Autozone has LED bulbs - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 09-24-2006, 03:16 PM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Yeah the problem I have is the bulb base in my xB are way different than the old standard base - actually I have a few in red and white that I bought last year. Autozone has had them for a few years but they are coming more popular.

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 04:59 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisntjared
i wont be auto-xing with the ziex tires just daily driving, which is very spirited daily, so cheap and sticky is exactly what i want. in a month my commute will go from 90minutes to 5minutes, so i dont really care about tread life just fun while being safe in less favorable weather conditions. eventually, i hope my wife will let me get r-comps for auto-x....

anyway. i am curious to see a side by side comparison of the leds vs the incandescent bulbs behind the lenses. i know it might be a bit much work but that would be the most interesting. one side with each.

how much brighter do you think it is over stock?
I made a thread with pics of how i converted it on the altima. Search for it. I have no Idea what's it's called.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 06:50 PM   #13
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to FormulaTwo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DracoFelis
If anyone is interested in hosting these photos, please PM me.
Or are you interested in the color/brightness of the units (in which case I should take an external shot with the lights on full)? Or?
If you email the pics to me I can put them on photobucket. or you can set up your own for free. either way formulatwo@earthlink.net

I am just wondering how one single LED works out compared to the 20 or so in the bulb i bought. Luxeon vs multiple leds...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisntjared
anyway. i am curious to see a side by side comparison of the leds vs the incandescent bulbs behind the lenses. i know it might be a bit much work but that would be the most interesting. one side with each.

how much brighter do you think it is over stock?
Def brighter and more red. Which i didnt expect.
I can snap some pics tomorrow. at my GFs tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanGeo
Autozone has had them for a few years but they are coming more popular.
Yeah apparently so. Whenever i went down the bulb isle, there was actually an opened package that someone had stolen the bulbs out of.

FormulaTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 07:44 PM   #14
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaTwo
If you email the pics to me I can put them on photobucket. or you can set up your own for free. either way formulatwo@earthlink.net
It's late right now (I need to work in the morning), and I'll need to get someone in the family to help (for example, someone to step on the break when the break lights are shot). But I should be able to get them to you in a few days. I'll email them from my gmail account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaTwo
I am just wondering how one single LED works out compared to the 20 or so in the bulb i bought. Luxeon vs multiple leds...
It's hard to tell how bright your unit is, without some specs (as LEDs vary a lot, as to how much light they put out). So if you have any Lumen level specs on your unit, it would be helpful (for comparisons). But FWIW before the amber Luxeon units came out, I had a 24 LED amber unit (also from superbrightleds) for my turn signal. It worked, but was a little less bright than the stock (incandescent) bulb.

However, I later upgraded to (single LED) amber Luxeon 1156 modules in the back, and they are noticeably brighter than both the 24 LED units and the stock incandescent bulbs (dispite having only one large LED, vs 24 smaller ones). And it makes sense when you look at the specs, as a stock incandescent 1156/1157 bulb has just over 400 lumens (amount of light from the bulb). While the Luxeon bulb is closer to 200 lumens (and the power level the module drives that LED at), it still has the advantage in "usable light" because: 1) LEDs focus light better. So virtually all the light goes out the front (on the lens), instead of being wasted going in all directions. And 2) Because the light is produced in the right color, almost all the light goes through the lens (vs an incandescent bulb, where you can easily lose 2/3 of your white light to the lens filter, to turn it into colored light).
DracoFelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 12:08 AM   #15
Registered Member

The guy on the right can see his Scangauge really well now.

onegammyleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 01:21 AM   #16
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Hey if you use the "Go Advanced" posting there is an "Attach" option for small photos with hosting photo storage in this site.

A single Luxon LED operates at about 3 volts whereas the multi LED lamps have several 3 volt leds in series so there is a bit of power loss in using the single LED usually dropping more of the 12 volts through a resistor.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 02:35 PM   #17
Registered Member

I had some time to blow and stopped in my local Pepboys. They had all kinds of LED bulbs including some singles that look like they will fit my tails. They also had a "disco" color changing single LED for my dome light and other crazy stuff in the LED section.

https://www.cardomain.com/ride/2452824

GasSavers_Jack is offline   Reply With Quote