Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2006, 03:48 AM   #271
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickflipjr
Well, krousdb seems like he has mastered the hills of pittsburgh
I just use them to my advantage. A carefully planned route is key. Not to mention a bit of luck.

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 06:37 AM   #272
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFi
Just a quick update...Just installed a deep cycle battery. Had to purchase a rather expensive Optima 'yellow top' because it was the only deep cycle I could find that would fit in my battery tray. Installed a battery charger in the vehicle and disconnected the alternator. The alternator tensions the belt for my water pump, so I left it in there as an idler (very little drag without a field). Expect this to push me into the 60's finally....we'll see!
A few questions: where did you install the charger? No problems starting with the deep cycle? CCA on a deep cycle would be very low, right? Probably not much good for a Canadian winter...*thinking hard*.

Old 05-29-2006, 08:23 AM   #273
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to mtbiker278
Just for my own gratification

320.xx miles on 7.8 gallons

figures out to a hair over 41mpg, 90% highway

Best tank yet
mtbiker278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 09:08 AM   #274
Registered Member

Last tank on the Tahoe got over 500 miles!!!!
512.4 miles, 29.540 gal, 17.346 MPG!!
Normally only get about 470 but this tank last quarter pumped tires to 55 lbs and put in Halo plugs!
Thinking about maybe some under drive pulleys and maybe an electric fan instead of the belt driven fan. They both helped on my race car!
katman@everestkc.net

For AMSOIL products
https://www.lubedealer.com/kat

For Herbs from the Amazon
https://www.168336.amazonherb.net
GasSavers_katman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 10:01 AM   #275
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katman
Thinking about maybe some under drive pulleys and maybe an electric fan instead of the belt driven fan.
A belt drive fan in a post-80's vehicle? That's the first one I've heard about. What was GM thinking when they did that???
Old 05-29-2006, 10:10 AM   #276
Registered Member

Congrats on the great tanks, guys. Is that a personal best for you too, katman?

I'd ditch the belt and go electric if it's a constantly "on" pulley. Some have clutch pulleys, don't they? My brother's Camaro had a hydrostatic fan pulley. The fan didn't exert much pressure until the fluid in the pulley heated up.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 02:13 PM   #277
XFi
Registered Member

Deep Cycle Battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95metro
A few questions: where did you install the charger? No problems starting with the deep cycle? CCA on a deep cycle would be very low, right? Probably not much good for a Canadian winter...*thinking hard*.
Charger itself is installed inside the vehicle. I ran the wires through the firewall up to the battery. The plug I initially ran to the front of the vehicle, but decided to just put it under the hood for right now. If this works like I am hoping, I will direct connect the charger to the battery (get rid of the positive and negative clamps) and run the electrical plug to be accessible without opening the hood.

The battery charger is a Black and Decker 6a/4a/2a (made by Vector) direct DC charger (not the older alternating type). I probably should have gone with a more powerful one, but this one works fine overnight.

The battery I got is an Optima 'yellow top' deep cycle battery, 34/78 family. The cranking amps are pretty impressive for a deep cycle...870ca and 750cca. Should be fine for winter starts.

My concern with this set-up for the winter months is the lack of daylight. Notice a considerable draw when the lights are on. To reduce the draw, I will be switching to all LED light soon (except headlights obviously). No problems driving yesterday and today for a few hours, even had my lights on for a while. Have a voltmeter plugged into the cigarette lighter outlet to constantly monitor my voltage.

I will post my results at my next fill up

Join us for the November 22, 2008 Pennsylvania Meet at Cabela's!
https://www.gassavers.org/showthread....634#post121634
XFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 02:24 PM   #278
Registered Member

Thanks XFi, that's very cool. Eventually I'll look at doing something like this. Too much other stuff to work on right now (and most of it doesn't involve the car ).
Old 05-29-2006, 02:47 PM   #279
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
in a pinch

In a pinch you could kick in the alternator - add a switch in the car on the dash to allow alternator charging should your battery get low or while braking - down hill etc - may as well save a little charging energy from the grid.
Yellow tops are about the best SLA batteries for what you are doing.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 03:04 PM   #280
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanGeo
In a pinch you could kick in the alternator - add a switch in the car on the dash to allow alternator charging should your battery get low or while braking - down hill etc - may as well save a little charging energy from the grid.
Yellow tops are about the best SLA batteries for what you are doing.
I agree, that's a good idea. Just a flip of a switch and you can put a charge on the battery.

zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote