Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2007, 03:51 PM   #161
Registered Member

Turned in a tank for 48.09 mpg today.

psy

psyshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 03:12 PM   #162
Registered Member

Hey all, thought I'd post up my first recorded tank. I have always been within 1/2 mpg of 17mpg before with my commute. Using pretty mild techniques I was able to bump that to 20.6 - just less gas pedal when accelerating and as much engine on coasting as I can get away with. It's a 97 4wd 4runner, so I'll never challenge most if any of you, but at least it makes the commute more interesting. I still have some room to improve, every time I hit the brakes I curse myself for not coasting sooner.

Oh, my wife and I commute together, and almost always take her xB, but it's been raining terribly all week so the scion stayed in the garage.

tulsa_97sr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 03:17 PM   #163
Registered Member

Hey, that's nearly 18% improvement over 17.5 mpg. Nothing to sneeze at. Nice work.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 07:51 PM   #164
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedgeo View Post
It was just last Sunday that I got the mirrors off and the rear skirts plus the front ring skirts. The mirrors and rear skirts I would expect some improvement from. The front rings I won't say. If I make them easily removable I might do some proper testing. I like them well enough I am thinking about drilling holes in the plastic fenders and just screwing the skirts on. Not sure what it would do to the value of the car but no one will pay me what I think my cars are worth anyway so what the heck.

After all the BS I will say that by both the fuel gauge and scangauge at 300 miles I am easily ahead of last tanks mileage. I have had a little less wind this tank but maybe those skirts are doing something.

usedgeo

Well I have a deep cycle battery in the trunk now and have pulled the belt off the alternator. Neutral at 2200 RPM there might be a .1 liter difference on a base of 2.1 liter per hour, but I am not sure. I will look at the fuel consumption tomorrow with a cold start and see how it goes on the way to work. My first impression is that more work on the skirts would pay back a lot quicker than pulling the alternator belt. I'll give it a couple days to see how things shake out.

Things fell apart on the last half of this tank but I will wait and fill before saying too much. I think a 43 mpg fill will fall off my 90 day average soon and my next fill should better that by at least 10 mpg. That will be the last easy gains I get on my 90 day average. I might jump a spot on the list , well maybe.

usedgeo
Old 05-10-2007, 06:00 PM   #165
Registered Member

73.8mpg (435.6 miles/ 5.9 gal) I got worse mileage than I could have since I spent part of this tank experimenting with various driving techniques (pulse and glide, driving with load, different accel rates) at various speed ranges. One thing that I am finding is that I get better mileage at 50 to 65mph than I do at 35 to 45mph. I did a driving with load experiment on a flat stretch of highway (US25 between Princeton, SC and Ware Place, SC) where I set the accelerator for a SuperMID fuel consumption rate of 35km/l (82mpg) and held this for the entire stretch. I started out at 45mph, but by the time I was 6 miles down the road I was cruising along at 65mph@82mpg and was having to back off a little (to 40km/l) on the slight downhills to keep from excessively exceeding the speed limit. Air temp was in the low 80's F. Actually the mileage was a little better than indicated since I'm still dialing in MID's fuel consumption (it showed 7 gal of fuel used rather than the 5.9 gal I actually pumped).
Old 05-10-2007, 06:22 PM   #166
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
I got 39.2 the other day driving from Orlando to Ft. Lauderdale (200 miles). Thanks to that tropical storm thinger out there -- I had a rather nice tail wind (which also brought in tons of "love bugs" and smoke). Oh, the cardboard was on for about 60 miles (not doing much due to rain). I tailed behind a rather slow semitruck for most of the trip

Very close to my 40mpg goal - but that's not a repeatable result (due to tail wind et. al.).

Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 07:39 PM   #167
Registered Member

Well, it isn't the best, but this is my first week or so of driving better, and I went from my fairly normal baseline of 25 mpg up to 29 mpg. I couldn't even wait to go thru a full tank. I just put 8.2 gallons in to fill it up, and went 238.5 miles. Only about 2/3rds was with me driving "nicely". I should be in the low 30's next time. At this rate, with my larger than normal for the car gas tank I should be able to get nearly 450 miles out of a full tank. usual for me is like 380-400 or so.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:55 AM   #168
Registered Member

Experimenting with my new «lever trottle» , I got 2,42li/100 ( 97mpg US), not bad compare to my life avg of 3,55li/100 ( 66mpg). on 140 miles return trip with light wind and hot weather.
GasSavers_Antoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 05:13 AM   #169
Registered Member

It gets even better. Once I compensated for the SuperMID fuel error (it said 7.0gal, the car actually used 5.9gal), that 35km/l changed to 41.5km/l which is 97.7mpg and this was at speeds of 60 to 65mph at 82F air temps. I couldn't access this very narrow highspeed/fuel efficient mode on my car without the MID. Its kind of a snowballing effect. The faster I go, the better the mileage, so I have to give it more gas to drop the mpg's to the set point, and this keeps on building until I reach the fastest speed I can go at that mpg setpoint. This only works on flat roads, I get much of a hill and I drop out of this mode. The next step is to see what speed I can reach at a lower mpg setpoint. Once we get into true summer weather with its high density altitudes and temps, 100+mpg at 65mph should be easily attainable.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:57 AM   #170
Registered Member

Insane. Nice work.