Saw something interesting Electric/addon - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-17-2008, 08:53 PM   #1
Registered Member

Saw something interesting Electric/addon

Saw this electric "addon" setup. it looks pretty interesting as I was thinking the same thing as I'm coasting along, saying to myself,,,If I could connect a electric motor to my rear wheels of my front wheel drive car. I could get a little push when on the freeway. not much just enough to keep things going. And then I ran across this site. I have an e-mail into them. I'd like more info.

http://www.poulsenhybrid.com/poulsen.html

Also what about the idea of putting a transfer case like they use for four wheel drives in my 2 wheel drive F150... Maybe from a Junkyard. Only instead of a drive shaft to the front wheels I put an Electric motor? And throw it in Neutral when I'm cruising and kick on the electric...
I see a plan emerging ('Ol Big red may become a Hybrid)

MrGiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 04:23 AM   #2
Registered Member

Sadly the add on electric regeneration is not very efficient, less than 40%.

Hydraulic regeneration is currently as high as 78%.

By the time you figure the added weight you are carrying around you will probably not see much of an improvement.

Its called a "Launch assist axle" and recovers braking energy for reuase for acceleration. Virginia Tech is working with my design and should have some efficiency data by Christmas.

Coulld be an option on cars in two years, possibly a retrofit. Potential is better city mileage than highway, like hybrids.

regards
gary

Old 06-18-2008, 02:00 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGiff View Post
Saw this electric "addon" setup. it looks pretty interesting as I was thinking the same thing as I'm coasting along, saying to myself,,,If I could connect a electric motor to my rear wheels of my front wheel drive car. I could get a little push when on the freeway. not much just enough to keep things going. And then I ran across this site. I have an e-mail into them. I'd like more info.

http://www.poulsenhybrid.com/poulsen.html

Also what about the idea of putting a transfer case like they use for four wheel drives in my 2 wheel drive F150... Maybe from a Junkyard. Only instead of a drive shaft to the front wheels I put an Electric motor? And throw it in Neutral when I'm cruising and kick on the electric...
I see a plan emerging ('Ol Big red may become a Hybrid)

Nice to know about!
Don't know if this one works: http://ca.autos.yahoo.com/p/661/new-...plug-in-hybrid
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 04:14 PM   #4
Registered Member

My thought has been a little different...have a very low power electric motor, maybe a starter motor (the idea was born while looking at the dead starter motor on my Cadillac). Have some sort of clutch setup on the transaxle so you can either drive normally, or disconnect the transaxle and use the electric motor. Use the motor for low speed crawling, such as through McDonald's drive through, parking lots, gas line at Costco, etc.

Shouldn't be that hard to implement...if you have access to the correct fabrication tools...

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote