Did some weight reduction just now - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2006, 04:29 PM   #1
*shrug*

Did some weight reduction just now

This is what I took out:

It covers the ecu in my car, weighs 4 pounds, completely unnecessary. I figure it 100 pounds = 2% mpg improvement, I just made a .08% improvement in fuel economy. It's the little things that count. As I eliminate stuff I'll post it up here,

EDIT: Took the cargo cover out too:

That's 10 pounds there. So now I'm up to .28% increase in fuel economy.

I also took out a 20 pound lead acid battery I had in there for no reason, but that doesn't count.

There ya go, another 12 pounds gone, so that brings me up to 26.

Hey, there ya go, looky there, that's another 4 pounds. .5 each for the rear speaker covers (there's two of them). So that gives me like .67% increase in MPG!

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 04:37 PM   #2
Driving on E

HAHA

Last year I did some weight reduction too.

I shaved 25lbs off of my car by exercising, eating healthy, not eating fast food, and not drinking soda.

so that means I just improved my fuel economy by .5% :-P

Oddly the best MPG i've ever gotten was with two people in the car (wife and myself) and a trunk load of luggage. That was my 46mpg trip.

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 05:36 PM   #3
Registered Member

Re: HAHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion
Last year I did some weight reduction too.

I shaved 25lbs off of my car by exercising, eating healthy, not eating fast food, and not drinking soda.

so that means I just improved my fuel economy by .5% :-P

Oddly the best MPG i've ever gotten was with two people in the car (wife and myself) and a trunk load of luggage. That was my 46mpg trip.
I think it's psychological. People drive more conservatively with people in the car, especially the wife (at least I do) -- except for those who want to "show off" and drive aggressively. Less-snappy acceleration from start = better eco. Weight reduction is finicky. I could stand to lose 50 lbs., but when that happens (hopefully this summer), the weather will permit better mileage. I always took the spare tire and jack out of the car for autocross, but when I left it in once, I got the best lap times -- maybe it evened-out the front/rear weight ratio. Anyways, it would take some serious weight to get appreciable gains. The engine burns fuel as it does. I think 500 lbs for a 4-cyl. car is reasonable for a goal in weight reduction. That would include a driver, spare, power equipment (windows, brakes, steering, A/C), extra seating, etc. I think the focus should shift on engine management and driving style.

RH77
Old 01-12-2006, 06:04 PM   #4
Registered Member

some of the teamswift folks

some of the teamswift folks are fanatical about weight reduction. they're all about power/weight. mostly for autocross, etc.

but they take a 1650 lb swift/metro and strip 200 lbs from it.

even the 14 lbs of rubberized soundproofing applied to the floors.

table of removable swift items & their weight (scroll down for the table)

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 06:07 PM   #5
Registered Member

I drive with out any carpet

I drive with out any carpet in my trunk. Thats good for 10 pounds. The spare tire + jack (25 pounds) and rear seat (20 pounds) are the easiest way to cut weight in most cars.

In my dads 96 caravan the total weight for both bench seats was 195 pounds!

I love weight reduction. But it is hard to do without making your car look like crap.

Distance traveled by bicycle in 2007= 1,830ish miles
Average commute speed=25mph (yes, that's in a car)
kickflipjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 06:25 PM   #6
Registered Member

http://www.evilplastic.com/p92-wgt1.htm

^
I have looked at this a lot to see what weight can be trimmed.

Hear is what i have done:
Carpet in the trunk- 10
Firewall isulation- 5
Tar in trunk- 5
AC system- 30 (I still need to take out compressor)
headliner (wasn't in car when i got it) - 4
sunroof (broke when i got the car)- 14
plastic air dam pieces- 7
different muffler/intake saved-6
plastic peices- 4
side mirror-3

Total saved- 88 pounds (i never totaled it up before, thats more then i thought)

Old 01-12-2006, 06:34 PM   #7
Registered Member

Re: I drive with out any carpet

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickflipjr
I drive with out any carpet in my trunk. Thats good for 10 pounds. The spare tire + jack (25 pounds) and rear seat (20 pounds) are the easiest way to cut weight in most cars.

I love weight reduction. But it is hard to do without making your car look like crap.
The one time I took the spare tire out, I had a flat. Honestly -- I rotated the tires on my Civic and left the spare and jack out when I ran to the store. Luckily I had my cell phone and someone brought me my spare/jack. And If I take the rear seat out, I'll have to take 2 people home who "had too much to drink". IMHO, weight reduction should be relegated to unsprung weight -- lighter wheels and tires (where the biggest effect is realized).

I'm not arguing against it, but I'm asking if the decision to remove components is within the scope of the goal you're trying to accomplish. If it's just you and the car, and you're certain of your decisions (and have AAA), then by all means have at it -- but think it through...

RH77
Old 01-12-2006, 06:35 PM   #8
Registered Member

Re: I drive with out any carpet

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickflipjr

The one time I took the spare tire out, I had a flat. Honestly -- I rotated the tires on my Civic and left the spare and jack out when I ran to the store. Luckily I had my cell phone and someone brought me my spare/jack. And If I take the rear seat out, I'll have to take 2 people home who "had too much to drink". IMHO, weight reduction should be relegated to unsprung weight -- lighter wheels and tires (where the biggest effect is realized).

I'm not arguing against it, but I'm asking if the decision to remove components is within the scope of the goal you're trying to accomplish. If it's just you and the car, and you're certain of your decisions (and have AAA), then by all means have at it -- but think it through...

RH77
Old 01-12-2006, 06:44 PM   #9
Registered Member

I have my spare tire in and

I have my spare tire in and rear seat.

I was going to put a warning but forgot.

Old 01-13-2006, 12:34 AM   #10
Registered Member

My metabolism is fast, I can

My metabolism is fast, I can eat more than a fat man and still keep my weight. I'm at 118lbs and I have a six pack.

And people wander why my altima averages out 30mpg, ahahaha.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote