NEW Official Thread for posting daily FE updates - Page 8 - Fuelly Forums

Android Users - Coming Soon! - Migrating from aCar 4.8 to 5.0

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-03-2007, 04:44 PM   #71
Registered Member
 
basjoos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 392
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
basjoos -



Yes, but your VX + Aero mods means that your 60 MPH is like my 40 MPH in terms of MPG, since "nary a leaf" is moved by your passing .

CarloSW2
That's the reason I got 72mpg on my latest tank dispite 2/3 of it driven on the interstates at interstate speeds.
__________________

__________________
]
aerocivic.com
basjoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 04:46 PM   #72
Registered Member
 
MetroMPG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,223
Country: United States
I would do the same, basjoos. If I could theoretically eke another 10% FE through aero mods, I'd probably drive faster and split the difference - for a net gain in speed and fuel economy.
__________________

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 08:12 AM   #73
Semi-retired OPEC Buster
 
BeeUU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 200
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by basjoos View Post
That's the reason I got 72mpg on my latest tank dispite 2/3 of it driven on the interstates at interstate speeds.
That is awesome basjoos, an inspiration for all of us aero junkies.

I added a small lip spoiler to the truck lid last week. Per data I have read this should be good for -0.01-0.02 Cd. With all changes I think I am now under 0.30 Cd.
__________________
B W


BeeUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 09:34 AM   #74
Registered Member
 
Peakster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 467
Country: United States
Slept in today, so I drove to school with WOT, 130+km/h on the TC highway & no FAS'ing. 30.5mpg for the 3 mile trip which honesty isn't *that* bad for inefficient high-speed driving and frosty temperatures. The norms at this time of year is supposed to be +10*C, but it's been -5*C lately.
Peakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 05:13 PM   #75
Registered Member
 
MetroMPG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,223
Country: United States
A trip into the Big Box district for some expanding foam for an aero shaping idea...

92.3 mpg (US) round trip; 5 mi.; cold, windy, rainy; 13 mph avg (stupid traffic lights not cooperating - I've had the worst timing / luck with lights lately)

I did something tonight I've never done before: strong head wind cut short a glide approaching a stop sign & turn at the crest of a small hill. I came up about 3 car lengths short. Properly executed, I normally get to coast another half a block after stopping at the sign, so I didn't want to re-start just to move 3 car lengths.

So I opened the door, stepped out, and pushed . (No other cars around)
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 05:20 PM   #76
Registered Member
 
zpiloto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,225
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
A trip into the Big Box district for some expanding foam for an aero shaping idea...

92.3 mpg (US) round trip; 5 mi.; cold, windy, rainy; 13 mph avg (stupid traffic lights not cooperating - I've had the worst timing / luck with lights lately)

I did something tonight I've never done before: strong head wind cut short a glide approaching a stop sign & turn at the crest of a small hill. I came up about 3 car lengths short. Properly executed, I normally get to coast another half a block after stopping at the sign, so I didn't want to re-start just to move 3 car lengths.

So I opened the door, stepped out, and pushed . (No other cars around)
Pays to have a light car You da man. Need to add that to the list of- you know you're a hypermiler when?
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 08:19 PM   #77
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 303
Country: United States
Todays runs and scangauge accruacy.

"Today" I had to run an errand at lunch so I ran 60.9 miles total at 59.7 mpg. I think speed average is 33 mph. On the 15 mile leg home I started with a slightly warm engine, a tailbreeze, warm weather and slight downhill. I had 95 mpg at the best spot on the way home. I finished up the homeward leg at 79 mpg after traffic, lights, and some small hills. The tank is showing 58 mpg at 397 miles but I am almost certain that true heated intake air is messing with the scangage calibration just the same as lying to it. I think this is a glitch with respect to Saturns.

I saw over 180 IAT for a little bit today. I pulled another piece out of the grill block as the water peaked at 224 F. I am really just doing about 50 mpg which is better than I dared hoped I would do when I bought this Saturn.

