Official Thread for posting daily FE updates - Page 123 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 11-18-2006, 08:36 PM   #1221
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG
That big descent at 9-12.5 mi. looks like an awesome coasting opportunity. Way better than the other route (provided the lights are absent, or you can time them.)
Yeah I can coast around 3 miles. as long as i am not getting harassed by drivers from behind.

Distance traveled by bicycle in 2007= 1,830ish miles
Average commute speed=25mph (yes, that's in a car)
kickflipjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 03:08 AM   #1222
REDUCE is the first R

Just shy of 90 mpg US on a 100+ mile round trip tonight... as per pen and paper, same station, same pump.

Scanguage certainly helped - but actually showed a higher number for the tank - despite my now seemingly dialed in adjustment. Could it be the Scanguage is a bit wonky once it hits 100mpg? Not sure, but will investigate further. Some segments were showing between 110 and 120 mpg as a current trip average. No, I haven't set the fillup adjustment up so the mpg show as imperial! I normally use LHK, but MPG was more enticing tonight.

Temp tonight was 7c to 8c. Intake temp as low as 13c, and not more than 19 or 20c. Elevation changes minimal... the lowest about 20 feet, the highest 135 feet...

All cruise control, various speeds - trying things out, using Scanguage as reference...

I have several mods planned for the smart, which I hope will let me get close to 75-80 mpg US day in and day out in regular driving, and closer to 100 mpg US on straight hwy trips.

2005 smart cdi, 799 cc 3-cyl common rail turbo diesel
smartzuuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 05:56 AM   #1223
Registered Member

Nice work, smartzuuk!

I'd be curious to know your SG reported average speed on those return trips too, if you've got it.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 08:13 AM   #1224
Registered Member

Yesterday I changed the oil in the Civic to 0w-20 M1 and the tranny oil to 5w-20 M1. Used a PureOne oil filter. Checked the air filter. Installed a new WAI hose. Rotated the tires and set the pressure to 50 psi. Checked the brake drag with a good look at the other suspension bits and pieces. Basically went thru the car from bumper to bumper.

Decided to make a test loop run in the car. Best I could muster was 60 mpg by the SG with no wind and 50F temp. The very best Ive done on this loop is 70 mpg in the middle of summer. With a 27 mph average. Yesterdays speed average was 35 mph.

I spent most of last night thinking about grill blocks for the Civic. And do them with class and taste. I came up with several idea's. None of which are easy at all but will produce good looking parts.

But even with all that work I don't see more than possibly 2 mpg,, if that.

I'm amazed at CO ZX2's results. No I'm stunned! Absolutely stunned! Knowing what I know of the ZX2. CO has to be one hell of a driver! Wayne better watch out!!!! LOLOLOLOL

psy
psyshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 08:44 AM   #1225
REDUCE is the first R

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG
Nice work, smartzuuk!

I'd be curious to know your SG reported average speed on those return trips too, if you've got it.
Let's just say... low.... you know that sign that says 'Vehicles incapable of maintaining a minimum speed of 60kmh....'

Oh, BTW, just wait until the 35 Scanguage orders at Club smart car get filled. (I'm expecting delivery this week.) For Example...

Old 11-19-2006, 11:56 PM   #1226
Supporting Member

CO ZX2-

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO ZX2
103 MPG segment 11/16/06.

Since I may never see a 100 MPG round-trip, I decided to post what I did yesterday. Pretty proud of this in my ZX2, EPA rated 25-33 MPG.

103 MPG for 32 miles. This was on a rural road near my home. Light traffic. Up and down terrain. Managed to hold a reasonable highway speed. EOC and P&G. Used my injector shut-off often.

My return over the same route lowered this to 70.4 MPG for the 64.2 miles. I may have done better with more favorable conditions (see weather report at bottom of ScanGauge report).

Hope you can read the figures. I need to find a better way to snap pics of SG2. Too dark with no flash and reflections with flash.
Please correct me if I am wrong. The round trip is 70 MPG, so this would be :

64.2 Miles / 70.4 MPG => 0.91 Gallons

The first leg is :

32 Miles / 103 MPG => .31 Gallons

Soooo, that means the return uses this many gallons :

0.91 - 0.31 = 0.60 Gallons

Therefore :

32 Miles / X Return MPG = 0.60 Gallons

Or, X Return MPG = 32 Miles / 0.60 Gallons => 53.3 MPG

Would you agree? Since the MPG swing is very large, the NET elevation change must be having a huge effect on the 100 MPG run because the swing is 46+ MPG.

To me, the greater accomplishment in all of this is that you are getting "Metro/VX" class performance on a heavier weight/engine displacement car :

Geo Metro : 1.0L, 3-cylinder, 5-speed, 1830 lbs
Honda VX : 1.5L, 4-cylinder, 4-speed, 2094 lbs
Ford ZX2 : 2.0L, 4-cylinder, 5-speed, 2541 lbs

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 12:49 AM   #1227
REDUCE is the first R

Okay... a bit over 93 mpg US tonight, as per pen and paper... The only trick left in the box today was PSI - so up it went all 'round, from 42.5 to 47.5...

Same round trip, same station, same pump, all that good stuff...

5 mph faster (40 mph average),

*Outside* temperature was COLDER! As low as 39F, compared to 45F last night (4c versus 7c).

Tonight, I did not utilize gallons and miles for the display - I stuck with LHK
I did switch for comparison once I had fuelled... Scanguage showed 93.7 mpg over 101 miles

I have 4 tricks left that are planned, but they won't all get done in the next week, so... it may take a little longer to crack 100 mpg US on a rounder...

Edit: clarification.... *Outside* temperature.

Old 11-20-2006, 01:33 AM   #1228
Registered Member

Be carefull with temperature gauge observations when there is no water being circulated.

Depending on the placement of the sensor will vary its truthfullness.
The water temp is an average at best , if you slow down or stop the flow completely you could be showing a normal temp but in reality be boiling watwer is certain parts of the engine.

I have seen many times cylinder head warpage or partial seizures when there has been air in the cooling system.
This doesnt show up as higher temps on the gauge - but they are there.

So the point is , dont believe the temp gauge 100% - ever.
onegammyleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 04:40 AM   #1229
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartzuuk
Oh, BTW, just wait until the 35 Scanguage orders at Club smart car get filled. (I'm expecting delivery this week.) For Example...
Excellent. Bring on the smart experiments.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 08:00 AM   #1230
REDUCE is the first R

onegammyleg:
That was the outside temp to which I referred... If my car were 4c there would be trouble!