it.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:14 AM   #6
Site Team / Moderator

Personally, I really like the Scangauge. it may not be as flashy, but the ability to program custom gauges specific to my vehicle is a must for me.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:50 AM   #7
Registered Member

[QUOTE=theholycow;169339]Did you mean the Scangauge? The SG definitely does have programmable additional gauges, the UG did not the last time I looked

Thanks for the correction, I had a brain fart, comes with old age. I meant to say the Scangauge has programmable gauges.
iveyjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:11 AM   #8
Registered Member

The scangaugeE, the cheaper one, only has 2 displays. The place where the other two would be is a graph to help train you in economical driving.

Some forums have a group buy for the scangauge that takes $20 to $30 off the price. Priuschat and ecomodder are 2 I know of. Perhaps it is possible here. A discount to upgrade my firmware would be nice.

As to the scangauge's higher price, it is assembled in the US. As far as I can tell the ultra gauge is all China.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:55 PM   #9
Registered Member

The Scangauge is easier to configure. The ultragauge takes more fiddling to get it like you want it, but has more screen space..
Old 03-02-2013, 02:58 AM   #10
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Interesting. I was under the impression that the UG was much easier to configure, with the SG requiring you to press each button dozens of times to find the data you want...I sure get annoyed pressing the button a million times only to go right past the data I want and have to start over again.