Maybe it's not as refined as a Honda but for price and value I think they are really hard to beat.

Ernie
__________________
usedgeo
usedgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 12:52 PM   #78
Registered Member
 
MetroMPG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,223
Country: United States
Picked up a welder. 82.5 mpg (US) r.t.; 10 mi; 16 mph avg; 4x mph max., cold, windy, snowy.

This drive was what I think most people would call "normal" traffic conditions (while still trying to route-optimise as much as possible).

As a result, I guess I'm not used to it - I usually try to pick my travel times to avoid the traffic rush. This trip I made a bunch of blunders that forced me onto the brakes much more often & harder than usual. It's no good turning gasoline into brake dust!
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 08:33 PM   #79
Registered Member
 
Mike T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 321
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeUU View Post
With all changes I think I am now under 0.30 Cd.
As you probably know, the 405 in US/CDN trim had a Cd of 0.32. In Europe, a version was offered with 0.29 Cd, which included, among other things, wind deflectors ahead of the front wheels, a rear undertray (especially important on a 405, as the area under the trunk is a wind trap deluxe), a spare wheel undertray, and skinny tires (175/70-14).

There was also a "7 CV" fiscally rated 405 with 1905 cc engine, which had a very long final drive ratio. That too knocked several tenths off the L/100 km!

The European front bumpers are probably important in the Cd, and perhaps the rear too.

The best option would probably be to fit the European Mi16 bumpers. I know a guy in Bothell WA who has a set! I saw them last Sunday, when I was buying some 405 parts from him (new LR rear brake caliper and a few other bits).
__________________
2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200
2006 smart fortwo BRABUS Canada 1 cdi cabriolet
2005 smart fortwo cdi pulse cabriolet
1966 Peugeot 404 Coupe Injection
Mike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 10:18 PM   #80
Semi-retired OPEC Buster
 
BeeUU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 200
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
As you probably know, the 405 in US/CDN trim had a Cd of 0.32. In Europe, a version was offered with 0.29 Cd, which included, among other things, wind deflectors ahead of the front wheels, a rear undertray (especially important on a 405, as the area under the trunk is a wind trap deluxe), a spare wheel undertray, and skinny tires (175/70-14).
Right now I have the nose completely taped shut and hood sealed -7%, plus the little lip on back -0.01 and spring sag from age -(?) I figured I am slightly under 0.30. I was planning on the belly pans and wind deflectors. Did you notice if the european version was minus the passenger mirror? I figured that I could order up the trim pieces to make it look good. The wife already thinks I am a nut case with duct tape.

Plus if the stock under-parts are available, the time savings would be heaven right now!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
The European front bumpers are probably important in the Cd, and perhaps the rear too.

The best option would probably be to fit the European Mi16 bumpers. I know a guy in Bothell WA who has a set! I saw them last Sunday, when I was buying some 405 parts from him (new LR rear brake caliper and a few other bits).
I figured the 0.32 was a bit optimistic so I started with 0.33, the north american bumpers are quite draggy compared to the trimmer EU versions, particularly at the rear wheel well.

PM me his name if you dont mind, I have to talk with this guy, I was trying to get ahold of TJ for a set of rims for my nearly ordered 175/70s summer FE specials, but had no luck. Plus I need some other things as well, if the old gold car is going to get to 40mpg it needs a few fixes.

Thanks Mike
__________________

__________________
B W


BeeUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wrong mobile UI for Windows Phone 7.5 kfarnung Fuelly Web Support and Community News 1 07-15-2012 03:56 AM
Partial Fuel Up - Calc Improvement suggestion RadarKen Fuelly Web Support and Community News 1 11-23-2011 08:17 AM
google+ integration? xchrislee Fuelly Web Support and Community News 3 07-15-2011 02:55 AM
Old article...water injection...Condensator.... ZugyNA General Fuel Topics 2 07-23-2006 11:03 AM
State of the Union address touches on "oil addiction." Matt Timion General Discussion (Off-Topic) 31 02-06-2006 04:38 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.