Classifying a "Clutchless Manual" Transmission - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: For the Team Challenge, what is a "Clutchless Manual"?
Automatic Transmission 7 50.00%
Manual Transmission 7 50.00%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-18-2007, 05:38 AM   #1
Registered Member

Classifying a "Clutchless Manual" Transmission

So, the crystal ball isn't working well when it comes to predicting the future of the FE Team Challenge

At any rate, that's why we have polls right?

The question is: How to you classify a Sequential Manual Gearbox for purposes of the competition? For those unfamiliar, it's basically a transmission that has an electronic clutch (no pedal) and sometimes an "Automatic" feature.

"Manual" is pretty simple: clutch pedal, gear throw.
"Automatic" is more complex but simple: some have "Manumatic" shift-gates, but it still has an automatic transmission hooked to it, generally with a torque converter.
The "SMG" is what? Here's a few Wikipedia entries that I looked at, but figured I'd pitch it to the group for more info:

Electrohydraulic Manual Transmission

Sequential Manual Gearbox
Semi-Automatic Transmission
(also known as "Clutchless Manual", "Automated Manual", etc.).

Since I'm not an expert on transmissions by any stretch, I've posted the poll for more insight.

If you vote, all I ask is that you have an understanding about how it works, and explain why you voted as such...

Thanks!

The Commish

Old 06-18-2007, 05:41 AM   #2
Registered Member

Where's the poll?

I think manual because the computer is acting as the clutch and rev matching and it doesnt operate like an auto in any other sense. FE should be closer to an equivalent manual than having the losses associated with an auto.

bbgobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 05:44 AM   #3
Registered Member

delay

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbgobie View Post
Where's the poll?

I think manual because the computer is acting as the clutch and rev matching and it doesnt operate like an auto in any other sense. FE should be closer to an equivalent manual than having the losses associated with an auto.
Hmm, it looks like the poll posts shortly after the "explanation post"...
Old 06-18-2007, 08:59 AM   #4
Registered Member

What is automatic?

If the car in question has no clutch pedal and has a fully automatic mode featuring fully automated upshifts and downshifts, how much more automatic can it be? Surely not my idea of a conventional manual transmission.

I vote automatic.
CO ZX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 09:06 AM   #5
Supporting Member

RH77 -

I vote automatic because I think it is only providing human decision making/control over the gear being used at speed "X". Since the driver doesn't do the "work" of shifting gears, the automatic components that add load to the engine still have to be there, right?

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 09:11 AM   #6
Registered Member

I voted Automatic. My reasoning is that the manual mode is really nothing more than an automatic, where, in theory, the system allows the driver to over ride the computer or some other system which would control the shifting. I believe that they generally have a torque converter, for engaging and effectively they are a dressed up Automatic, masquarading as a Manual. I also agree that if they have a full automatic mode, they ought to be considered an Automatic.
Gary Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 09:24 AM   #7
Registered Member

If it has a bunch of whirly fluid and a torque converter, it's an automatic. If it is a computer controlled manual trans, it is a manual.

Just my opinion for purposes of the FE Team Challenge.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:39 AM   #8
Registered Member

To me the acid test is can the driver shift gears when he wants to. If has control when it shifts then it a manual whether it has a clutch or not. Maybe a smart driver should chime in and tell us exactly how it works.

It it has a manual and a auto mode then the driver would have to use only the auto mode to be concidered an automatic, which I guess would be on the honor system.

Way I understand the system I say manual.
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 10:25 AM   #9
kps
Registered Member

For mileage purposes, I'd say the question is whether you can shift it into and out of neutral (or de-clutch it) easily and safely.
kps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 11:05 AM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
If it has a bunch of whirly fluid and a torque converter, it's an automatic. If it is a computer controlled manual trans, it is a manual.

Just my opinion for purposes of the FE Team Challenge.
DING DING DING!

Just because it shifts gears for you doesnt mean it should be classified as an Auto.

The question is about the new generation of transmissions that have a clutch and are basically a manual transmision save the computer rev matches so the driver does not have to do anything. Most of these sytems will let you choose when to shift as well.

We are not talking about the same systems were its a full auto with a "manu shift" feature...

bbgobie is offline   Reply With Quote