FAS'ing and engine temps - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2006, 11:26 AM   #21
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlarry
I have another suggestion for the abbreviation. How about Engine Off Coasting?
Obviously that makes much more sense. COD was my lame attempt at a joke. Even though it could be extended to CODFISH - Coast On Demand Forced Ignition SHutoff...might be a good name for a marketable engine-kill switch.

On a more serious note I just returned from a lunchtime drive and definitely proved that I just need to be more aggressive with my EOC. I was able to coast much more often, though I have to admit I was worried about the slow speeds and time and had to accelerate much sooner than I would like to accomodate traffic.

Old 06-08-2006, 11:36 AM   #22
FE nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95metro
Obviously that makes much more sense. COD was my lame attempt at a joke. Even though it could be extended to CODFISH - Coast On Demand Forced Ignition SHutoff...might be a good name for a marketable engine-kill switch.
I think I like yours better. A couple of weeks ago, I was coming home from PA from getting my cam timing re-adjusted and I used my kill switch on a 3 mile downhill grade of about 8%. I noticed that the temperature guage dropped noticeably during that segment.
My kill switch is a relay that was spliced into the fuel injector wiring. When I activate the relay, it opens the contacts and the engine dies instantly. Luckily my engine will re-start without having to key-off first.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 11:43 AM   #23
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG
Neat map, Phil.
thank you, i'm just trying to inspire those that don't have the courage yet. It took me a lot of "getting over" to FAS as much as say I did a month ago.

Experience counts.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:54 AM   #24
Registered Member

Oooo, that's a good one Metro95. CODFISH it is! I wasn't sure if it was a continuation of the Canuck theme of the acronyms or not.

Have you got one for engine-on coasting?
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 12:53 PM   #25
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG
Oooo, that's a good one Metro95. CODFISH it is! I wasn't sure if it was a continuation of the Canuck theme of the acronyms or not.

Have you got one for engine-on coasting?
You liked that one, huh? Well, I was born in NFLD and my entire family tree is from there...thankfully we escaped mostly accent-free. So, yes, it was a continuation of the Canuck theme.

At the moment I'm lost on a Canuck related engine-on acronym, but I'll come up with something...
Old 06-08-2006, 03:09 PM   #26
Registered Member

On my way to work, I start the ICE and let run it for 5 sec to circulate the oil before engaging the clutch. After 3 sec of power to clear my driveway, I FAS and coast for 3/4 mi, restart and climb a 300 feet high hill (3/4 mi), FAS down the other side (1/2 mi), ICE on for 1/4 mi, FAS for 1/2 mi, ICE on for the next 6 miles (1300 foot climb) and so on. As far as power brake issues, I find that I have 2-1/2 to 3 pumps of the brake petal before I lose the power assist and then it only takes a half second pop and release of the clutch (ignition off) to work the pistons enough to recharge the vacuum. The vacuum pressure holds steady even after the 4 mile FAS that I do on my way home from work.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:13 PM   #27
Registered Member

Just a question to all you FASers/CODFISHerman - what kind of speeds are you coasting at and what do you do about traffic?
Old 06-08-2006, 03:56 PM   #28
Registered Member

I was thinking about the FAS misnomer today also. CODFISH is nice but long. I like EOC.

My CODFISH speeds range from 60 down to 30 normally but if I am approaching a stop, the speeds are obviously lower. I find that in traffic, as long as I leave a reasonable buffer in fromt of me, no one would notice my EOC./CODFISHing.

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 04:04 PM   #29
Registered Member

I think CODFISH is more of a running gag for the day - no one has made it official yet.

Are you talking mph for speeds or km/h?

As for traffic, I'm more concerned with who/what is behind me than what's ahead...how do you deal with that?
Old 06-08-2006, 04:18 PM   #30
Registered Member

I quote speeds in MPH but FE and distance in km/L and km. That is just because of the SuperMID.

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote