Gas prices up - Page 5 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 09-15-2008, 07:44 AM   #41
Site Team / Moderator

I notice that exit 3 and exit 29 trade off as the cheapest gas in southern Georgia along I-95. Dad likes exit 3 because the Petro has a Church's fried Chicken in it, and there's no Church's near his home. I like exit 29 because the Flying J's are always so nice and clean, and I have a flying J discount card. I usually get 1 or 2 cents a gallon off of their posted prices. On my next trip though I may not stop at the Flying J's because I suspect that Flying J only sells E10. On my next trip I am going to try and do it on "E Zero" if I can find it.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:01 AM   #42
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
Gas prices in Houston went up pretty good over the weekend! First time I'd seen gasoline more expensive than diesel in a long time. $4.94 for regular gas and $4.19 for diesel.

Good stuff.

Old 09-15-2008, 03:23 PM   #43
Registered Member

Here in Northern KY very near CVG airport, gas was 3.99 Saturday, $4.15 Sunday, and $4.29 today.

BS.
'96 Chevy C1500 (5.0L 5sp)
'08 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
'01 KTM Duke 2
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 05:06 PM   #44
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itjstagame View Post
When I drove by Exit 10 it was at $3.69, I wasn't there yesterday but I suspect it was $3.59 or lower because everything else in CP was just above this yesterday.

Where in Upstate are you?
You are probably not far from where I am then. I am in Ballston Spa. The cheapest ones here are at the corner of Rt50 and 67. Not cheap enough to go too far out of your way though. (I say cheap biting my tongue, because fuel is not cheap)
Old 09-15-2008, 05:14 PM   #45
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjones96 View Post
Gas prices in Houston went up pretty good over the weekend! First time I'd seen gasoline more expensive than diesel in a long time. $4.94 for regular gas and $4.19 for diesel.

Good stuff.
holy cow. Ours in Kansas went up. Was 3.37 on Friday, 3.59 today. Shoulda filled up then instead of today. doh.
KU40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 07:58 AM   #46
Registered Member

A Charlotte, NC news station reported last night that several of the higher priced stations were alerted by the state yesterday that they were being investigated by the state for price gouging and were going to be required to show receipts of their gas purchases from the supplier, showing what they had to pay for the gas and how much was purchased and the supplier was going to have to do the same and on up the line so they can find out who the culprit is that's causing the tremendous price hikes. My dad lives in KY and he said the state was also doing an investigation on price gouging there. As of Sunday I was told there was still one station in my immediate area (within 10 miles) that was $3.69.9 and everywhere else I have seen is at $4.29. How is it that one station can sell its gas $.60 a gallon cheaper than everyone else if there's no price gouging going on?
#47 on my way to #1
Ford Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:14 AM   #47
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project84 View Post
Here in Northern KY very near CVG airport, gas was 3.99 Saturday, $4.15 Sunday, and $4.29 today.

BS.
Yep, that's crazy, hopefully you're doing alright up there and still have power... I'm seeing the same around Louisville. 87 was at or below $3.99 on Friday, but with Ike approaching Texas they started raising the prices that afternoon. I was seeing $4.15-$4.21 on Saturday. Then the remnants of Ike hit and did some serious damage to the area, knocking out power to the majority of the area and many are still without power and will be so for a week or more. I saw $4.35 yesterday, and one report on the news showed a sign showing $4.99.

With everyone in the dark, gas has suddenly become a precious resource. Those stations that do have power either have bone dry tanks or have some seriously long lines. The news shows people running out of gas waiting in line, and some are even getting into fights over it. It's chaos. I've never seen anything like this before. Glad I topped off before this mess.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:34 AM   #48
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Man View Post
A Charlotte, NC news station reported last night that several of the higher priced stations were alerted by the state yesterday that they were being investigated by the state for price gouging and were going to be required to show receipts of their gas purchases from the supplier, showing what they had to pay for the gas and how much was purchased and the supplier was going to have to do the same and on up the line so they can find out who the culprit is that's causing the tremendous price hikes. My dad lives in KY and he said the state was also doing an investigation on price gouging there. As of Sunday I was told there was still one station in my immediate area (within 10 miles) that was $3.69.9 and everywhere else I have seen is at $4.29. How is it that one station can sell its gas $.60 a gallon cheaper than everyone else if there's no price gouging going on?
Interesting. Certainly sounds like gouging might be the case there. As it turns out, I think speculation was the only cause for the hike I mentioned here earlier. It was 3.59 on Monday, then dropped to 3.47 yesterday and is 3.37 today, even lower than before the hurricane hit. That has to be proof that it was a purely speculatory price hike.
KU40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 10:00 AM   #49
Registered Member

The news last night reported that several stations in the area had been supenoed to show why there prices increased so much so fast. I think all of the publicity has gotten several of the stations thinking, because I was out last night and noticed that several of the higher stations had dropped their prices $.30 a gallon even though some stations are still not getting deliveries as regular as they would like. Personally I hope they burn their greedy @$$e$.
#47 on my way to #1
Ford Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 10:18 AM   #50
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasUser View Post
You are probably not far from where I am then. I am in Ballston Spa. The cheapest ones here are at the corner of Rt50 and 67. Not cheap enough to go too far out of your way though. (I say cheap biting my tongue, because fuel is not cheap)
Yup I live in Troy and work in CP and during the summer regularly go to Saratoga or Northville. Over the winter the best I found was Exit 10, but he's been getting a lot of customers lately and doesn't seem that cheap any more. Have you seen albanygasprices.com it's a good one. Right now easiest for me is just off of Exit 9 there's a USA that's always cheap. I just got some there at $3.63 and last I knew (about 1 week ago) it was $3.59 so I'd say we're definately not seeing any increase. I hope the courts solve your problem down there it's ludacris.

But then again I remember when Katrina hit our gas prices went up .30-.50-1.00 very quickly and talking to people in the south they were really confused because they didn't go up at all. And supposedly same thing, fuel shortage caused by Katrina damage but then why would FL, GA and the carolinas not be affected at all.

I fully understand the need to have a reserve capital on hand in case prices suddenly shoot up for crude and for a while the price of crude was appropriately inflated to justify their crap, but seriously I haven't seen any international news of supply really being down in the last 3+ years and meanwhile Mobil has increased their profitability about 100 fold to the tune of over 3 billion/year or something. Clearly they don't need all that in case gas crude goes up and they're just increasing profit margin because they can.

itjstagame is offline   Reply With Quote